Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hrvoje

MAXON announces R17

Multi-edit reflectance is not addressed in R17, but definitely on the radar.

Honestly one more year (or more) is quite long for a such feature. It could have been compensated a little the lack of nodal material system. Too bad.

Overall it's a bit 'Cinemeh 4d'.

...and that's what I'm calling c4d from now on.  Seriously, that's gold Brian, what a perfect way to sum up this upgrade.

OK, so the take system looks pretty cool and actually something people have been asking for.  Bravo MAXON on that one.

Animation improvements: late as hell, but welcome none-the-less.

Sculpting Improvements: moot without a Bodypaint update.  They can make sculpting in c4d better than zbrush and it won't mean sh** without halfway decent UV and painting tools.

Spline modeling enhancements: Maybe they're great, I don't know, my concern here is priorities.  I'll reserve final judgement until I see what they can actually do.

Motion Tracker Enhancements: Seriously MAXON?!?  You'e really doubling down on that!  The motion tracker gets an almost immediate update while greater than half the app is left to rot!  Maybe this heralds a new trend where MAXON isn't going to let features rot anymore... but seriously, not the place to start.  Your roof is still leaking badly, quit focusing on furnishing the place...

Nigel has given me hope with his analysis though.  Maybe this release is weak because they've devoted so much to core enhancements and the like.  Most of the backlash against MAXON occurred far too late to have any impact on R17, it's been feature locked for several months at this point.  And MAXON, in the last couple of months, has made some positive improvements.  I sense a change in the air, I think they're listening now, but we weren't going to see the fruits of our belligerent labor in R17.  We need to keep on them.  We need to keep pushing before they feature lock R18!

-kvb

You killed me :lol: 

And can´t be addressed in this R17 later on because it will be considered as a new feature so the shareholders are going to get angry, so it will be "fixed" in one year?

Cheers,

Juan

Not necessarily.  I think there's far more evidence suggesting it's a bug... we can only hope that MAXON feels the same way... and that's something we might be able to influence.  We should all submit bug reports so the numbers better support that and there's no doubt.

We need to keep on them.  We need to keep pushing before they feature lock R18!

-kvb

The best way to keep on to them is to NOT blindly upgrade, you're just condoning their upgrade policy.

It has been clear for a few upgrades that MAXON are delivering the absolute minimum they can get away with because they know people will be scared into renewing their MSA. Don't. If they want your continued support they better start delivering...

I'm putting this year's MSA towards other areas of my business that will show a better ROI.

Honestly...no matter how good it is, listing a new color picker as a key feature of the upgrade is a desperate attempt at sandbagging the feature list....  If this was a half-way decent release, finding out about the color picker should have been a surprise to most of us rather than part of the headlines.

The best part of the MSA is going to be the Cineversity subscription once again for the average user interested in modeling and texturing.

Now, can someone tell me just how well the "new" boolean tools work?  That may hold out some hope for the modelers.....

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

I'd like to see a group movement demanding a reasonable upgrade price that covers two or three releases. It would be a reasonable response to the thinness of the upgrades they're offering.

Honestly...no matter how good it is, listing a new color picker as a key feature of the upgrade is a desperate attempt at sandbagging the feature list....  If this was a half-way decent release, finding out about the color picker should have been a surprise to most of us rather than part of the headlines.

The best part of the MSA is going to be the Cineversity subscription once again for the average user interested in modeling and texturing.

Now, can someone tell me just how well the "new" boolean tools work?  That may hold out some hope for the modelers.....

Dave

But isn't a subscription to Cineversity $95? If so, it's a lot less than $650.

Cheers,

Brian

Summed it up nicely there Brian. The worrying thing is that nobody around MAXON realised this may turn out to be a consensus view.

WOW!!!  This is more of a 16.5 update than a 17.  They didn't do any major upgrades.  This is a piddly update. the only model enhancement is the spline tool really.  Im not sure if ill be updating this round doesn't seem to be worth it to me

Norm_BIGBOT4D www.bigbot4d.com

Guest darby

Hey, the metaballs got some love!  I'mma be a metaballer again!

Just noticed over on CGtalk that Aixsponza used Arnold and Octane to render the awesome "Seed" launch movie.

I think it's a bit cheeky advertising a new software release with a promo film that was rendered with 3rd party plugins. If you were a new user looking at C4D you could be confused into thinking you'd get those results out of the box.