Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3DKiwi

Things with wheels - Winners

• Topic Author
  • Re judging - Modelling wise I thought that the entry by Skyv68 was the best and if the judging was on modelling only then this entry would probably have won. The reason it didn't place in the top 3 was because it was let down by the rendering and lighting. Compare the lighting and rendering to the winning entry by Bigbot.

Yes I didn't say judging would be on the final rendered image in the rules. Surely by stating that judging would include texturing that therefore includes rendering?

Just curious on what makes one model better than another or one texture better than another.

Judging is always subjective. The 2 judges didn't agree 100% and we had a bit of correspondence going back and forth until we came up with the results. What you think is better may well be different than what I think is better. I can only go on my judgement and experience with running these challenges.

There's a simple solution to things. There will be no more challenges or challenges where there are winners. We could move to a new format where people just enter for the hell of it. Just a theme and a cut off date. No other rules.

Guest skyv68

Sorry. I wasn't trying to 'rock the boat' or stir the dung' ( or words that won't appear here!) I was just after a bit of clarity in the way the rules are stated and some constructive critism.

Please don't stop the challenges. They a lot of fun!! Can we just a rewording on the rules so we know exactly what we are expected to produce and what we are being judged on. I don't mean pages and pages of rules. Just a clearer description in the initial brief!

• Topic Author
  • Sorry I though saying judging on modelling and texturing was sufficient for most people. I think that's generally what we've said with most challenges. When I wrote the piece above and said " and the final rendered image" I didn't go back to check the rules as my interpretation and the other judge's interpretation was that it included the final rendered image. If not then why ask for renders. We could have just gone on unrendered screengrabs.

Challenges in their current format have now come to an end. I agree that we should be encouraging less experienced people to enter and maybe by not having any winners these people will be more inclined to have a go. At any rate, they are going to take a break.

Cheers

Nigel

Guest skyv68

Fair enough. As with any written/typed statement they can be interpreted in many ways depending on the person reading it.

Can I second the idea of 'classes' ( not the most appropriate word. Sorry) say novice user, moderate user and advanced user etc. it will be pretty clear to other entrants and the judges if someone is submitting a piece in the wrong 'class'. It may mean a little more work for the judges ( having to come up with 3 lots of finishing places) but it will give a much leveller playing field and not put new users off having some fun.