Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Royk

Any 5820K, 5830K or 5960X users here?

Hey guys,

At this moment my main driver is an 2011 iMac with an i5 3.1Ghz (no HT). It is getting a bit old and from a business perspective (Tax), its intresting to invest in a new machine. I am on the edge to switch back to Windows and build a nice heavy machine that helps my with my daily use of working in big Photoshop manipulations + recording my screen, big Illustrator files with a lot of vectors / objects and recently playing with C4D. (Learning). The plan is to move that to a professional level in the near future and offer my clients 3D options. 

The MacPro is just not an option because the dual gpu wil not be used in any of my tools. The Xeons are awesome off-course, but u will pay with pain in your wallet too :D In overal, the MacPro is a awesome machine, but not suite for me. (and i think for all 3D users)

Anyway, to make my point haha... I am very interested in some shout outs by C4D users who are using these 5820K, 5830K or 5960X intel cpu's. I am not sure if the 5830K is worth the €250+ vs the 5820K cause i am not going to work with an SLI setup. And with a bit of overclocking, the 5820K can hit the 4Ghz as well. So i think it is a choice between a much "cheaper" 5820K 6-core, and the much more expensive 5960X 8-core who toasting the 5820K in the benchmarks. But is it worth the money in C4D?

Ps, I think i combine the setup with an GTX 980 TI for the CUDA's and in a lost hour, for some gaming.

Looking forward to your comments. 

Skylake will be out soon and is about as fast as the 8520K.

Most notable differences, newer, efficiency and cheaper motherboards etc.

I was in the boat for a 5820K (...maybe 4790k costwise) but i will wait it out and see.

should be released at gamescon?.. early august..

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-skylake-core-i7-6700k-benchmarks.html

mlon

Skylake will be out soon and is about as fast as the 8520K.

Most notable differences, newer, efficiency and cheaper motherboards etc.

I was in the boat for a 5820K (...maybe 4790k costwise) but i will wait it out and see.

should be released at gamescon?.. early august..

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-skylake-core-i7-6700k-benchmarks.html

mlon

But those will be all quad cores right? (with HT) 

I do not own those processors but these things can be decided by looking at core count and GHz (as long as they're all from the same generation of processors or nearly the same) ...from what I see you'll save around 500-600$ with the 6 core compared to the 8 core. Those 2 cores will not heavily affect your working speed in Photoshop or Illustrator or Cinema4D (Photoshop and Illustrator like RAM and HardDisk Speed). It will influence your rendering (c4d, AE) of course and since cinema scales really well it's 33% faster with the 8 core. BUT with the money saved you could later (if your 3D plans work out) save a little more  and buy/build a second quadcore rendering machine  which in this case would give you 6+4=10 cores of rendering power. Maybe in time 6 core processors will be available for even less money. Of course this takes up space and needs more power/energy so costs more in the long run.

I personally would go with the 6 core and use the rest for a fast and larger SSD, more RAM and a better GPU. 33% more power is great but it still won't finish your projects in half the time and this setup would be good for all the Adobe Software you have.

If you'd be using C4D ONLY then I would recommend the 8 core. But with the Adobe Software in there (and it is also your main software so far) this is what I would do.

I do not own those processors but these things can be decided by looking at core count and GHz (as long as they're all from the same generation of processors or nearly the same) ...from what I see you'll save around 500-600$ with the 6 core compared to the 8 core. Those 2 cores will not heavily affect your working speed in Photoshop or Illustrator or Cinema4D (Photoshop and Illustrator like RAM and HardDisk Speed). It will influence your rendering (c4d, AE) of course and since cinema scales really well it's 33% faster with the 8 core. BUT with the money saved you could later (if your 3D plans work out) save a little more  and buy/build a second quadcore rendering machine  which in this case would give you 6+4=10 cores of rendering power. Maybe in time 6 core processors will be available for even less money. Of course this takes up space and needs more power/energy so costs more in the long run.

I personally would go with the 6 core and use the rest for a fast and larger SSD, more RAM and a better GPU. 33% more power is great but it still won't finish your projects in half the time and this setup would be good for all the Adobe Software you have.

If you'd be using C4D ONLY then I would recommend the 8 core. But with the Adobe Software in there (and it is also your main software so far) this is what I would do.

Clear answer StefanR! Thank you.

I have heard of those render-farms. Are those a second computer without a monitor, connected to your main computer in same way? 

Hey guys,

At this moment my main driver is an 2011 iMac with an i5 3.1Ghz (no HT). It is getting a bit old and from a business perspective (Tax), its intresting to invest in a new machine. I am on the edge to switch back to Windows and build a nice heavy machine that helps my with my daily use of working in big Photoshop manipulations + recording my screen, big Illustrator files with a lot of vectors / objects and recently playing with C4D. (Learning). The plan is to move that to a professional level in the near future and offer my clients 3D options. 

The MacPro is just not an option because the dual gpu wil not be used in any of my tools. The Xeons are awesome off-course, but u will pay with pain in your wallet too :D In overal, the MacPro is a awesome machine, but not suite for me. (and i think for all 3D users)

Anyway, to make my point haha... I am very interested in some shout outs by C4D users who are using these 5820K, 5830K or 5960X intel cpu's. I am not sure if the 5830K is worth the €250+ vs the 5820K cause i am not going to work with an SLI setup. And with a bit of overclocking, the 5820K can hit the 4Ghz as well. So i think it is a choice between a much "cheaper" 5820K 6-core, and the much more expensive 5960X 8-core who toasting the 5820K in the benchmarks. But is it worth the money in C4D?

Ps, I think i combine the setup with an GTX 980 TI for the CUDA's and in a lost hour, for some gaming.

Looking forward to your comments. 

I am not sure the 5830K is available but I have a new pc with the 5930K (6 core), 32 GB DDR4 and the GetForce GTX 980.  One thing I love about the system is that I created a landscape image that had 29 million polygons and I still had responsiveness in the viewport. I used to choke on 1 million polys with my old system 

Illustrations 1) view of 5 million poly landscape and 2) test render with 100,000 plants (60,000 billboard, 39,000 low poly and 1,000 higher poly)

Landscape5MillPoly.JPG

San-Giorgio-Pass-Illustration_Concept02.jpg

I am not sure the 5830K is available but I have a new pc with the 5930K (6 core), 32 GB DDR4 and the GetForce GTX 980.  One thing I love about the system is that I created a landscape image that had 29 million polygons and I still had responsiveness in the viewport. I used to choke on 1 million polys with my old system 
Illustrations 1) view of 5 million poly landscape and 2) test render with 100,000 plants (60,000 billboard, 39,000 low poly and 1,000 higher poly)

Landscape5MillPoly.JPG

San-Giorgio-Pass-Illustration_Concept02.jpg

Thanks Vrauckis,

Nice render!!! Sofar, from all the reviews i've read all over the internet, the 5830K is the one that is hard to sell. It cost almost 250 euros more than his little brother, and only have a small bump in the Ghz, and more PCI lanes. I am not going for a triple SLI setup or something. Just a brutal solo card and thats it. Maybe a M2. SSD. I cant wait to see 12 calculations in my render at 3,5 / 4 Ghz. Now i only see 4 @ 3.1 ghz :)

A Render farm is a service that is offered to you over the internet. You upload your scene and then they send the result back to you. And it costs money ^^ If you get your clients to pay for this service then you'll never need another computer. But every render that comes out with errors costs your money.

What I meant was just build a second computer to get additional cores. Yes there are special "render machines" or "render cubes" and each company gives them a unique name and those are just sitting there without a monitor, just a power chord and a LAN cable. And they can be accessed with windows remote desktop or similar software. You have to find out if this is worth it, though. You can just build a small machine for yourself, just a regular PC, and select the hardware yourself. It's just easier to get a preconfigured one, there's no special component in there. What you also need to know is that network rendering increases the amount of work you have to do (copying files, rendering prepasses, ...). Just rendering everything on a single machine is easier of course. If you're building up your rendering power step by step then at some point you'll end up with many "weak" computers. Let's say you'll have 5 Quadcores. At that point it would be a lot better to just have one workstation with 2x10 cores and one power supply instead of 5 x 4 cores with 5 supplies. It's not easy to decide what to do and there's no single answer to what is right.

If your work (the 3D part) will be mostly motion graphics (flying cubes, spheres, ...) you do not need additional renderpower. You can do that with one single computer. But architecture with animation or other visualization needs power.

5960x here clocked to 4.5ghz.  Blitzs through most things really, love it for Arnold rendering and other apps like houdini, adobe etc (although I would prefer if everything used the gpu like Octane as I have 3x titan x also !)   I looked at making a mini render farm with older i7 980 6 core machines (or the xeon equiv in dual cpu setup), which are going quite cheap now but decided against all the extra ball ache that comes with a multi machine setup.

As mentioned might be worth waiting on Skylake although I think the better chips may not come until early next year.

5960x here clocked to 4.5ghz.  Blitzs through most things really, love it for Arnold rendering and other apps like houdini, adobe etc (although I would prefer if everything used the gpu like Octane as I have 3x titan x also !)   I looked at making a mini render farm with older i7 980 6 core machines (or the xeon equiv in dual cpu setup), which are going quite cheap now but decided against all the extra ball ache that comes with a multi machine setup.

As mentioned might be worth waiting on Skylake although I think the better chips may not come until early next year.

Thanks Ten and StefanR for your comments. I am still on the edge for the 5960X. Why? Because it is a beast. Today, i was working in Photoshop, Illustrator, Cinema4D, With Safari and Firefox open working in my webshop, using all these tools at the same time. Today, it was a day that i really needed some extra horsepower under the hood. The new system will be operating for the next 3 or 4 years.. so if you think that way, that extra investment in the CPU will be reasonable if you look to the big picture. At the same time.. its a LOT of money :D

It is a lot of money indeed.  More importantly though, will it make the difference?  Hard to say as everyone's requirements, workflow and expectations are different.  However, going from an i5 dual core to a i7 octal core though, you will probably sh** bricks at the difference :lol: and it should keep you pretty happy for the next 3/4 years.

ten

Thanks Ten and StefanR for your comments. I am still on the edge for the 5960X. Why? Because it is a beast. Today, i was working in Photoshop, Illustrator, Cinema4D, With Safari and Firefox open working in my webshop, using all these tools at the same time. Today, it was a day that i really needed some extra horsepower under the hood. The new system will be operating for the next 3 or 4 years.. so if you think that way, that extra investment in the CPU will be reasonable if you look to the big picture. At the same time.. its a LOT of money :D

This actually sounds like you need a lot of RAM and a fast Harddisk. Those programs are open at the same time but do not do much when in the background but they need to hold their data in the RAM. If they don't the system gets slow. A different use case is when you render in cinema4d and have your render setting set to use 6 cores... then of course two more cores would keep your system running. Cinema is REALLY good at using ALL your resources if you let it have it :D But of course with a 6 core CPU you could set it to render with 4 or 5. Have fun deciding ^^

I am working with a 16-core (2x8) dual xeon workstation with 24GB of RAM. Before that it was a Quadcore with 8GB of RAM and 8 really is not enough. You should get 16 at least. The cores do not do much when working in PS or Illu or ID. But of course rendering is A LOT faster now ^^