Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

arail

so what happens to the cafe when Nigel dumps c4d?

so basically MAXON needs to revise their NDA. 

And once in a while publish at least an article, which covers what bugs/issues are being worked on. 

Guest artzfx

Well Nigel's announcement is very sad indeed.  His little Jet plane tute was what made me buy C4D9.5 in the first place.  Now having just renewed my MSA last week, I am hoping R17 is not a waste of money.  

Anyhow, thanks for the great service and help over the years Nigel.  Best of luck in the future.

As for MAXON... they still make the most intuitive interface of any 3D app for my preference anyway, but their Secret Service attitude toward customers and new feature announcements/roadmap is 20 years out of date.  I could understand keeping WOW features a secret to surprise the competition but there hasn't been a wow feature for many years now.

Dear MAXON, you are now working with Allegorithmic... do yourself a favour and go visit their forum and UserVoice Feedback, that's how modern thinking app developers communicate with their customers.    

If even Yader learned from your tutorials that's really a compliment, Nigel!

And I sure hope he and SREK and HSrdelic and the other big boys keep hanging out here to share their amazing knowledge and leave those wonderful example files for dissection.

I, have no words really. Thank you Nigel!
For me too, c4dcafe was the start of something great. I echo the one who wrote that Nigel´s calm voice and basic and friendly approach were a big motivation for me to learn. I´ve had C4d since 8.5 I think... and if I rememebr correctly I learned from Nigel´s tutorials back then.
So I´ll leave the c4d bashing for another day and just say, again, thank you Nigel, and good luck on all future projects.

Hi Nigel, 
one big surprise for me, was when I saw that you have to pay for your C4D. I took it for granted that you got a free version each year. As I take it for granted that Nick Campbell & co get a free version. It is a shame, If what I have observed here is correct.  Correct me if I am wrong, please. There is something here going on that I do not know about, and that I don't want to know. Now, you want to use modo, good luck! I had version 501 and 601, sold them. modo - never again, I cannot stand messy user interfaces, despite all good functionality it might have. C4D, OTOH, is the versatile 3D application for my (mostly non-profit) use. With x-particles, and all the other new stuff.. 
I just wish you would continue to make your excellent C4D tutorials. All things have a start, and an end. I wish you good luck with all your new undertakings! 
I have learnt to appreciate this forum, a lot. It is just invaluable. 
Greetings from almost exactly the opposite part of the globe, Norway.
-Ingvar

Big kudos to Nigel for his years of hard work and help for C4D newcomers.  My sympathy and appreciation too for Hrvoje for doing his best and utmost under that pesky NDA.  I hope Nigel really enjoys himself and has a fulfilling time in Modoland.

Guest mAssimo

Completely shocked by this sad (for us) news. Like many here, I started learning C4D with the Cafe's great tutorials. I can't thank you enough for your enthusiasm and generosity, Nigel.

As much as I'm frustrated with MAXON after the latest Team Render Server DISASTER and their unwillingness to provide users of NET Render with an alternative solution while they try to fix that mess, I'm in Motion Graphics and there's nothing that can even touch C4D in that field. I must say "unfortunately" because even though MAXON have great people that go out of their way to help users (Srek, Patrick Goski, etc.), the bad taste of a company that doesn't seem to care about users' needs still remains. I actively tried to ditch C4D for other packages (including MODO) but at least for now nobody compares in terms of user friendliness and motion graphics features. The Mograph module is an absolute masterpiece that everybody using other software envies us. 

Sigh. I'd wish the company would change management style and open direct ways of communication with users. It's getting old.

Cheerio Nigel. All the best and many thanks for the site and tutorials.

I even came third in a challenge!

I may be following your decision soon. I haven't upgraded since R14 (despite having an R16 license) because there's not much reason to move. I use VrayforC4D for rendering arch viz stuff and the things that have been 'added' to versions since R14 have been pretty light for me - cogs, grass, motion tracker (I really don't get that one. Who does animation in C4D without AE/Nuke/Fusion? And all have their own trackers...). BodyPaint and MoGraph are (sorry, were) the killer apps in C4D. MoGraph is still great, but it hasn't had a decent update for years. And BodyPaint... it was so ahead of the game it used to be sold on its own, but now look at it. And don't get me started on TRS v. NetRender!

There's still lot's to like about C4D - stability, simplicity, the object manager, tags, 'live' nurbs, text handling...

But like many here, I'm just so disappointed that MAXON are letting the important areas languish or rot. It just doesn't feel like a modern DCC app to me anymore. Except where a third party has written something.

So, Maya, Max or Modo? (maybe that's all MAXON need to do, change the name to something beginning with 'M'!)

Hi Nigel, 
one big surprise for me, was when I saw that you have to pay for your C4D. I took it for granted that you got a free version each year....
-Ingvar

I've only ever bought C4D Release 8.5 and some modules. Wasn't the full suite but I recall it had Advanced Render, Dynamics (that were useless) and maybe something else. I had to pretend I was living in the USA and had it delivered to 3DCrew (The other cafe founder). He then posted it to me. The price of buying from the local distributor was about double the US price. I could have flown to the USA, paid for it then flown home again for less. Nothing much has changed since then except there isn't much of a price difference now. Still less in the US however and still less again if I was allowed to but from a US reseller. I bought Modo 801 (with free 901 upgrade) from a US reseller and saved $200 from buying direct from The Foundary. Depending on where you live now you can download C4D as opposed to having to have a boxed version.

Release 9 and since I've been provided with review copies and or been a Beta tester. I had a clean out of my cupboard a few weeks ago and threw out all the boxes including bulky manuals. Sure took up a lot of room. I've kept my boxed R16 edition.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It's been a hell of a ride but my time with C4D is over or will be soon. I'll be exporting my extensive library of Lego pieces over to Modo. There's more Lego models that I want to create and I don't want to start from scratch.

I should mention that my criticisms of Maxon are not about the people. The people that I've dealt with over the years have been very good to deal with. For anyone that's interested I've written an expanded list of issues I see Maxon as having here.

Cheers

Nigel

Well, I'm totally shocked to hear Nigel is standing down.

This forum and Nigel's tutorials have been the backbone of mine, and many many other C4D users, many of which have been inspired and gone on to have careers in 3D and motion graphics.

SO THANK YOU NIGEL, you will be sorely missed.

Keith

ps  I totally understand. When it's time to move on, it's time to move on.