Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Royk

Any 5820K, 5830K or 5960X users here?

Icey, exactly.  Although as I mentioned on a lot of x99 motherboards using the M2 slot even with the hyperkit will make one pcie slot unusable because the drive uses up the pcie lanes associated with that slot. 

The Asus x99-e ws is the only board I have found not to have this issue because it has some extra PLX chips that provide extra lanes.  In fact the x99e ws in theory could run 7x GPUs at pcie3.0 x8 speed and an m2 drive installed without issue...  might need a 2000+ watt psu  but im dreaming about 7 single slot titan X cards in octane here.... unf   ;-)

ten

• Topic Author
  • Thanks guys for the input. Ill dive much further in the m2. SSD story and make up my mind if I go for the m2 or not. I have Windows 8.1 overhere on my bootcamp for my gaming. And i have installed Windows 10 beta on my macbook. So I can throttle up to Windows 10 soon when it will be released. I am still on the edge about the 5820k vs 5960x. Both are awesome, but I think in main daily use, with bunch of programs open and still want a snappy system, an 5960x can be a better experience. If you spread the money that you have to invest on 3 or 4 years.. it will not be a big deal. Plus, i can imagine that on 5820k or an 5960x can be sold after that for bucks too.

Just a thought:

Macs have always been easy for me to resell. But I'm not so sure how easy it is to sell a DIY PC. 

Ask yourself: would you want to buy someone's generic PC that he assembled himself? 

I plan to grind these DIY machines into the ground by riding them hard and long.

• Topic Author
  • yes, Macs are easy te sell. U sell a whole machine + it has some magic around it for the eye. That is different wit a pc build. But GPU's and CPU's are okay to sell. Sadly Apple doesn't offer me something I need. I am in between an iMac and an Mac Pro i guess. The Macpro with dual GPU is not worth my money. My tools wont use them and most of my programs are CUDA + OpenCL based. So with an MacPro, I only can use the OpenCL. Basically, I am leaving Apple for my work station simply because they lack with choices. 

yes, Macs are easy te sell. U sell a whole machine + it has some magic around it for the eye. That is different wit a pc build. But GPU's and CPU's are okay to sell. Sadly Apple doesn't offer me something I need. I am in between an iMac and an Mac Pro i guess. The Macpro with dual GPU is not worth my money. My tools wont use them and most of my programs are CUDA + OpenCL based. So with an MacPro, I only can use the OpenCL. Basically, I am leaving Apple for my work station simply because they lack with choices. 

Oh...I agree...Apple didn't offer me what I needed either. Though a Mac guy all my life, I've built two Pcs in last 7 months and thinking about building a third.

I have an i7 5930k..I'm running Yosemite 10.9.4 and windows 7 64 bit on 2 separate SSDs..

I love Mac OS,but I really don't like any of Apple machines..The new Imac with its 4970k heat throttling,so 60% or 50% of CPU performance is lost due to bad cooling -_- ..For the Mac Pro,Apple expects me to pay for this ..

10K for a machine with 2.7 GHz CPU!! Really ?? and other guys pay 1k, get twice the single core performance of my 10k machine.. -____-

Also,Why should I pay for ECC memory and I will not use them,compared to usual RAM ?? No Cuda cores for AE,Pr and Octane??

For all these reasons I decided to build a Hackintosh and stay away from Apple machines..

I do most of my work on Yosemite not windows and I'm really satisfied with performance in my rig...

I get over 1200 cb score on Cinebench,that is the performance of the 12-core Xeon processor,found in Mac Pro machines and for the single core performance using Geekbench or Cinebench I get double the perfomance of the 12-core Xeon :D.For gaming on windows 7 64 bit with my dual 970s, I get more FPS than a single titan X or a single 980ti..

Those are My PC specs,

Core i7 5930k @ 4.5 GHz 

Asus X99-a motherboard

64 Gbs DDR4 Crucial Ballistix sport(8 stick,8GBs each)

2 * Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 gaming cards,4GBs each

2 * SSD Samsung Pro 850, 250 GB each

2 * Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM,2 TBs each..

Corsair H105 liquid cooler for the CPU

Seasonic platinum 1000 W,power supply and Corsair Graphite 780t case...

Total cost is below 2500 USDs (It should be less than that,but taxes here in my country are so much..)..