Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest kittonian

New Graphics Card - Which one for Mac?

From everything I've read and all the benchmarks I've seen, it looks like the GTX 980 (4GB) is the way to go. Unfortunately, even though B&H has the card with the ACX 2.0 cooler for $549.99 right now, there doesn't seem to be a publicly available EFI/ROM to flash the card for the Mac. Yes, I know it'll work out of the box without the boot screen but not having the ability to boot to another drive or do anything technical prior to the OS being fully loaded is not acceptable.

So, it looks like I'm going to have to have MacVidCards do the work (or buy it straight from them $835). They only charge $180/card to flash and the price difference between me buying it from B&H and having them do it, over just buying it straight from them actually saves me $105 per card.

Everyone seems to swear by these guys but I'm not liking the fact that they don't provide a phone number to contact them. I e-mailed them last night and have yet to receive a response. When spending this kind of money I like to get a warm/fuzzy by speaking to someone. The one caveat I read, but cannot confirm, is that clearing the PRAM renders the card useless. That seems pretty odd to me and I am looking to get confirmation from MacVidCards on this issue before moving forward.

​I've purchased two GTX 780 6GB cards from MacVidCards, really great experience, but USPS sucks and gave me issues. But then again I'm in canada and I'm sure that had something to do with it.  Hopefully you've figured your thing out with them. Video card also came with instructions and had troubleshooting literature for someone who doesn't know what's going on(me).