Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hrvoje

MAXON announces R17

Funny, MAXON doesn´t give anymore X.5 upgrades or new features into a current version because the shareholders thingy... but they don´t understand the if WE the users don´t buy/upgrade anymore the product the shareholders can put their money (you know where), really what a shareholder will do if nobody buys the product that he is investing? for me, this is just really blah statement for not giving new features into a current version, like 3DKiwi said, this is more a X.5 release than a full version one.

So, please listen the users and not the shareholders, because without us they do nothing.

Cheers,

Juan

There's definitely some good bits there, 1 or 2 of which I am likely to use (spline and sculpting tools) but is it £500's worth ? I agree with Nigel, it's a slightly underwhelming half-release for me. 

But, I notice Cineversity is now included in the UK MSA which is another small incentive, but whether this and the new bits will retain the hobbyists like me - I'm not so sure on that one.

When the poly pen and reflectance videos arrived last year my hand was automatically drifting to my wallet. I have noticed that it hasn't done that this year, so I will giving some serious thought to whether I'm in this time round...

Still very happy with R16 on the whole.

CBR

Multi-edit reflectance is not addressed in R17, but definitely on the radar.

What users want:
GPU Render
Node-base Material
Body Paint Improvments (why no symetry painting yet?)
Better Particle system (x-particles native?)

What MAXON gave us:
Anything else...

Could we just have a plugin/ voluntary patch, that pulls out the legacy reflection into the main list? that's all i want. or a plugin that brings back the old material as it was without reflectance? how you have danel and banzi shaders and stuff? Its really sad. 

It looks like a handy release, but i guess its just gonna be on the shelf like r16.. 

its just painful for all this stuff to be going to waste... I mean when i have a choice i dont really use the inbuilt render engine anyway, but for client jobs i do use it, and i simply don't have time to edit so many materials by hand.. 

And can´t be addressed in this R17 later on because it will be considered as a new feature so the shareholders are going to get angry, so it will be "fixed" in one year?

Cheers,

Juan

Honestly one more year (or more) is quite long for a such feature. It could have been compensated a little the lack of nodal material system. Too bad.

Overall it's a bit 'Cinemeh 4d'.

...and that's what I'm calling c4d from now on.  Seriously, that's gold Brian, what a perfect way to sum up this upgrade.

OK, so the take system looks pretty cool and actually something people have been asking for.  Bravo MAXON on that one.

Animation improvements: late as hell, but welcome none-the-less.

Sculpting Improvements: moot without a Bodypaint update.  They can make sculpting in c4d better than zbrush and it won't mean sh** without halfway decent UV and painting tools.

Spline modeling enhancements: Maybe they're great, I don't know, my concern here is priorities.  I'll reserve final judgement until I see what they can actually do.

Motion Tracker Enhancements: Seriously MAXON?!?  You'e really doubling down on that!  The motion tracker gets an almost immediate update while greater than half the app is left to rot!  Maybe this heralds a new trend where MAXON isn't going to let features rot anymore... but seriously, not the place to start.  Your roof is still leaking badly, quit focusing on furnishing the place...

Nigel has given me hope with his analysis though.  Maybe this release is weak because they've devoted so much to core enhancements and the like.  Most of the backlash against MAXON occurred far too late to have any impact on R17, it's been feature locked for several months at this point.  And MAXON, in the last couple of months, has made some positive improvements.  I sense a change in the air, I think they're listening now, but we weren't going to see the fruits of our belligerent labor in R17.  We need to keep on them.  We need to keep pushing before they feature lock R18!

-kvb

Overall it's a bit 'Cinemeh 4d'.

You killed me :lol: 

And can´t be addressed in this R17 later on because it will be considered as a new feature so the shareholders are going to get angry, so it will be "fixed" in one year?

Cheers,

Juan

Not necessarily.  I think there's far more evidence suggesting it's a bug... we can only hope that MAXON feels the same way... and that's something we might be able to influence.  We should all submit bug reports so the numbers better support that and there's no doubt.