Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest kittonian

New Graphics Card - Which one for Mac?

Guest darby
  • Topic Author
  • Not to sound rude, but if you honestly believe that you cannot achieve "reasonable graphics performance" on a Mac I have a hard time believing you've ever worked on the platform in a professional environment. Most design houses are Mac based and with the amount of money we've invested in Mac Pro machines you don't just "switch to Windows". This is not a situation of a student in a bedroom, this is a company.

I have 2 Mac pros, 1 Z820, 1 Z840 and 2 BOXX machines of questionable worth at my work desk. Suffice to say that this is not a "student in a bedroom" situation either. We have an integrated workplace where all the Windows and Mac machines have equal opportunity.

When it comes to Mac vs. Windows it seems outdated to limit yourself to one or the other; it's an arbitrary limitation in an industry that I believe should primarily be concerned with process and results rather than what logo was on the box you used.

I definitely wasn't suggesting throwing anything away. I'll keep every one of my machines until they die or become entirely obsolete.

Guest darby
  • Topic Author
  • Logo, company, brand promise, OEM. Every brand offers a different package and the logo is the visual shorthand for what you're getting, so yes, in a somewhat poetic sense I think almost all of our decisions are based on logo.

I just like to consider more than one logo when making purchase decisions :)

Logo, company, brand promise, OEM. Every brand offers a different package and the logo is the visual shorthand for what you're getting, so yes, in a somewhat poetic sense I think almost all of our decisions are based on logo.

Well, that's an entirely different matter from buying by logo, which your previous post suggested. A brand loyalty thing. I couldn't care less who makes my kit, only how it works. I suspect it's the same for most people in the trenches.

Guest kittonian
  • Topic Author
  • Logo, company, brand promise, OEM. Every brand offers a different package and the logo is the visual shorthand for what you're getting, so yes, in a somewhat poetic sense I think almost all of our decisions are based on logo.

It has nothing to do with a logo. It has to do with OS X vs Windows, and hardware that is made to work together so there are no issues. I have no interest in spending my time solving one computer issue after another. I need the machines to work without issue and that's exactly what we've got going on with our Apple products.

Amen

All I know is what I experience every day on my Mac Pro and that is that I never ever ever have to fight my machine. It just purrs and never crashes. A all I know is what I experience every day on my Mac Pro and that is that I never ever ever have to fight my machine. It just purrs and never crashes. And just the thought of an SQL puts me in a cold sweat!

But sometimes the built-in dictation on my iPad that I'm using right now will put things in twice!

Whoever said that things don't make you happy obviously didn't have Cinema 4D

Guest DTea
  • Topic Author
  • kittonian, please share which card you end up with and your experiences. It will be of much interest and use to us Mac users here.

Also, I wonder why MAXON chose to use a Mac for all the NAB 2015 presentations? (Throws a grenade into the room and runs away).

Guest darby
  • Topic Author
  • That's fine. It sounds like you want a limited number of supported components that work flawlessly.

However, I've never felt that one of my Windows machines worked any less flawlessly than one of my Macs.

From a hardware perspective: valar morghulis - all components must die. I've had more hardware die on my Macs than my Windows machines but that is entirely anecdotal. Luck of the draw.

From a software perspective I have no anecdotal experience at all that tells me one is more solid than the other. Applications occasionally crash or conflict on both.

Your reply is a perfect example of what I meant by 'the logo': there's apparently a perception of Apple's brand that their machines 'just work.' I haven't found that to be any more true of a Mac than a Windows box though, so my judgments are based on a different perception.

Guest darby
  • Topic Author
  • I provided an answer to the OP's question 11 hours ago. The rest of this has been bonus tangentially related anecdotal information (huzzah!).

I eagerly await your answer to the OP.

Guest kittonian
  • Topic Author
  • From everything I've read and all the benchmarks I've seen, it looks like the GTX 980 (4GB) is the way to go. Unfortunately, even though B&H has the card with the ACX 2.0 cooler for $549.99 right now, there doesn't seem to be a publicly available EFI/ROM to flash the card for the Mac. Yes, I know it'll work out of the box without the boot screen but not having the ability to boot to another drive or do anything technical prior to the OS being fully loaded is not acceptable.

So, it looks like I'm going to have to have MacVidCards do the work (or buy it straight from them $835). They only charge $180/card to flash and the price difference between me buying it from B&H and having them do it, over just buying it straight from them actually saves me $105 per card.

Everyone seems to swear by these guys but I'm not liking the fact that they don't provide a phone number to contact them. I e-mailed them last night and have yet to receive a response. When spending this kind of money I like to get a warm/fuzzy by speaking to someone. The one caveat I read, but cannot confirm, is that clearing the PRAM renders the card useless. That seems pretty odd to me and I am looking to get confirmation from MacVidCards on this issue before moving forward.