Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hrvoje

MAXON announces R17

As tech.director or developer, i like new sdk for CAPI and pyAPI. How SDK team worked hardly with development team. Sculpting, reflectance, take system stuff for py sdk! And many other tasty things for all sdks! Also sdk forum is perfect place today, even a few teamers are busy or on vacations

And finally, i touch fabric canvas by new python 2.7.9 in python bridge!(only simple tests)

Sculpting, spline additions are very nice.

As tech.director or developer, i like new sdk for CAPI and pyAPI. How SDK team worked hardly with development team. Sculpting, reflectance, take system stuff for py sdk!

Yeah, have to say I've been very impressed with the C and Python API reworks, they were done in a very TD/plugin-thoughtful manner, and in particular the way the takes/overrides system is exposed is very, very usable, IMO.  It is now possible to fix many of the existing workflow hiccups using fairly concise Python scripts, incl. in materials setup (which wasn't all that easy before).  Takes now enable experimentation without sacrificing organization, which was very needed in C4D.

It is reassuring to see that while R17 is still a bit lacking in feature breadth (IMO, esp. w.r.t. "Studio" features), the features delivered were implemented to substantial depth, and thoroughly integrated with other C4D features/systems.  R17 also feels more stable here than R16 was at same point (iow, after at-release patches applied).  I had quite a few stability issues with R16 and at-release patches applied -- R16 just didn't feel very "solid" to me until around 16.038.

John W. -- MacPro(12C/24T/10.10.5),32GB,ATI7970

Guys!  The new spline tools ALONE make this a great update.