Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

arail

so what happens to the cafe when Nigel dumps c4d?

It depresses me to offer a big thanks to Kiwi for this site. Thank him for the tutorials and the forum chat and the fun place to come and read a review--for the past six years of my life?

Such a 'thank-you' feels like goodbye. I just can't do it.

• Topic Author
  • Folks, cafe wont close down even if Nigel decides to stop running the show and if so, the cafe will stay as it is with same positive friendly atmosphere :)

browsing from phone so am a bit short in replies, but be sure that everyone in MAXON knows for and often checks out cafe. :) Many developers and other MAXON staff have accounts but prefer to keep low profile.

​Good to hear both of these replies.

browsing from phone so am a bit short in replies, but be sure that everyone in MAXON knows for and often checks out cafe. :) Many developers and other MAXON staff have accounts but prefer to keep low profile.

Ok they check but they don't care, it's maybe even worse. Sorry but Nigel decision is very symptomatic of what happens for a while now, a growing feeling of frustrations in the C4D community. Even you work at MAXON you couldn't ignore or deny that competitions are much more close with their users and seem to bring what users pay for. I have one question is there any chance to be as excited for R17 as we can be for the last Maya or Modo release?

I believe you misinterpreted Nigels decision? As far as I understood it his focus is now shifting from 3D in general and more toward biking and other personal interests. Running a forum for such a long period of time is very demanding and exhausting, I can guarantee you that although I just help administering it is a position which demands constant care. Also, I am sure that Nigel will stay active on forum even if he decides to stop running the show. Regarding R17, will reply later once I am home. My fingers and smartphones dont really work nice :)

As I use Octane for materials and rendering and 3D-Coat for model creation, my R15 with Mograph and Cactus Dan's tools makes a nice fit. The only problem I have is slow viewport response with animation so it's hardware I need. HSrdelic's assurance that the Cafe continues is welcome. Bon voyage, Nigel!

I believe you misinterpreted Nigels decision? As far as I understood it his focus is now shifting from 3D in general and more toward biking and other personal interests. Running a forum for such a long period of time is very demanding and exhausting, I can guarantee you that although I just help administering it is a position which demands constant care. Also, I am sure that Nigel will stay active on forum even if he decides to stop running the show. Regarding R17, will reply later once I am home. My fingers and smartphones dont really work nice :)

Wow I think everybody here has misinterpreted so. Yes running a forum takes time and it's should be even more tedious if he lost faith in the software he has always defended. Maybe you miss what he wrote on the Modo forum but I understandood he's shifting from C4D not from 3D, he just bought a Modo licence and will take time to (re)learn it from scratch. For R17 OK take your time to respond but please don't tell us to check at all the features MAXON has made to the last releases as you usually say because it's precisely the problem.

Will the Cafe continue?  I think because Hrvoje commented that it will implies that he will be the one doing it, but it takes more than someone behind the scenes managing the forum software to make the Cafe what it is today.  It takes someone with a deep personal commitment to help the Cafe members and the knowledge, time and talent to do so.  I think Hrvoje has all but one of those criteria: the time to do so!  My sense is that he is pretty busy pushing C4D development to meet our growing demands and that is a full time job for anyone.

Nigel was unique in that respect and people like him are few and far between.  MAXON does not realize that the C4D community lost a precious resource and unless someone like Nigel steps in (which would be miracle because Nigel was a class act and there are not many like him) there will be gradual shift in the community as a good number of users move away from the program and MAXON will be at a complete loss to understand what is causing it or how to stop it.

Dave

​You know better than that to misconstrue his comments, Hrvoje. Yes he may have fatigue with the site's responsibilities. Yes he might want to bike more. But this much is equally obvious: he's not happy with MAXON and not happy with c4d.

As a MAXON employee...don't try that...it smacks of disingenuousness and deceit. I assure you it will make some of us that much angrier!

I've been here a long time and I wondered if something was up because you have been far more negative about MAXON/C4D than years past.  I do believe Nigel leaving C4D will send shock wave to MAXON, doubtful if anything will come of it, but I bet they will be aware and why you left.  Now I wish I had not renewed my MSA.  In a weird way I am not looking forward to R17 now, somehow it will feel anti-climatic and your leaving doesn't bode well for it because if it was a 'knock your socks off" update I believe you might have stayed around.

Nigel, you are an amazing person, you have freely given so much to the Cinema community, have asked nothing in return.  you will be sorely missed by me personally and all who use C4D in general.  Whichever direction you go, you will make an impact.

Peace be with you always Nigel.

Thanks for everything, Nigel!