Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hrvoje

Cafe back & new owner

I am wondering why no one posting complaints where we can see them on front page/topic?! :/

Cheers,

Igor

| MAXON Quality Assurance | 3D Artist | C4D Cafe Manager | Gamer in Heart/PS4 ID: SIgor420 |:compEnjoy:

I noticed some member file attachments are lost forever. :-S

Correct. Lost forever. My apologies. The new forum system has a different file storage structure and it's confusing where the attachments were actually stored. You couldn't actually open the folders to check with an ftp program as there were too many files in the folder (overloaded the program). I thought that I had copied everything but I was wrong. What made things worse is I shut things down on the old / my server as we were having trouble getting the domain name to point at the new server. This wiped out all of the files (unbeknown to me). That's actually an improvement on where we were where apart from the database. Downloads and gallery images were totally screwed and all the paths were stuffed up. I managed to fix those up but some gallery images were lost.

i remember bringing this up before. but maybe thats a good reason to use an external system for attachments?

imgur.com is great for images and isn't going anywhere. copy.com is great for sharing files. 

This new forum version supports offsite storage of files e.g. Amazon S3. That will be up to Hrvoje whether he wants to pay for an external service. Personally I don't think there's any need for it unless he's planning on changing hosts regularly.

i dont mean pay extra, i just mean that members would link to their files externally. that way they are just http links and dont expire or take up your allowance, so old posts still have all the relevant attachments in the future. 

i dont mean pay extra, i just mean that members would link to their files externally. that way they are just http links and dont expire or take up your allowance, so old posts still have all the relevant attachments in the future. 

There's  nothing  preventing  members  doing that  now.

Well I've been away for quite a while and I'm surprised about the changes (not in an unpleasent way). Nigel did a great job and I loved his bodypaint tutorials. They really helped me. Hrvoje is nevertheless an excellent successor. I have almost all of his Vertex-Pusher tutorials. They really provide a deep inside into C4D.

So I try to be more active here in future, as long as real life permits it. :)

Congratulations to all.