Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

King of Snake

Matilda II infantry tank modeling

11 hours ago, King of Snake said:

Thanks Vector, I appreciate it. It looks good, and I'll have a try at continuing in this way on the other sides when I get back from work today. Of course I would be interested to know what you approach might have been if you had started the model differently. I tried a bunch a different approaches but this one is the most succesful so far. :)
Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.

Ah well it depends how i'm feeling really, but usually i try and tackle the most difficult areas first, so i probably would start with that side section, seeing as it wouldn't really matter how many segments the disk section/access hatch needs as that would be easy to make that fit to whatever segment count needed to attach it to the rest of the body, once that's down should be easy to model the rest of it from there, parts like that where you've got a transition are always gonna be a bit tricky. 

• Topic Author
  • Vector, your comment got me thinking, and I went back to an older file with different attempts at this turret to see if I could use my new knowledge and ideas on different approach. So here's another version, I'm not 100% certain how I started this mesh, but it looked promising in light of your comment. At least it started with more segments and going up from the cone shape rather than building down from the top part. It does make sense as the top part is mostly flat surfaces so much easier to just figure out the geometry. This version seems to work very well and holds up great under subdivision. I'm sure there are still things that could be improved but right now I'm very happy with the result and confident I can continue working on more of the turret details. I'm also gonna take Gary's advice and at least treat the front part and gunshield as a seperate object, since as far as I can tell this is also the case on the actual vehicle.

turret-new4.JPG

turret-new4a.JPG

turret-new4b.JPG

ah Yea, not looking too bad 

This is fantastic! Giving me more fodder for my Walker. I do have a couple of questions for the professionals

@VECTOR - what do you do with the topography on a cylinder when the top goes to triangles? Do you leave it? King of Snake's suspension has two cylinders that have all those triangles going to center. Is this one of those "unique" scenarios where you leave the triangles?

@GaryAbrehart - you talk about building similar to real world components. What do you do the rivets? Are all those modeled or done in texture? Or any of those smaller assemblies? Is it one of those things that if you do not need a zoomed in render-you texture it out? 

Just curious.

39 minutes ago, Monstrphil said:

This is fantastic! Giving me more fodder for my Walker. I do have a couple of questions for the professionals

@VECTOR - what do you do with the topography on a cylinder when the top goes to triangles? Do you leave it? King of Snake's suspension has two cylinders that have all those triangles going to center. Is this one of those "unique" scenarios where you leave the triangles?

@GaryAbrehart - you talk about building similar to real world components. What do you do the rivets? Are all those modeled or done in texture? Or any of those smaller assemblies? Is it one of those things that if you do not need a zoomed in render-you texture it out? 

Just curious.

Nope, i always make those quads, usually by removing the very inner centre edges and making them quads, this is far easier with lower segment disks something like this https://gyazo.com/3ce8eb14ba994c7f8345a0233f17a14d

Also, although it's not addressed to me, things like rivets, screws etc, at least for me depend on how detailed the model needs to be, and how close it will be to the camera, if it's at a distance and it's not centred on a specific area you could do it via a texture/bump but i usually model stuff like this, just make them ultra low poly, the advantage of sds modelling, i did a landrover for an American Express job a while back and that needed quite a few small details similar to that. 

5983a610b7936_closeuprear.thumb.png.f73cf96dc3afff91b1478f17b9e4a240.png

3b.thumb.png.9f253d619e3e4ab15027fd96826ca2ea.png

1b.thumb.png.c1e1b523c8103c58b7b3830a1000aa7c.png

• Topic Author
  • 9 hours ago, Monstrphil said:

Well spotted :) I was planning on making those quads but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. There is a plugin called "quadcaps" that does this automatically for you, and Holger's HB Modelling bundle also has a script for this in the latest update. But with low poly cylinders it's not hard to do by hand.
    See this example from Pixar's modelling tips page:
    mod_notes.1.png

• Topic Author
  • A bit more work on the turret.
    turret5.thumb.JPG.31db9775ee75887087cbd01074003bf6.JPG

Looks nice.

Would you mind to show us  how did you solve the back corner where two round shapes meet together?  

btw - I used to use quad caps also, great plug in.

turret5.JPG

• Topic Author
  • Hi Dan, 
    Sorry for the late reply on this. I've been spending many hours rebuilding this thing (several times ;)), because when studying reference I saw that the front of the turret should be different. It's a rather difficult shape but I think I've got something that looks close enough now. The edgeflow is a bit of a mess in places but it does look allright in renders.

As you can see with the top I used some diamond-shaped quads where the two round shapes meet, although since it's all a flat surface at the top, I think using triangles wouldn't really have been any problem. I tried to solve most of it to quads...just because. In the end this is not going to be going into a production pipeline and is just for my own practice so it's whatever looks ok :)

turret6.JPG

turret6t.JPG

Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 4.09.12 PM.png

Actually when I mentioned making a model out of parts like a real one would be I actually went out and bought a Tamiya 1/35th scale Panzer IVD to yse as reference since I found working from just photos lacking. This really helped. BTW Tamiya do a nice 1/35 and a 1/48 scale version of the yilly which are very nice reference. I should know I have made the 1/48th scale version :-)