Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

arail

so what happens to the cafe when Nigel dumps c4d?

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Very humbling :)

As mentioned there are personal reasons for moving on. Cycling is now my major thing in my spare time. I'd been thinking about stepping down from running the cafe well before Modo 901 was announced. Modo 901 as I've said is now a much better fit for what I do than what C4D is. Yes I have some issues with Maxon and how they run their business and I've been vocal about it. When you combine everything together it's clear that now is the time to move on. As I've found out in the past it's not viable to be proficient in 2 3D apps at the same time or not at the level I want to be.

Like hsrdelic I can't comment on R17. Some people I'm sure will like it.

THE CAFE WILL NOT CLOSE. It will have a new owner. I'll make an announcement soon. It should be business as usual as far as members are concerned.

Back to work. Monday morning here in New Zealand.

Nigel

With the exception of our mutual praise and respect for Nigel, this thread is devolving into yet another C4D bashing.  I may also point out that bashing C4D is becoming more commonplace for all the reasons mentioned.  

I feel for Hrvoje's position but do want to caution that regardless of the truth, it is hard to argue that MAXON listen's to its customers after many consecutive years of waiting for a significant update to Bodypaint and not getting one.  Now, this isn't like three guys from Scranton, NJ have been waiting for an update to how CTRL-SHIFT works as a hot key since R15 and been left wanting.  No, this is an entire user community screaming that a major portion of the software (once sold as a stand-alone product) has gone virtually untouched for half a decade!  

You just can't defend that!  Don't even try because to do so only works against your outstanding reputation and standing within the C4D community.  MAXON desperately needs more people like you (experienced users who know how to code) and I don't want you to get discouraged fighting a battle you cannot win when you are shackled by an NDA.

Now I understand MAXON's NDA policy.  But had every portion of the software been improved consistently over the years, I don't think it would be a big deal.  But to ignore such major portions of the C4D for so long and then go silent about it helps no one.  It does not help MAXON, its employee's and especially its users.  

Things have to change. Rather than try to change our opinions, please work within MAXON and try to change their policies.  Trust me, it will be an easier battle to fight.

Until then:  Is this how we want to remember Nigel's C4D Cafe?  

Do we really want to turn a place that grew in popularity because it unselfishly reached out to all users with welcoming arms and gave them the support they need to grow their skills into nothing more than a sounding board for our frustrations with MAXON?

Nigel's enthusiasm and training is what brought me to C4D.  The phrase "How cool is that!" is probably permanently ingrained in our collective conscience.  

I hope that spirit continues.

Dave

And how cool is that :)

To all folks that feel that there is no response from MAXON at all and that we are unaware of users request and concerns: I will do my best to to propose some changes in this area regarding communication directly to people in charge. I am sure, given that I know them and know how responsible and dedicated they are, that they will take this into serious consideration. Maybe in close future we will have some new members which could answer some of the questions you have now ;)

I am sure Nigel will stay around and will never actually leave his 3d passion ;)

Cheers

It strikes me that there's a very simple thing MAXON could do that would send a clear message to the C4D community that they are engaged and listening to them :

Open an official forum!

Seriously, can someone name any other software company that doesn't have one? I can't think of one of the apps I use and that even includes tiny one-man operations like Topogun and Headus UV Layout, never mind major apps like ZBrush, Maya, Max Unity etc etc. apart from - C4D!

Cheers,

Brian

Open an official forum!

It's crystal clear.

​MAXON does have a forum at Cineversity. I don't use it because I rarely post on forums other than this one.

I assumed the Cineversity one was specifically for their members and users of the tutorials, not a general C4D one (we always hear from MAXON that Cineversity are a separate company and not directly connected to MAXON). Perhaps I'm wrong on this though.

When I Google 'C4D forum' most of the links that come up first are 3rd party ones and when I go to the MAXON site and search there I get a list, again of 3rd party forums.

http://www.MAXON.net/support/MAXON-related-links.html

By contrast if I Google 'Maya forum' the first result is the official Autodesk one, same thing with ZBrush, the first result is the Pixologic owned site ZBrush Central.

Cheers,

Brian

​MAXON does have a forum at Cineversity. I don't use it because I rarely post on forums other than this one.

Cineversity forum is not advertised as the official MAXON forum, it's more like C4DCafe or CGtalk and MAXON USA is not in charge of the Cinema 4D development. Users don't need another help forum but a forum where they can submit new features, suggestions or even frustrations to the development team.

And how cool is that :)

To all folks that feel that there is no response from MAXON at all and that we are unaware of users request and concerns: I will do my best to to propose some changes in this area regarding communication directly to people in charge. I am sure, given that I know them and know how responsible and dedicated they are, that they will take this into serious consideration. Maybe in close future we will have some new members which could answer some of the questions you have now ;)

I am sure Nigel will stay around and will never actually leave his 3d passion ;)

Cheers

​You, Srek and others walk a very thin tight rope in trying to convey that YES, MAXON is listening to us the user base and YES they understand what we are saying about buggy features and wish lists, your unenviable position is have to do that within the narrow framework of the NDA and hence is not easy to relay that MAXON actually is working on things.  

to turn this back toward the topic, I look forward to your unofficial leadership in steering this site and from knowing from the tutorials you created, I know we, the users, are in good hands.

Sad to hear you leaving the C4D community and the beta tester group Nigel,
learned a lot from your tutorials and from hanging around at c4dcafe, thanks for all your efforts :)