Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

arail

so what happens to the cafe when Nigel dumps c4d?

One thing is very clear, as long as MAXON and its employees are in denial things won't change anytime soon for sure :/

52857465.jpg

Again I am taking the hit for trying to transfer the facts that users are in fact being listened too but due to company policy I am unable to say anything more. So, while I am trying to balance between NDA and the fact that I know exactly what you guys feel about MAXON not being more open, and all that as a person who is not authorized as MAXON public speaker, my position is simply not something you would envy. Please have in mind that I also had the similar opinion about before I started to work at MAXON, but then I finally got the insight into things I was completely unaware before. That being said, I honestly believe, as a long term Cinema user, that last few releases were very good and that direction that is being taken is the right one. Would I like to see things move faster and with more volume? Who wouldn't :)?

At this point I think I can say that I do actively participate at development and have provided input for many things already from "pro user" perspective, which will be visible in future releases. Walking on thin line here already, but personally, I am very happy with what future brings. One of the reasons I was hired was also the fact that I was very active in community and had extensive knowledge of both the app and had really good idea of what people think, want and need. Trust me, I have been freelancing for many years, I know Cinema inside out and am fully aware of it's strong and weak points. I spent numerous hours on research on cafe and other forums to filter information into quality material for examination.

We all here, all users, hobby and pro, including complete MAXON team, want C4D to grow in best possible way.

Only thing here that would satisfy people seem to be is to say out bluntly yes, "feature A and B are coming for R17", "feature D, E and F for R18", but that is simply something that is not allowed to be communicated right now, but could be subject to change in future,I simply don't know or make such decisions. What is interesting is that if you watch various MAXON workshops, presentations, user meetings things are often hinted by product managers themselves so it is not a difficult task to get a good idea of future feature set :)

Note: I was writing this post as HSrdelic posted twice(BTW, I to some extent understand where you are coming from)

Having worked at companies with NDAs I understand how difficult it is talk as an employee. That being said MAXON needs work on their PR. Specifically addressing the issues users have with existing features and tools. A simple PR email stating we are aware of the existing feature problems(listing each) and we are working to resolve them. It does not need to be specific i.e. timeframe, what service pack release, etc. 

In the same vein, I think any existing feature that a lot of users have issue with should be dealt with via a service pack release.

I still love C4D along with Modo and Houdini and I am looking forward to seeing what new features R17 will have.

After selling my 601 Modo license and only after The Foundry had acquired Luxology, I was contacted by someone from the sells department in order to try to understand why I sold it and what I'd like to see implemented in future releases. Believe me that they took notes about everything I said. This is a very welcomed PR strategy, even if what I said wasn't took into account for the following releases, this shows that they care and listen. How I'd love to see MAXON listening to their customers like that. 

As the last C4D updates, since R12, I'd say that they were all welcomed but very shy comparing with the competitors. I really can't remember how far back the community has been complaining about Bodypaint and UVs and how limited is the material channel system regarding the use of UVs, but MAXON response to these specific subjects has been a complete null. To me it shows how well it listens to their customers. I'm going to keep renewing my MSA until I'm able to make money with it but if things will continue the way they are, for sure I can see myself moving to other package!

That being said, I honestly believe, as a long term Cinema user, that last few releases were very good and that direction that is being taken is the right one.

I don't want to go around in circles with you but the last few releases have only aggravate the situation IMO. Maybe MAXON had the best of intentions but the result is just not that good sorry. Just talking about R16 I agree for the polypen tool (despite it lacks of a loopcut) but next to the tracking feature nobody asked for, the reflectance channel is cumbersome, slow and counterintuitive, TRS was bug galore, people begged for a better symmetry and uv tool you play with words with the new "enhanced" symmetry and the uv peeler. Even the old Magicsolo from Nitro4D works better than the new solo feature. Also no need to fill the Content Browser with a bunch of assets to try making the release bigger, check out rather Modo 901 page, that's a big release... https://modo901.thefoundry.co.uk/

Guest salvatore

I don't want to go around in circles with you but the last few releases have only aggravate the situation IMO. Maybe MAXON had the best of intentions but the result is just not that good sorry. Just talking about R16 I agree for the polypen tool (despite it lacks of a loopcut) but next to the tracking feature nobody asked for, the reflectance channel is cumbersome, slow and counterintuitive, TRS was bug galore, people begged for a better symmetry and uv tool you play with words with the new "enhanced" symmetry and the uv peeler. Even the old Magicsolo from Nitro4D works better than the new solo feature. Also no need to fill the Content Browser with a bunch of assets to try making the release bigger, check out rather Modo 901 page, that's a big release... https://modo901.thefoundry.co.uk/

​R16 was a Blast!! The Motion Tracker is very stabile and Fast, also so easy to use. The reflectance Channel is one of the best material improvement I ever seen in a 3D Software. The Contendbrowser in Cinema 4D was and is still awesome. If you realy can use and unterstand the Settings for the Physical Renderer you don't need VRay, Octane and all that stuff. I also use MODO. MODO is ok and very good in some Parts, but I also have a lot crashes in Modo by just switching Layouts. So please stop to hipe MODO in the Sky and make Cinema 4D down just because everyone talks about MODO now.

Good points all around this post. I just hope this doesn't end up being a West Side Story battle with all the choreography and the like :lol:

Thanks for all the efforts of the last decade Nigel, you've made a huge contribution.

And - as a fellow modonaut - see you on the other side ;-)

If you realy can use and unterstand the Settings for the Physical Renderer you don't need VRay, Octane and all that stuff.

​If nearly all pros (and others) go for an external solution it's not because Physical Render doesn't produce nice results but because it's probably the slowest renderer of the market.