Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

King of Snake

Matilda II infantry tank modeling

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the links. I'd love to visit the Bovington Tank Museum sometime. I've seen a couple of video's of Matilda II's in working order in Australia, like this one

Nice flick - didn't they make a lot of noise! The Tilly was one of the only tanks in WWII to have served the duration of it. The Aussies used them effectively in the jungle once they became obsolete in Europe.

• Topic Author
  • Another small update, working on the wheel braces... dunno if I'm gonna do all the suspension as you won't see it anyway :)

wheels.JPG

29 minutes ago, King of Snake said:

Another small update, working on the wheel braces... dunno if I'm gonna do all the suspension as you won't see it anyway :)

wheels.JPG

do it bro its good practice :D

• Topic Author
  • Ok so I'm currently going through Toby Pitman's Making it Look Great 11 modelling tutorial series and I thought I'd give another attempt at continuing this model. The complexity of the turrent basically made me give up as I'm just not experienced with modelling enough. Still I seem to have some success now with the top part. Still need to tackle the task of making this shape "merge" with the cone-like lower half of the turret. This is definitely a daunting model to tackle. Maybe I should have started with a boxier tank like the Panzer ;)

turret-new1.JPG

turret-new2.JPG

as long as you match the amount of segments to the lower half, should be easy enough to bridge/stitch and sow together, although i would cut the bottom/move points around of the top section into roughly the shape the bottom section takes when it attaches to the top, then all you would need to do is select the dome part one its all connected and do a little inner extrude to give yourself a supporting edge to make that joining seam sharp

• Topic Author
  • Thanks man. Yeah perhaps I have been overthinking it. Right now I'm trying extruding edges downward from the top section and just lining the points up until they intersect with my "dummy cone". This seems to be working as well. I think it does not matter hugely if the cone shape is not 100% perfect as I don't think it is on the actual vehicle (many imperfections in a real world object like this).

• Topic Author
  • So I ended up with this, which seems like it could work, although obviously I still have a bunch of n-gons and triangles and edges that I don't know what to do with yet. Really not sure what my edgeflow could/should look like here.

matilda turret blocking 04.c4d

turret-new3.JPG

8 minutes ago, King of Snake said:

So I ended up with this, which seems like it could work, although obviously I still have a bunch of n-gons and triangles and edges that I don't know what to do with yet. Really not sure what my edgeflow could/should look like here.

matilda turret blocking 04.c4d

turret-new3.JPG

let me take a look at this for you :D 

• Topic Author
  • I would be very grateful, this bloody thing is making me want to give up again ;)
    Here's some reference pics of what it should look like (this is obviously from a model kit).

MatildaCrane027.jpg

MatildaCrane044.JPG

2 minutes ago, King of Snake said:

I would be very grateful, this bloody thing is making me want to give up again ;)
    Here's some reference pics of what it should look like (this is obviously from a model kit).

MatildaCrane027.jpg

MatildaCrane044.JPG

dont worry i'll get you going in the right direction :D 

here's an extremely rough/quick go using your existing model, only worked on that one side, id do it something like that although i would have built it differently from the start 

matilda turret blocking 04_vector.c4d