Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

King of Snake

Matilda II infantry tank modeling

• Topic Author
  • A bit more work on the turret.
    turret5.thumb.JPG.31db9775ee75887087cbd01074003bf6.JPG

Looks nice.

Would you mind to show us  how did you solve the back corner where two round shapes meet together?  

btw - I used to use quad caps also, great plug in.

turret5.JPG

• Topic Author
  • Hi Dan, 
    Sorry for the late reply on this. I've been spending many hours rebuilding this thing (several times ;)), because when studying reference I saw that the front of the turret should be different. It's a rather difficult shape but I think I've got something that looks close enough now. The edgeflow is a bit of a mess in places but it does look allright in renders.

As you can see with the top I used some diamond-shaped quads where the two round shapes meet, although since it's all a flat surface at the top, I think using triangles wouldn't really have been any problem. I tried to solve most of it to quads...just because. In the end this is not going to be going into a production pipeline and is just for my own practice so it's whatever looks ok :)

turret6.JPG

turret6t.JPG

Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 4.09.12 PM.png

Actually when I mentioned making a model out of parts like a real one would be I actually went out and bought a Tamiya 1/35th scale Panzer IVD to yse as reference since I found working from just photos lacking. This really helped. BTW Tamiya do a nice 1/35 and a 1/48 scale version of the yilly which are very nice reference. I should know I have made the 1/48th scale version :-)

On 8/17/2017 at 1:45 PM, King of Snake said:

turret6t.JPG

Good job trying to keep you edge loops in tact for the sub div. And yes, since you are not deforming it in any way and it looks good under sub div then I would not worry too much about those stretch diamonds.  I also model for personal enjoyment and learn as I go, so that is why I wanted to know what you did there.