Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest kittonian

New Graphics Card - Which one for Mac?

Guest kittonian
  • Topic Author
  • A couple of good Cafe threads to tap into:

Interesting thread from my perspective because it forced me to do a 180 degree turn on selecting a graphics card.  Until then, I was waiting for the Maxwell architecture to hit the Titan series (what ultimately became the TitanX).  As you know, I went with the K5200 after that thread forced me to do additional research --- plus I got tired of waiting for something with a bit more memory than the GTX980 to come out of nVidia (GPU memory is a key factor in TFD's ability to calculate the simulation cache)

You may also find this thread extremely useful:  

Also, look for any post from Srek on graphics cards or PM him directly for his feedback.  He is closest to the run around MAXON has been having with nVidia -- some of which he describes in his posts.

Finally, if you really want to deep dive into the Titans, and GPU rendering, there is no better thread than this:

Note that in the last two threads, IceCaveMan has some important insights.  That may be another person to PM as well.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you for those links. I read through every post and it looks like although some people are saying the GTX series cards including the Titan are doing great, the consensus on professional production environment that require the ultimate in stability, it's the Quadros that should be purchased. Which of course supports my findings at this point to go with the K5000 Mac edition. No modding/hacking, just a straight up supported Mac card.

... I'll try to post more on this subject when I have time because it's something I've been following for the past few years being a Mac Pro 5,1 user myself with a standard ATI 5870 card... But for now I'll say that it could be well worth considering the iMac to get really good OpenGL performance from Cinema ... Not the Retina, I haven't tested that enough with C4D yet... But suffice to say the iMac with the 4GB graphics beats the hell out of my Mac Pro on working performance... (not rendering obviously) ... The problem I have with upgrading graphics cards in the Mac Pro is that you largely have to go by what others tell you in forums etc... You can't exactly try before you buy with graphics cards. And what works for one person might not work for you. In the end I've just decided to make do with what I've got...

... just to add... for what you mentioned, working with openGL shadows and everything, I can honestly say that the iMac with 4GB graphics card won't disappoint.

I've got the iMac 5k with the system maxed out to highest specs. Faster performance in the viewport then the standard iMac as I've used both though I haven't tested with huge scenes. Of course from cinebench scores the new iMac is more powerful but that screen is said to consume some graphics power just to run. Saying all this I recently installed boot camp on my machine and cinema 4d, because I needed to use a windows plugin - shocked I must say by the increase in performance in windows compared to Mac OSX on the same machine. On the Mac I have a scene with thousand of clones and high res textures and can barely navigate the scene with textures turned on whereas it is smooth as silk on windows.

Guest kittonian
  • Topic Author
  • A rather interesting update. Our Accel Display Port to Mini Display Port cables finally arrived today and as a test, I plugged them into our current graphics cards (an ATI 4870, an ATI 5770 and a GTX 120). To my surprise all 3 cards came up with the correct resolution using their mini-display port. That being said, there are issues.

ATI 5770: Surprisingly ok performance and so far so good with C4D - the systems fans start spinning up and the Mac Pro gets quite a bit louder when doing anything in the viewport

ATI 4870: Very slow/choppy/artifact ridden performance driving the 34UM95 display. When trying to run C4D with the app window stretched to fill the entire screen, the viewport does not display properly. Instead you get crazy purple/yellow/green artifacts

GTX 120: Very slow/choppy performance driving the 34UM95 display, however C4D will draw the viewport and then freeze the entire system rendering it useless until you hard reboot by pressing and holding the power button on the front of the Mac Pro

Of course my guess is that even though the 5770 is working it's magic, it's not going to be as strong as the Quadro K5000 (Mac Edition), but it's nice to know it works.

Guest kittonian
  • Topic Author
  • I spoke with Nvidia today and finally got a clear answer as to why the GeForce series is less stable than the Quadro series.

Nvidia licenses their GeForce technology (used in their GTX series cards) to quite a number of different manufacturers and allows a huge amount of leniency on what they can put out. So, buying a GTX 680 from one manufacturer and buying a second GTX 680 built by another manufacturer can be wildly different in terms of performance and stability.

On the other hand, their Quadro series is tightly restricted and only a few manufacturers are allowed to build them. Nvidia keeps a close eye on these manufacturers and ensures that they all build them to their specifications without any deviation.

This is of course why there is a premium for the Quadro series and the drivers Nvidia releases are far more stable over the GTX series.

I also got a nod when I stated that there is no real difference in the hardware itself, besides ECC memory and potentially better cooling, between the Quadro and the GTX. It is the oversight of the Quadro series that demands the premium.

• Topic Author
  • Did they suggest that their drivers are designed with C4D in mind or that MAXON do any certification with specific drivers? I've never seen anything official that seems to suggest that. You can go to the AD site and see which drivers are certified for which apps like Autocad, Maya etc but I've yet to see anything like that for C4D.

Guest kittonian
  • Topic Author
  • Did they suggest that their drivers are designed with C4D in mind or that MAXON do any certification with specific drivers? I've never seen anything official that seems to suggest that. You can go to the AD site and see which drivers are certified for which apps like Autocad, Maya etc but I've yet to see anything like that for C4D.

​No, nothing more than what I posted was discussed, nor do I believe there are specific drivers with C4D certification in mind. That would be great though.

• Topic Author
  • Yeah, that's what I suspected. It makes me wonder if there is any point really in investing in a Quadro for C4D work, I switched from a Quadro K4000 to a GTX 970 and saw no appreciable difference in C4D really, but I got speed ups in Maya 2016 which has GPU evaluation for the viewport now.

Guest kittonian
  • Topic Author
  • A really nice guy in North Carolina was recommended to me yesterday and after a lengthy conversation with him, along with a few e-mails back and forth, he offered me two of the GTX 780 cards (flashed for Mac) at an amazing price, with the guarantee that if the fans are too loud (he sets them at 40% continuous for cooling) or I have any issues, I can return them for a full refund.

I figured that for less than 1/4 of the price of buying two K5200 cards and hoping we could get them stably flashed for the Mac, we would start with the GTX 780 (6GB) cards and see how they perform. I should receive them sometime next week and will report back.

For what it's worth - I bought a GTX 680 4096 MB from Macvidcards for my 5,1 Cheese Grater at the end of last year and it's been great. I, also, was unsure of buying from a small vendor, but the card arrived timely, with all cables and has worked great.  I'd buy from them again (not associated with them at all).

The overall performance gain over my 5780 has been remarkable!  Good luck!

e.

evanalexander.com     Abusing chromatic aberration heavily since 2011....

Guest kittonian
  • Topic Author
  • EAlexander,

Glad you had a good experience with MVC. I tried dealing with them and found them to be rude, condescending, and just plain unprofessional. Not sure if you ever tried communicating with them or if you simply ordered off their website.

------------------

I received the GTX 780 (6GB) cards yesterday and let me just say, they are amazing!!!! That being said, they are definitely louder and cause the PCIe fan to speed up a bit, but that can be controlled with Mac Fan Control. It's free software and you can regulate your Mac Pro fans individually as you see fit (just know what you're doing or you'll hurt your system). I just backed off my PCIe fan a bit to lessen the noise.

Now, let's talk C4D and my LG 34UM95 Ultrawide display (3440x1440 resolution):

From a C4D perspective I'm quite shocked. When I had my 4870 installed the viewport wouldn't even draw. My 5770 worked pretty well as long as you didn't enable extra viewport OpenGL items like shadows, fx, transparency, and noise. If you did the entire system would freeze, requiring holding the power button down and doing a hard reset.

The GTX 780 on the other hand allows me to enable every single viewport extra and work without any slowdowns. It hasn't crashed or hiccuped once and we tested it for hours yesterday across two different machines with different projects.

Big thanks to my new go-to video card supplier/flasher MacProFx.io. I highly recommend him.

the 34UM95 is sick eh?  I love having full size viewport next to full size octane or arnold preview window and still room for object/layer manager etc.

glad the new cards work well btw !

ten

Guest kittonian
  • Topic Author
  • the 34UM95 is sick eh?  I love having full size viewport next to full size octane or arnold preview window and still room for object/layer manager etc.

glad the new cards work well btw !

ten

​Incredible display! We bought one for each of our offices. I had to do something on an older machine that had a 20" Apple Cinema Display yesterday and it was like working on a really old laptop. Crazy how fast you get used to these things.