Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3DKiwi

Things with wheels - Winners

• Topic Author
  •  

Wheels2015.gif

Hi everyone. Wow, some outstanding entries and judging was difficult. Judging was based on modelling, texturing and the final rendered image. Unfortunately a couple of really good entries were let down by their renders. Otherwise they may have placed higher. Thought we should mention this in case people were wondering how come some entries didn't place as well as may have been expected. The winners are:

1st Place - Bigbot

2nd Place - mrmoose

3rd Place - ion

Honourable mentions:
    Skyv68
    CmonHamed

Well done to the winners and to all those that entered. Challenges will now have a rest for a little bit.

Regards
    3DKiwi & Hsrdelic

Guest skyv68

Just want to say well done to everyone but I have a couple of quiries.

Im just curious what the judges thought had let the other renders down???  Before I go on im thinking how to word this carefully as I dont want it mis-construde that im bitter or trying to offend anyone!!!!

How can a unfinished model/render ( the artisit/entrants words not mine ) be over a finished item. Surely the whole point of a deadline is to work to it and if you dont complete it within the deadline then you havent completed the challenge. If Id known that i would have entered my half finished model in the ' model a jerry can ' challenge last time around.

I would just like some claification on what the judges criteria is for an entry /  specific items ( textures, modelling, lighting etc etc. )

In the original challenge breif/rules itwas stated as 'Note: Judging is on modelling and texturing. We're not terribly interested in originality.' Ok, I understand the originality bit.  But at the top of this post you have stated 'Judging was based on modelling, texturing and the final rendered image' . You cant change the rules at the end?!?!

Just curious on what makes one model better than another or one texture better than another.

Congratulations guys. Great work. I wanted to enter this one but I actually had an animation project I was working on for someone so I never had the time. It was wheel based but not modelling.

Congratulations to the winners and all taking part.

Superb work here. Very impressive modeling skills Bigbot, I think you should be banned from competitions  :lol:

:smile: thanks flippyfloop.  I love these challenges only because they're a great way to create new pieces of work.   Its not about winning more learning new ways to do things i guess.  i still think if there should be  a novice and a more advance category for submissions there may be more involvement.  Newer artist will be less intimidated .  Since there are all levels of skill here at the cafe.

thanks again

Congratulation to the winners. Great works!!! :thumbsup:

Great challenge! Nice wheels BigBot!

Guest drb1981

Skyv68, I'm with you 100% on your comment. Whilst I take my hat off to everyone in the elected top 3 it's clear that there were other entries that should be in their place. The two honourable mentions are far better in terms of modeling and texturing than a couple of those in the top 3. Unfair rulings like this will most definitely deter people from entering in future.

Congrats.. ^^

Really great work,there..

For me,

It is my first time to participate in a challenge here...

I'm trained to use render passes to get a result like this,

post-182089-0-49399300-1431707485_thumb.

so using PS is essential in my workflow and in the last 3 months I started using Arnold renderer for Maya...

Both of the 2 methods are not allowed in the competition..So I had to use the physical renderer for the 1st time...

Also,if the rendering is that important,post production should have been allowed !!!

Anyway,This was really fun for me and looking forward to new challenges..

Cheers,

Hamed GFX

• Topic Author
  • Re judging - Modelling wise I thought that the entry by Skyv68 was the best and if the judging was on modelling only then this entry would probably have won. The reason it didn't place in the top 3 was because it was let down by the rendering and lighting. Compare the lighting and rendering to the winning entry by Bigbot.

Yes I didn't say judging would be on the final rendered image in the rules. Surely by stating that judging would include texturing that therefore includes rendering?

Just curious on what makes one model better than another or one texture better than another.

Judging is always subjective. The 2 judges didn't agree 100% and we had a bit of correspondence going back and forth until we came up with the results. What you think is better may well be different than what I think is better. I can only go on my judgement and experience with running these challenges.

There's a simple solution to things. There will be no more challenges or challenges where there are winners. We could move to a new format where people just enter for the hell of it. Just a theme and a cut off date. No other rules.

Guest skyv68

Sorry. I wasn't trying to 'rock the boat' or stir the dung' ( or words that won't appear here!) I was just after a bit of clarity in the way the rules are stated and some constructive critism.

Please don't stop the challenges. They a lot of fun!! Can we just a rewording on the rules so we know exactly what we are expected to produce and what we are being judged on. I don't mean pages and pages of rules. Just a clearer description in the initial brief!