MAXON is happy to invite you to a 'MAXON User Meetings 2017' which are taking place on 29.09. in Cologne, 06.10. in Hamburg, 13.10. in Munich. Regardless where you are, you are more than welcome to join the meeting. :)

For some more information please click HERE!

arail

so what happens to the cafe when Nigel dumps c4d?

3D-Pangel    173

Will the Cafe continue?  I think because Hrvoje commented that it will implies that he will be the one doing it, but it takes more than someone behind the scenes managing the forum software to make the Cafe what it is today.  It takes someone with a deep personal commitment to help the Cafe members and the knowledge, time and talent to do so.  I think Hrvoje has all but one of those criteria: the time to do so!  My sense is that he is pretty busy pushing C4D development to meet our growing demands and that is a full time job for anyone.

Nigel was unique in that respect and people like him are few and far between.  MAXON does not realize that the C4D community lost a precious resource and unless someone like Nigel steps in (which would be miracle because Nigel was a class act and there are not many like him) there will be gradual shift in the community as a good number of users move away from the program and MAXON will be at a complete loss to understand what is causing it or how to stop it.

Dave

Icecaveman    66

I believe you misinterpreted Nigels decision? As far as I understood it his focus is now shifting from 3D in general and more toward biking and other personal interests. Running a forum for such a long period of time is very demanding and exhausting, I can guarantee you that although I just help administering it is a position which demands constant care. Also, I am sure that Nigel will stay active on forum even if he decides to stop running the show. Regarding R17, will reply later once I am home. My fingers and smartphones dont really work nice :)

​You know better than that to misconstrue his comments, Hrvoje. Yes he may have fatigue with the site's responsibilities. Yes he might want to bike more. But this much is equally obvious: he's not happy with MAXON and not happy with c4d.

As a MAXON employee...don't try that...it smacks of disingenuousness and deceit. I assure you it will make some of us that much angrier!

Edited by IceCaveMan

bobc4d    83

I've been here a long time and I wondered if something was up because you have been far more negative about MAXON/C4D than years past.  I do believe Nigel leaving C4D will send shock wave to MAXON, doubtful if anything will come of it, but I bet they will be aware and why you left.  Now I wish I had not renewed my MSA.  In a weird way I am not looking forward to R17 now, somehow it will feel anti-climatic and your leaving doesn't bode well for it because if it was a 'knock your socks off" update I believe you might have stayed around.

Nigel, you are an amazing person, you have freely given so much to the Cinema community, have asked nothing in return.  you will be sorely missed by me personally and all who use C4D in general.  Whichever direction you go, you will make an impact.

Peace be with you always Nigel.

Icecaveman    66

Thanks for everything, Nigel!

Sandidolsak    1

I remember when c4d cafe opened, it was such a fresh air coming from the c4dportal, it actually started as an animation forum when nobody did animations in c4d, all that xpresso love back then, good times...

Nigel, thank you for all the contribution to our community and stay awesome!

Cheers,

Sandi

Hrvoje, as admin, maybe will be new owner of forum as mentioned by Nigel, block this topic. Enough negative.

​I'm a moderator and have the power to lock this topic. I really don't want to and don't think it's warranted just because of a couple of more heated comments (which personally I happen to agree with, but lets not get too heated or personal in our comments guys OK?)

Lets just keep it as civil as possible folks and we're all good here. I do think though that members should try to focus on how much good Nigel did for the C4D community rather than on the negative implications of him leaving C4D for Modo.

I can't resist joining in the voice of those who hope that this sends a wake-up call to MAXON though. It's high time they had their own official forum IMO, I can't point to a single other developer who doesn't have that.

Cheers,

Brian

Edited by Horganovski

Unmastered    47

Hrvoje, as admin, maybe will be new owner of forum as mentioned by Nigel, block this topic. Enough negative.

Im sorry buddy, but no one is forcing you to read this thread. Locking this will be seen (by me) as a bad move. You can always skip this thread.

Nigel, you will be missed, but I will keep following you vimeo channel for good stuff. :)

HSrdelic    640

Ok they check but they don't care, it's maybe even worse. Sorry but Nigel decision is very symptomatic of what happens for a while now, a growing feeling of frustrations in the C4D community. Even you work at MAXON you couldn't ignore or deny that competitions are much more close with their users and seem to bring what users pay for. I have one question is there any chance to be as excited for R17 as we can be for the last Maya or Modo release?

​Who says they don't care?  Simple fact that there is no direct response doesn't automatically qualify as not caring or not knowing:)

You really think that forum is not being browsed, suggestion forms are for show, people aren't being heard? The only thing that is missing here is direct response and it is making people irritated. I can understand that but, in same manner I respect company policy (of any company) at same time. For example, should I post on, let's say, AUDI forum and say, hey guys, why aren't you more open, what's the future car you are working on? That other XYZ company told is it is working on ABC car.

Please, bear in mind that at this point in time, company policy is that it simply does not reveal its development plans. Doesn't mean it won't change in future. As far as other applications are concerned I can't comment on that due to fact I don't use them and am not familiar at all with their community and user wishes, but I presume they too are bashed by users on their forums for not providing A exactly in timespan B with features C. Take a step back and think about it a little bit. Who knows C4D best if it isn't people who made it and work around it everyday? People who design it? People who test it?

You are asking if there is any chance to be excited about R17? Of course, but that will be up to you because I don't know what either Maya or Modo bring nor I am familiar with their development or feature sets at all.

​You know better than that to misconstrue his comments, Hrvoje. Yes he may have fatigue with the site's responsibilities. Yes he might want to bike more. But this much is equally obvious: he's not happy with MAXON and not happy with c4d.

As a MAXON employee...don't try that...it smacks of disingenuousness and deceit. I assure you it will make some of us that much angrier!

​I can assure you that wasn't my intention. I just wanted to point out that his decision is not based solely on the fact of being unhappy with communication policy or upcoming features.

Wow I think everybody here has misinterpreted so. Yes running a forum takes time and it's should be even more tedious if he lost faith in the software he has always defended. Maybe you miss what he wrote on the Modo forum but I understandood he's shifting from C4D not from 3D, he just bought a Modo licence and will take time to (re)learn it from scratch. For R17 OK take your time to respond but please don't tell us to check at all the features MAXON has made to the last releases as you usually say because it's precisely the problem.

Sorry, ​I don't read Modo forums and I talk to Nigel privately, but of course I can't discuss personal conversations here.

Now about R17. I simply can't talk about feature set. What I can say in hope that I don't break any rules is following. If you take the time and check few past releases with user demands you will find most of them being fulfilled. Some aren't for only, and only 3 possible reasons and I leave that up to you to conclude because everything else would be breaking NDA. R17 is a really nice release that follows the same logic described few sentences back and I am personally very happy with it since some of the areas that I didn't think would get attention - did :)

@Dave

Cafe will continue, it is a special place where many of us made first steps and built careers.

Cheers

HSrdelic    640

And this topic is not going to be locked as long as we have civilized discussion. Heated conversation is appreciated, but as long as we are polite it is fine.

Man it is really difficult to participate in topics such as this one and know what I know and not being able to say anything :)

I believe we should all thank Nigel for incredible effort over the years for running the cafe, it is a lot of work to administer, organize challenges, reply to topics, build scene files, record tutorials and generally achieve that Cafe is one of the most polite and friendly forums out there. I also saw him as personal inspiration many times and he has given me support and later on his trust and confidence that I help him run this fabulous place

Cheers

peolo    0

thank you very much nigel for the great support over the last years. your site and tutorials was a big help and source of inspiration for me when i started learning  c4d in 2009. still one of the best resources IMO.

i wish you the best and a lot fun with modo.

cheers! 

Edouard    18

Now about R17. I simply can't talk about feature set. What I can say in hope that I don't break any rules is following. If you take the time and check few past releases with user demands you will find most of them being fulfilled. Some aren't for only, and only 3 possible reasons and I leave that up to you to conclude because everything else would be breaking NDA. R17 is a really nice release that follows the same logic described few sentences back and I am personally very happy with it since some of the areas that I didn't think would get attention - did :)

I had the chance to follow some of your trainings and hence I have much respect for you and your deep C4D knowledge but what are you talking about? Do you really think it would have a growing number of unsatisfied users if most of the users demands are fulfilled? Sorry but, as usual, for a MAXON employee there are absolutaly no problems at all and everybody should be happy. Honnestly it makes me remember how deep the gap between MAXON and its users really is and you are far to reassure me about R17, seriously :/ 

Edited by Edouard

arail    22

​Who says they don't care?  Simple fact that there is no direct response doesn't automatically qualify as not caring or not knowing:)

You really think that forum is not being browsed, suggestion forms are for show, people aren't being heard?

We've already had this conversation with Srek taking your position and it went nowhere.

Whether they browse these forums or not, they're not providing the upgrades that users have been requesting for years, offering instead things like the cogwheel or house builder which are just cheap gimmicks.

And you're wrong about other forums and other groups. Max users are excited about MCG, Maya users are excited about ... well, everything, Modo users are super excited about 901. And Cinema users just plain pissed off as they watch their software slip further and further behind the competition. Using Bodypaint to do UV work is like using a steam engine to run a computer.

This is not the time to sugar coat the facts or to try to stifle criticism, imposing a fake happy face on everyone. If 17 isn't a major release then the rush to the exits is going to be the big software news of the summer.