Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hrvoje

MAXON announces R17

I had hopped onto the C4D scene around r15, mostly because I needed to add 3D to my toolset and Cinema fit the bill as good for mograph. I am an MSA subscriber, and had already ponied up the cash for this year. I feel let down. I probably will not keep the MSA going next year, and use the money to buy Octane and a subscription to Cineversity instead.

I do really like the new spline tools! I use illustrator everyday for work (all 2D stuff), and these tools will pretty much keep me in C4D for my spline creation workflow now. 

The animation enhancements look great too.

I mean updated Mograph tools and view-port playback would be nice but as a mograph artist C4D is still the best. 

Guest billyhanshaw

It seems like software vendors are starting to provide updates to simply justify their subscription models (MSA is one of these if you think about it).  The last update to AE (2015) is/was absolutely shocking and gave most users functions they didn't need, while other areas became just about useless.  If the development time was spent on one fantastic new feature and the rest on making the software even more robust, then I think everyone would be happy, wouldn't they?

Guest toulouse

For the first time in a lot of years, I decided not to renew my C4D Maintenance contract. The expiration always comes up just before a new release and I decided not to roll the dice this time. When I got the announcement this morning....I was mostly scratching my head about what these features even do(for me, a hobbyist). In R16, about the only major new feature that I liked was the Motion Tracker, which I find is good enough for my needs. I didn't really like the new material setup. I find the C4D is mostly useful to me through the plug-ins (X-Particles, TFD). I wonder....will this be the end of Cafe C4D? Without C4DKiwi...well, it won't be the same.

You know, to be honest, I'm not even sure I know what the MSA gets me. Lol!

It seems like software vendors are starting to provide updates to simply justify their subscription models (MSA is one of these if you think about it).  The last update to AE (2015) is/was absolutely shocking and gave most users functions they didn't need, while other areas became just about useless.  If the development time was spent on one fantastic new feature and the rest on making the software even more robust, then I think everyone would be happy, wouldn't they?

Adobe AE CC 2015 is a long awaited update to the source code of AE. The base software is over 15 years old. 2015 may be buggy as hell but it's a major step in the right direction fot the long term. 

All /almost/ top new features are included in all cinema versions.What special we have in Studio for 3 times higher MSA price as in Prime

...formula shader, motion tracker improvements and Houdini engine support worth this price?

Lubo

Now....if MAXON actually worked out a deal for Studio users to get a 50% discount on Houdini Engine (a $500 value)...then I would say that the MSA was beginning to look like a value again.  When you subtract the Cineversity subscription, you are probably looking at around $300 to MAXON for the new R17 features ($250 to Side Effects, $100 to Cineversity).  That feels about right.  Essentially, this is less than half an upgrade.

I will hold out some hope for some discounts to Houdini engine as that is not unheard of in the software world.  

Dave

P.S.  As an example, some years ago Newtek was offering a free version of Vue xStream with each new license.  So I purchased it, sold off Lightwave and essentially picked up Vue xStream for cheap money.

I have absolutely no interest in Cineversity but I still have to pay for it. I want my money back. I've never even looked at it.

Setting price aside would those of you who are primarily modelers (as opposed to mograph artists) consider the HB modeling bundle or the R17 'improvements' to be more useful?

If your primarily a modeler why are you using C4D? 

There are so many better options out there. 

As much as I like Cinema4D, R16 and R17 have been disappointing, petty, pitiful, somber and useless..... color picker ?   why not some more cogwheels?

Cinemeh 4D

No wonder why Kiwi jumped ship :/

• Topic Author
  • A couple of features I'm very glad to see like the Euler Filter and fixed Auto Tangents but so much more they could have done while working on the animation tools IMO.

Overall it's a bit 'Cinemeh 4d'.

Cheers,

Brian

ha :)

Isn't that a tad harsh? Finally development goes up your alley. Autotangents are awesome and workflow improvements are really nice. There are some hidden gems now such as constrain line for keeping key on axis and multiple bugfixes. Also, performance is much better in scenes with a lot of keys. Too bad that many of this things are not listed anywhere.

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

Guest billyhanshaw

Adobe AE CC 2015 is a long awaited update to the source code of AE. The base software is over 15 years old. 2015 may be buggy as hell but it's a major step in the right direction fot the long term. 

Yep.  I hear that BUT..  the the default installation wiped cc2014 and left a lot of users scratching their heads.  Release it as a preview of things to come not a full blown release - sorry off-topic I know.