Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hrvoje

MAXON announces R17

We need to keep on them.  We need to keep pushing before they feature lock R18!

-kvb

The best way to keep on to them is to NOT blindly upgrade, you're just condoning their upgrade policy.

It has been clear for a few upgrades that MAXON are delivering the absolute minimum they can get away with because they know people will be scared into renewing their MSA. Don't. If they want your continued support they better start delivering...

I'm putting this year's MSA towards other areas of my business that will show a better ROI.

Honestly...no matter how good it is, listing a new color picker as a key feature of the upgrade is a desperate attempt at sandbagging the feature list....  If this was a half-way decent release, finding out about the color picker should have been a surprise to most of us rather than part of the headlines.

The best part of the MSA is going to be the Cineversity subscription once again for the average user interested in modeling and texturing.

Now, can someone tell me just how well the "new" boolean tools work?  That may hold out some hope for the modelers.....

Dave

While I've only had a quick scan and certainly need to dig in to see what's really of worth (A new colour picker... seriously? Sheesh!) my initial impression is that I won't be upgrading.

I'd like to see a group movement demanding a reasonable upgrade price that covers two or three releases. It would be a reasonable response to the thinness of the upgrades they're offering.

Honestly...no matter how good it is, listing a new color picker as a key feature of the upgrade is a desperate attempt at sandbagging the feature list....  If this was a half-way decent release, finding out about the color picker should have been a surprise to most of us rather than part of the headlines.

The best part of the MSA is going to be the Cineversity subscription once again for the average user interested in modeling and texturing.

Now, can someone tell me just how well the "new" boolean tools work?  That may hold out some hope for the modelers.....

Dave

But isn't a subscription to Cineversity $95? If so, it's a lot less than $650.

Overall it's a bit 'Cinemeh 4d'.

Cheers,

Brian

Summed it up nicely there Brian. The worrying thing is that nobody around MAXON realised this may turn out to be a consensus view.

WOW!!!  This is more of a 16.5 update than a 17.  They didn't do any major upgrades.  This is a piddly update. the only model enhancement is the spline tool really.  Im not sure if ill be updating this round doesn't seem to be worth it to me

Guest darby

Hey, the metaballs got some love!  I'mma be a metaballer again!

Just noticed over on CGtalk that Aixsponza used Arnold and Octane to render the awesome "Seed" launch movie.

I think it's a bit cheeky advertising a new software release with a promo film that was rendered with 3rd party plugins. If you were a new user looking at C4D you could be confused into thinking you'd get those results out of the box. 

wow...disappointment... although did anyone expect otherwise after kiwi switching to modo and selling the cafe?  ill wait to see some more preview vids and beta test opinions but im seriously considering do the upgrade and try to palm it off to someone for as much as i can ...

ten

From my side, I still haven't decided yet to renew or not my MSA.

Why? Well, based in Canada we are screwed by the exchange rate. Indeed, we are linked to the US price which is 650$ fixed price. So last year, we had to pay around 730 $CAD and this year it's more than 850 $CAD...

The difference, I have to pay could have been used to had the excellent modelling scripts from Holger, which in my opinion should be in native in R17 or so (included the symmetry tool).

So to resume, we have to pay more for nothing extraordinary more, even if I think the take system is a killer stuff...

Cheers

Regis