Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Royk

Any 5820K, 5830K or 5960X users here?

• Topic Author
  • This actually sounds like you need a lot of RAM and a fast Harddisk. Those programs are open at the same time but do not do much when in the background but they need to hold their data in the RAM. If they don't the system gets slow. A different use case is when you render in cinema4d and have your render setting set to use 6 cores... then of course two more cores would keep your system running. Cinema is REALLY good at using ALL your resources if you let it have it :D But of course with a 6 core CPU you could set it to render with 4 or 5. Have fun deciding ^^

I am working with a 16-core (2x8) dual xeon workstation with 24GB of RAM. Before that it was a Quadcore with 8GB of RAM and 8 really is not enough. You should get 16 at least. The cores do not do much when working in PS or Illu or ID. But of course rendering is A LOT faster now ^^

Thanks StefanR,

This is one of my new config plans:

i7 5820K or the i7 5960x
    MSI X99S plus mobo
    GTX 980 ti 6GB
    32GB 2400mhz DDR4 (4 sticks so room for more in the future)
    2 x Samsung EVO 500GB SSD (for scratch and workfiles)
    1x M2. SSD 256GB (for main boot + programs)
    1 x 3TB traditional HDD for main storage
    Windows 10 machine (i've tried to stay with OSX)

I think this is quite a solid setup that can power my needs for the next years. What do you think?

What do you think?

This is very nice and will be good for years. Pretty impressive. I would just call this the best computer below workstation level ;) There's nothing that could be better, GPU is awesome, RAM is good for running two tabs in chrome at the same time (haha) and the number of SSDs makes me jealous :D

My private computer still works with a GTX460 with 1GB of RAM haha :D

• Topic Author
  • This is very nice and will be good for years. Pretty impressive. I would just call this the best computer below workstation level ;) There's nothing that could be better, GPU is awesome, RAM is good for running two tabs in chrome at the same time (haha) and the number of SSDs makes me jealous :D

My private computer still works with a GTX460 with 1GB of RAM haha :D

haha thanks! It took me a while. Reading a LOT of reviews, opinions, watching tons of youtube videos, specs, etc etc etc. ps, I work on a webshop and have several browsers open with a couple of tabs. i can tell you, those are ram eaters haha. They can really take down your computer performance hard. haha

For the M2 drive try and get hold of the Samsung SM951 nvme (512gb if you can afford it)  Its lightning quick and really makes a difference as boot / app drive - also very good running simulation cache to (TFD, XP etc)

ten

• Topic Author
  • For the M2 drive try and get hold of the Samsung SM951 nvme (512gb if you can afford it)  Its lightning quick and really makes a difference as boot / app drive - also very good running simulation cache to (TFD, XP etc)

ten

Yes, thats the one on my list. Very high read write 2gb / 1,2gb speeds :D

I won't take the time to read through all the answers, but just this:

-I have two Macs and have owned almost 20 of them
    -I built my first PC over the christmas holidays--using i7 56960x  (2 Nvidia 980)
    -I just completed building my *second* PC with the 5820K

What's awesome is that I can still boot up c4d on my mac and use the iron on the PCs for team rendering...or I can boot into my primary PC.  

My latest build is for use as a database server and a render node.

5820k is the best value in the market right now, IMO.

For OS I recommend Windows 8.1. You can get it for around $90 and you never will get cornered into needless slavescriptions.

I also suggest you save your money and not buy M2. An SSD is plenty fast. Disk access speed beyond that is sexy and gives bragging rights, but makes little real-world difference.

If you take the money you'll save and put it towards the beginning of your funding for another render node...you'll be working smarter/faster IMO.

I'm already beginning to plan for my third PC build of the past 7 months.

I also suggest you save your money and not buy M2. An SSD is plenty fast. Disk access speed beyond that is sexy and gives bragging rights, but makes little real-world difference.

Have you actually tested this yourself or did you just make it up?   I have both several fast current SSD drives and an M2 drive.  I've used them both as boot, application drives and for running simulations to (tfd, xp).

Windows boots notabily faster on the M2 drive, no big deal in itself but apps, plugins, reading projects etc are all noticabily faster loading and just nicer to use... again though, no big deal but nice to have.   However, I tested running a TFD sim to the M2 drive where before I had been using an SSD.  The sim time was halfed which as anyone who does simulations knows thats a little bit more than bragging rights.

ten

Ten, I know the M2 is crazy fast if you are going to boot a system. I know you can go do a cold boot in about 18 seconds.

But the bottle neck with most 3d work isn't the hard disk. It's CPU/GPU. You do have me curious for SIMS...which are storing tons of data. The thing is: I might use TurbulenceFD 4-5 times a year...and even there I'm a bit dubious of its value.  

I admit that you got me thinking about it...

I can confirm this much from Jascha re. Turbulence.

Store/Load the sim caches to/from the fastest drive you have (e.g. an SSD). Avoid network drives unless you're on a high-end network and file server (10GbE Isilon, etc.) 

If I was going to upgrade beyond a simple SSD I'd consider the following along with the Samsung SM951

Intel Solid-State Drive 750 Series SSDPEDMW400G4R5 400GB PCI-Express 3.0 MLC

-It is every bit as fast as Samsung SM951--some say faster
    -It is $360 for a comfortable 400GB

Overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxpwmrmw6jI

Depending on the motherboard you may or may not tie up a PCI card. Installing/configuring these are a bit trickier than just using a SATA.

Considering the difficulties many users are having installing/configuring these drives...and the inevitability yjsy prices will drop a lot in a year or so...I suggest waiting.

Totally agree about the CPU/GPU.  I only got the M2 drive as it was a good price locally and all my sata slots were full.  But after testing simulations out of curiosity I was pleasantly surprised with the results.  Cant wait for bigger drives and more slots!

The 750 is awesome but as you say it spanks a pcie slot which are gold dust now if you're GPU rendering :-)

I think there were a lot of issues with M2 drives when X99 mboards first came out.  Since then the later bios revisions seem to recognize the drives and you can install an OS directly from the DVD.  If that does not work you might have to rufus a USB stick and do it that way, but its not to hard.

I had the 951 windows install on an MSI x99 and Asus x99-e ws straight from the DVD, although I know others have had issues with other boards... YMMV

Beware though, on some boards the M2 drive uses up a ton of PCI-E lanes, so much so when its installed it makes one of your pcie slots defunct.  The only board I found this not an issue was my current one, Asus x99-e ws.  So if you need all your pcie slots and M2 drive check the specs and manual first !!

ten

Totally agree about the CPU/GPU.  I only got the M2 drive as it was a good price locally and all my sata slots were full.  But after testing simulations out of curiosity I was pleasantly surprised with the results.  Cant wait for bigger drives and more slots!

The 750 is awesome but as you say it spanks a pcie slot which are gold dust now if you're GPU rendering :-)

I think there were a lot of issues with M2 drives when X99 mboards first came out.  Since then the later bios revisions seem to recognize the drives and you can install an OS directly from the DVD.  If that does not work you might have to rufus a USB stick and do it that way, but its not to hard.

I had the 951 windows install on an MSI x99 and Asus x99-e ws straight from the DVD, although I know others have had issues with other boards... YMMV

Beware though, on some boards the M2 drive uses up a ton of PCI-E lanes, so much so when its installed it makes one of your pcie slots defunct.  The only board I found this not an issue was my current one, Asus x99-e ws.  So if you need all your pcie slots and M2 drive check the specs and manual first !!

ten

Ten...I need to clarify your post.  

If you have an x99 board you do *not* need to burn a PCI slot when using the Intel 750. You can connect to the M.2 port with an Asus "Hyperkit" . The performance is exactly the same w/this approach as w/PCI express.

All this is a little too bleeding edge for me to want to fuss with. I'll save my money and time until this is easier/cheaper.