Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

arail

so what happens to the cafe when Nigel dumps c4d?

I've known this discussion was coming for a while but it's still a little sad for me to see it. That's a selfish reaction though really because I guess part of me wants things to stay how they are. Change is hard but often it leads to better things in the long run. I totally understand Nigels' decision to leave the beta (I did the same myself after 2 years on it) and to stop running the cafe. If you invest a lot of time in something it has to be something you are very passionate about, otherwise what's the point?

I'll always appreciate that when I first started looking into this crazy world of 3D I found this site and Nigels' tutorials which in a calm and reasonable voice explained things that were a complete mystery to me as a beginner. I remember when Nigel remarked a couple of years later in a private conversation 'I wonder could you make a living it this?' I took it as a vote of confidence that someone I consider a great teacher of 3D thought I might manage that. And he was right, these days I do make my living from 3D and I love it. So I have a lot to thank Nigel for.

Regarding MAXON/C4D in general and the sentiment here, I have my opinions that's obvious to most I'm sure. Part of why I left the beta was so that I could express them without appearing disloyal to MAXON. I prefer to be a paid customer and voice my criticisms and concerns as one, I feel it puts me on even footing with anyone else who pays their fees each year.
I have however no plans myself to stop using C4D any time soon. To be blunt, I make money using C4D and Maya as as long as that's true I'll keep forking out for the MSA for C4D and my Maya subscription. If it gets to a point where I'm not making a reasonable return on that investment each year then I'll ditch the one that's not making me money. In the meantime I've very much open for business for all C4D users that need high quality character work and will remain so as long as there's a demand for that.

Back to Nigel and the Cafe, I commend him for all of his hard work over the years steering this ship with enthusiasm and always in a fair and reasonable way and wish him the best of luck for his new adventures with Modo. The Modo community I'm sure will benefit from that and more power to him and them.

:thumbsup:

Cheers,

Brian

I want to echo Brian's sentiments to Nigel. I am a relative old timer at C4D Cafe and I would not have upgraded from C4D 6 had I not found good tutorials at the cafe which were scarce in those days. 

Cinema 4D has definitely lost some luster over the years but I love the procedural aspects of it with NURBS and Mograph. I still like C4D over Modo with the exception of its material workflow and renderer. The thing that keeps me from going Modo full tilt is the navigation and its lack of a procedural workflow(once you drop a tool that is it)

Rob

Thanks for the kind words guys :)

Modocafe.com In fact I had this domain name and some others just in case I got the urge to start a modo forum. I relinquished all these domain names last year or whenever it was. I have zero interest in starting a Modo forum. The Foundary operated forum works pretty well. Now just maybe I'll post some Modo tutorials on my Vimeo page along side my C4D ones. Time will tell. I've forgotten how to use Modo. Bought some beginner tutorials today plus downloaded all the ones that I had previously bough from Luxology in the past.

Now you can see why I didn't want to take donations and shut down the supporter's club. Not appropriate for me to take people's money with me moving on. I've been thinking about moving on all this year. Modo 901 just sealed it. At the end of the day the person owning and running this site needs to be pro C4D and supportive of Maxon. In all honesty I can't be supportive of Maxon any longer and my posts this year have often been quite uncomplimentary at times. That in itself started to make the alarm bells ring for me that it was time to move on. The way The Foundary interacts with their customers compared the almost code of silence from Maxon, that just pisses me off more. Members of The Foundary Management post regularly in their own company forums answering questions and clarifying things. That's a community that I want to be part of.

Re R17 and what's in or not in as the case may be. I can't comment because of the NDA. I'll certainly be dropping in here once R17 is announced to see what you people make of it.

So what was the point of this huge site software change if you are leaving and dropping C4D??

Better I upgrade the cafe than a new owner not familiar with things take over then mess things up (more than I have). I want the new owner to start with things clean. All the 3rd party modifications have been removed. Everything you currently see is all done with the default applications apart from installing 2 custom themes which are dead easy to install or remove.

Off to ride my bike

• Topic Author
  • So let's cut to the chase - your new modo tutorials will start appearing when? Let's see, today's Saturday .... so maybe by this coming Wednesday? By the end of the week? 

Obviously I'm just kidding but your talents in this regard are sorely needed in the modoverse. As I've said before, it's one of the big modo weaknesses - lack of tool specific tutorials. In this universe your tutorials were the best amongst many, but  over there they would be the best amongst, well ... none.

So get on the stick and start producing, okay? I'll hold off on upgrading to 901 in order to pay for some of your tutorials. 

So let's cut to the chase - your new modo tutorials will start appearing when? Let's see, today's Saturday .... so maybe by this coming Wednesday? By the end of the week? 

Obviously I'm just kidding but your talents in this regard are sorely needed in the modoverse. As I've said before, it's one of the big modo weaknesses - lack of tool specific tutorials. In this universe your tutorials were the best amongst many, but  over there they would be the best amongst, well ... none.

So get on the stick and start producing, okay? I'll hold off on upgrading to 901 in order to pay for some of your tutorials. 

LOL. I needed a chuckle! ​From what I've seen there really is only about 1/5 or 1/10th of the available tuts in modo compared to the c4d universe. At least so it seems to me.

I noticed the "pissed off" attitude in many posts over the past week/months, but honestly, didn't see this coming (*). On the other hand who could blame you.

I have mentioned it earlier in a private message, and I will mention it here again: thank you 3DKiwi for all the time and efforts. If it wasn't for the Cafe and tutorials I probably wouldn't have purchased Cinema4D back in 2005 in the first place. Lately however I have felt the same as many regarding MAXON: "too little, too late", and am still making up my mind about the renewal of MSA. As a hobbyist I am not ditching C4D Studio just yet, but R16 (maybe R17) might be my last version.

Sad to see you go. Whoever will take over this place, it won't be the same without you.

(*) Now I "get" your replied private message.

LOL - Modo tuts. I've had to buy some today to help me get up to speed. There's actually plenty of very good ones and some good tutorial specific ones, you just have to hunt around the likes of Youtube to find them. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for me to make some. I'm looking to have more time to myself and my own 3D rather than making tutorials. That said, making a tool specific tutorial is an excellent way to learn everything about a specific tool.

Cheers

Nigel

I came to the Cafe back in the days of Release 8 I think it was, I'd have to go look at the discs to be sure, the time of the flight school comp when he and 3D Crew were the owners, and Nigel's tut's were what got me going. That he has kept this place running for so long and so well deserves nothing but praise and thanks, but it's not a huge surprise. There must have been times when the whole enterprise must have seemed like too much work and aggravation to continue and now here we are.

Not entirely for being fed up with MAXON I stopped at R13, personal circumstances at that time played their part, but not properly maturing some of the basic tools and including, to me, unwanted features made the continuing upgrade not valuable.

Nothing remains the same. We await developments but maybe not with baited breath.

Thank you.

I'm a long time lurker and have spent many years learning from this website and I'm very surprised to hear the news that Nigel is moving on although I can completely understand.

This doesn't bode well for R17 as I can hardly think Nigel would be moving on if R17 answered our concerns, likely it deepens them.

I hope whoever takes the reigns continues to promote the good atmosphere on this forum which makes it a pleasure to read and hope it doesn't become a de facto MAXON controlled forum like CGSociety.

I also lurk around on the Modo forum so I expect I'll keep up with your modo experience, good luck with your future endeavours Nigel and cheers for this invaluable resource that you've built.

I think of you, Nigel, as Mr C4D and I have learned SO much from your superb and comprehensive tutorials and from the messages and examples files (I have a huge collection) of C4D Cafe. To me it feels very sad that you are jumping ship and definitely incongruous.

It's hard to express how appreciative I feel towards your efforts but you are very very much appreciated and respected.

It really surprises me that MAXON is not doing back flips to keep a person as important as you are to the company happy! You must have been their ultimate sales booster.

Good luck and happy cycling!!