Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Push

What do you call yourself?

when people ask me what i do for a living, i say i´m a graphics- and motiongraphics designer / animator. i think it describes the stuff i do pretty well. everyone who does what we do for a living is not an artist the way i see it. my sense of what makes an artist an artist is that he/she does whatever their creativity drives them to, regardless of money or fame aspects, and eventually he or she can make a living out of that, too. but that´s not the case if you have clients. you do what they want, the purpose of your work is to sell another product or idea, not your own work, eventually bring in some of your own creativity, and that´s it. it´s not art. at least not from my point of view.

what many people consider art even if it fits the above criteria isn´t art for me either, but that´s the thing about art, it´s subjective. and even if someone thinks he is an artist because he puts make-up on faces so be it. in a few years probably everyone on this planet will be an artist. then we will have to find another word for it :D

I actually never label my self as anything. I avoid the issue by simply telling people what I do rather than telling them what I am. That way they can decide what I am.

K

• Topic Author
  • As I started this thread I should really say what I call myself, and that's 3D graphic designer, if I have to. I usually just describe what I do because people generally say "what is a 3D graphic designer?" anyway.

Trouble is, saying '3D' these days often confuses people. Half the people who hear that term immediately think 'spear flying out of the screen towards the audience' 3D! So I often find myself having to clear that one up.

K

Guest dataflow

'Hate'?

Hate should be reserved for those that do evil, and even then, doled out in small quantities.

I think people can call themselves what they want to, and they should be able to identify however they want without being judged, or for goodness' sake, 'hated'.

The only difference between artists and non-artists is that artists make art.

And sometimes they might not even know that what they are doing is art.

i said i hate "IT" the term not the person saying it.

so please dont put my post into your own incorrect context

I was just trying to say that I reckon it is OK for people to call themselves what they like.

And, for what it's worth, in the right context, I call myself an artist, hopefully without pretension, and hopefully with some justification.
    But even if I am a pretentious wannabe (quite possible), I reserve the right to identify myself however I see fit.

I agree that there can (is) good and bad (and awful) 'art'.
    But if someone wants to think of themselves as an artist, a transgender person, a care-giver, a Green Bay Packers fan (oh! don't get me started!), I think that is fine with me.

At what point did anyone state that people are not allowed to call themselves whatever they want?

K

Guest dataflow

Ok, r-e-l-a-x. 

When you said that you '...hate it when people call them self...', I assumed it had something to do with the people doing the calling, understandable, yes?

I was just trying to say that I reckon it is OK for people to call themselves what they like.

And, for what it's worth, in the right context, I call myself an artist, hopefully without pretension, and hopefully with some justification.

But even if I am a pretentious wannabe (quite possible), I reserve the right to identify myself however I see fit.

But if someone wants to think of themselves as an artist, a transgender person, a care-giver, a Green Bay Packers fan (oh! don't get me started!), I think that is fine with me.

BTW, I am also a GB fan and I refuse to accept that we are not going to the superbowl, I am pretending that we are.

just like people can call them self what they want people can also "Hate" what people are calling them self without judgement

When you (and some others) said you hate it when they do.  If someone hates something I do, I tend to think of that as somewhat prohibiting said activity.

For example:

'I hate it when he leaves the toilet seat up.'

Appropriate response:

Put the seat down when finished.

Example:

'I hate it when you call yourself an artist.'

Appropriate response:

'OK, I will try not to do that around you, seeing how it upsets you so much that you hate it.'

If you tell someone that you hate something they do, that is not encouragement to do that thing, right?

Of course, you don't have the power to ban people calling themselves artists, but you do have the power of personal sanction, which (again, could be my misunderstanding here) it seems you want to apply in these circumstances.

If you reckon people can call themselves whatever, that is a good thing, that is nice.

People are free to call themselves anything they like. I'm also free to have an opinion on that. Sometimes it might not be what they want to hear. But as long as it's honest, what more can they ask for. And if anyone gets overly offended, it probably means I'm on to something.

K

Guest dataflow

When you (and some others) said you hate it when they do.  If someone hates something I do, I tend to think of that as somewhat prohibiting said activity.

For example:

'I hate it when he leaves the toilet seat up.'

Appropriate response:

Put the seat down when finished.

Example:

'I hate it when you call yourself an artist.'

Appropriate response:

'OK, I will try not to do that around you, seeing how it upsets you so much that you hate it.'

If you tell someone that you hate something they do, that is not encouragement to do that thing, right?

Of course, you don't have the power to ban people calling themselves artists, but you do have the power of personal sanction, which (again, could be my misunderstanding here) it seems you want to apply in these circumstances.

If you reckon people can call themselves whatever, that is a good thing, that is nice.

no when i say i hate something it means just and only that.

there will be a lot of things im sure i do and say that people hate but i wouldnt think that they want me to stop doing or saying it.

unless they said "i hate that can you stop doing it" the key words "Can you stop doing it" the word hate has nthing to do with stoping that action

So you can hate something, but I cannot judge you for that hatred?

Again where did you get that from?

No, it may or may not mean you are onto something.

If you're secure in your belief, right to the core, someone's passing opinion is likely to be of little consequence.

K

P.s. The odd thing is, everyone who knows me personally and has an understanding of what I do considers me an artist. Most uncomfortable.

From Dataflow's post, where he said 'people can also "Hate" what people are calling them self without judgement'.

I think you've read that wrong (though, to be fair, I don't think the punctuation was on point).

I think what he meant was, I can say I hate without it being a personal judgement on the person saying it.

As for "You keep saying 'where do you get that from'" the above example aside, you did draw inference that wasn't there in the previous example.

K

I cannot find evidence herein where I said anything like 'you guys are trying to prohibit people from calling themselves artists'.

bonobo, on 21 Jan 2015 - 11:39 AM, said:

This suggests you think we seek to deny you that right.