Rendercore Lab
Rendercore Lab
arail

so what happens to the cafe when Nigel dumps c4d?

171 posts in this topic

Thanks for the kind words guys :)

Modocafe.com In fact I had this domain name and some others just in case I got the urge to start a modo forum. I relinquished all these domain names last year or whenever it was. I have zero interest in starting a Modo forum. The Foundary operated forum works pretty well. Now just maybe I'll post some Modo tutorials on my Vimeo page along side my C4D ones. Time will tell. I've forgotten how to use Modo. Bought some beginner tutorials today plus downloaded all the ones that I had previously bough from Luxology in the past.

Now you can see why I didn't want to take donations and shut down the supporter's club. Not appropriate for me to take people's money with me moving on. I've been thinking about moving on all this year. Modo 901 just sealed it. At the end of the day the person owning and running this site needs to be pro C4D and supportive of Maxon. In all honesty I can't be supportive of Maxon any longer and my posts this year have often been quite uncomplimentary at times. That in itself started to make the alarm bells ring for me that it was time to move on. The way The Foundary interacts with their customers compared the almost code of silence from Maxon, that just pisses me off more. Members of The Foundary Management post regularly in their own company forums answering questions and clarifying things. That's a community that I want to be part of.

Re R17 and what's in or not in as the case may be. I can't comment because of the NDA. I'll certainly be dropping in here once R17 is announced to see what you people make of it.

So what was the point of this huge site software change if you are leaving and dropping C4D??

Better I upgrade the cafe than a new owner not familiar with things take over then mess things up (more than I have). I want the new owner to start with things clean. All the 3rd party modifications have been removed. Everything you currently see is all done with the default applications apart from installing 2 custom themes which are dead easy to install or remove.

Off to ride my bike

So let's cut to the chase - your new modo tutorials will start appearing when? Let's see, today's Saturday .... so maybe by this coming Wednesday? By the end of the week? 

Obviously I'm just kidding but your talents in this regard are sorely needed in the modoverse. As I've said before, it's one of the big modo weaknesses - lack of tool specific tutorials. In this universe your tutorials were the best amongst many, but  over there they would be the best amongst, well ... none.

So get on the stick and start producing, okay? I'll hold off on upgrading to 901 in order to pay for some of your tutorials. 

So let's cut to the chase - your new modo tutorials will start appearing when? Let's see, today's Saturday .... so maybe by this coming Wednesday? By the end of the week? 

Obviously I'm just kidding but your talents in this regard are sorely needed in the modoverse. As I've said before, it's one of the big modo weaknesses - lack of tool specific tutorials. In this universe your tutorials were the best amongst many, but  over there they would be the best amongst, well ... none.

So get on the stick and start producing, okay? I'll hold off on upgrading to 901 in order to pay for some of your tutorials. 

LOL. I needed a chuckle! ​From what I've seen there really is only about 1/5 or 1/10th of the available tuts in modo compared to the c4d universe. At least so it seems to me.

Edited by IceCaveMan

I noticed the "pissed off" attitude in many posts over the past week/months, but honestly, didn't see this coming (*). On the other hand who could blame you.

I have mentioned it earlier in a private message, and I will mention it here again: thank you 3DKiwi for all the time and efforts. If it wasn't for the Cafe and tutorials I probably wouldn't have purchased Cinema4D back in 2005 in the first place. Lately however I have felt the same as many regarding MAXON: "too little, too late", and am still making up my mind about the renewal of MSA. As a hobbyist I am not ditching C4D Studio just yet, but R16 (maybe R17) might be my last version.

Sad to see you go. Whoever will take over this place, it won't be the same without you.

(*) Now I "get" your replied private message.

LOL - Modo tuts. I've had to buy some today to help me get up to speed. There's actually plenty of very good ones and some good tutorial specific ones, you just have to hunt around the likes of Youtube to find them. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for me to make some. I'm looking to have more time to myself and my own 3D rather than making tutorials. That said, making a tool specific tutorial is an excellent way to learn everything about a specific tool.

Cheers

Nigel

I came to the Cafe back in the days of Release 8 I think it was, I'd have to go look at the discs to be sure, the time of the flight school comp when he and 3D Crew were the owners, and Nigel's tut's were what got me going. That he has kept this place running for so long and so well deserves nothing but praise and thanks, but it's not a huge surprise. There must have been times when the whole enterprise must have seemed like too much work and aggravation to continue and now here we are.

Not entirely for being fed up with MAXON I stopped at R13, personal circumstances at that time played their part, but not properly maturing some of the basic tools and including, to me, unwanted features made the continuing upgrade not valuable.

Nothing remains the same. We await developments but maybe not with baited breath.

Thank you.

Edited by SKP

I'm a long time lurker and have spent many years learning from this website and I'm very surprised to hear the news that Nigel is moving on although I can completely understand.

This doesn't bode well for R17 as I can hardly think Nigel would be moving on if R17 answered our concerns, likely it deepens them.

I hope whoever takes the reigns continues to promote the good atmosphere on this forum which makes it a pleasure to read and hope it doesn't become a de facto MAXON controlled forum like CGSociety.

I also lurk around on the Modo forum so I expect I'll keep up with your modo experience, good luck with your future endeavours Nigel and cheers for this invaluable resource that you've built.

I think of you, Nigel, as Mr C4D and I have learned SO much from your superb and comprehensive tutorials and from the messages and examples files (I have a huge collection) of C4D Cafe. To me it feels very sad that you are jumping ship and definitely incongruous.

It's hard to express how appreciative I feel towards your efforts but you are very very much appreciated and respected.

It really surprises me that MAXON is not doing back flips to keep a person as important as you are to the company happy! You must have been their ultimate sales booster.

Good luck and happy cycling!!

I have to say even though stating with c4d somewhere before version 8 and being a member of the cafe as long as i can remember, by version 11 I was looking at MAYA and even blender to do my 3D work. I am a one man show and MAXON was getting more are expensive and letting more and more of the features to rot on the vine. I only upgraded to 16 because of a work contract, the first that required C4d only in YEARS. I still like the interface overall and the ease of use that is infused into C4D and I still need it for work, but like a lot of people the writing seems to be on the wall.

As for Nigel leaving, it's really a loss for the C4D community ( I think we can say his dedication to us and the product is what made many of stay with it, not MAXON) but after so many years its normal to move on to other things. As a cyclist, good on him! As a follower of the cafe, good luck on your new endeavours away for C4D. You have helped me a lot over the years and I can't express my appreciation enough. 

Just like to chime in and say thank you to Nigel and the moderators for making the Cafe an excellent resource. I hope it can live on. I'm rather stuck with C4D as I do motion graphics and Modo just doesn't fit the bill for me at the moment. I'm not going to be paying for the MSA this year as I'm still using R15 rather than R16 and I'm not buying R17 blind. If R17 has some killer features I'll pay the penalty and upgrade at a later date - but I think my mix of R15 and 3d Coat (and it's new PBR workflow) will be sufficient for me. I do motion tracking in AE, I do all my Bodypaint and retopo stuff in 3D coat. 

Well, I have to post something about this one here: I joined the C4DCafe in 2005. It was always a great place to find help and resources for Cinema 4D.

Now get clear: If the C4DCafe gets closed because of 3DKiwi drops and leave Cinema 4D so the C4DCafe aswell I will missing something great. I know the Cinema 4D community was always very hard to convince about my Works but they also helped me a lot.

Now something about 3D Software: I have Cinema 4D R16 , Modo 801, Blender, LightWave 2015 and Z-Brush. I will update all those 3D Software everytime with the new versions come out. The only 3D Software I droped last year was Z-Brush. I always say there is nothing wrong to use several 3D Software but I hate this compare between 3D Software. If someone is not Happy with a 3D Software about the development and pricing policy jump to Blender, It's free and opensource, so you can make you own 3D Software with a Make a Film Button :)

I work with a 3D Pipeline and Cinema 4D is the main part of that Pipeline. Since 2013 I'm Betatester for Cinema 4D. I love Cinema 4D and it will stay my Main 3D Software also for me Cinema 4D ist the most stabile 3D Software out there., Maybe that's a swiss thing. We stay with that what we have :) on the other hand I do not earn money with 3D, it's not my main job; therefore it might bother me less, how fast new tool are coming.

Now to completion: I think every 3D Software has strengths and weaknesses. The 3D marked moves so fast and the time will bring some great things for everyone.

I will miss 3DKiwi and the C4DCafe and I would like to say a big THANKS to 3DKIWI for the last 10 years.

SaL CDA

Edited by salvatore

Quitting being a beta tester tells volumes about whats coming with R17.  Hope its not TO disappointing !!

Anyway....thanks for running the site all this time Nigel, and for all the tuts.  Some have been invaluable in my learning c4d.

ten