Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hrvoje

MAXON announces R17

If your primarily a modeler why are you using C4D? 

There are so many better options out there. 

As much as I like Cinema4D, R16 and R17 have been disappointing, petty, pitiful, somber and useless..... color picker ?   why not some more cogwheels?

Cinemeh 4D

No wonder why Kiwi jumped ship :/

• Topic Author
  • A couple of features I'm very glad to see like the Euler Filter and fixed Auto Tangents but so much more they could have done while working on the animation tools IMO.

Overall it's a bit 'Cinemeh 4d'.

Cheers,

Brian

ha :)

Isn't that a tad harsh? Finally development goes up your alley. Autotangents are awesome and workflow improvements are really nice. There are some hidden gems now such as constrain line for keeping key on axis and multiple bugfixes. Also, performance is much better in scenes with a lot of keys. Too bad that many of this things are not listed anywhere.

Guest billyhanshaw

Adobe AE CC 2015 is a long awaited update to the source code of AE. The base software is over 15 years old. 2015 may be buggy as hell but it's a major step in the right direction fot the long term. 

Yep.  I hear that BUT..  the the default installation wiped cc2014 and left a lot of users scratching their heads.  Release it as a preview of things to come not a full blown release - sorry off-topic I know.

ha :)

Isn't that a tad harsh? Finally development goes up your alley. Autotangents are awesome and workflow improvements are really nice. There are some hidden gems now such as constrain line for keeping key on axis and multiple bugfixes. Also, performance is much better in scenes with a lot of keys. Too bad that many of this things are not listed anywhere.

Sorry I don't think it's harsh. Yes finally I got some updates that will make a difference for my work, but it's several years since there were any improvements to the timeline (R10?) and now in R17 we got two main features, one of which there was already a script for, and both of which are old news in other animation programs. The Euler Filter video on the MAXON site almost made it seem like it was some amazing new technology that's just been developed by MAXON, but no,  it's a fundamental feature that should have been included years ago.

And looking at the timeline there are so many areas where it could still be improved, but as far as I know this might be it now for another 5 years..

So yes, I'm happy the new features are there and for sure they will make my job easier but I'd hoped to see so much more to be honest. I spoke directly with the developer who worked on the new animation tools earlier this year (MAXON contacted me and asked me to) and I sent a lot of suggestions that I hoped would make it in, and along with a couple of other animators we had dozens of emails back and forth about what we'd like to see. So for sure I was personally invested in seeing more progress in this area. I'm not blaming the developer though, he told us to manage our expectations as there was only so much he could do for one release. I just wish MAXON had put more resources into animation improvements and hired several people to work on them and gave us some really significant improvements instead of 'we finally fixed/added a couple of things that were long overdue'.

Cheers,

Brian

As a hobby user, the MSA was always a bit of an indulgence, so these modest changes are not hitting the mark for me.

I'm certainly not excited by this release, particularly since I have the Visualise version which misses out on some of the headline changes entirely. The spline features look interesting, but I'm struggling to justify the cost to myself for just that.

Highlighting the colour picker as a headline is a bit of a stretch !

I appreciate the cost calculations in the thread, I wondered how skipping a version or two might turn out. I'm tempted to bail out of the MSA for now...

Now....if MAXON actually worked out a deal for Studio users to get a 50% discount on Houdini Engine (a $500 value)...

Do you remember times when MAXON announced Lite version for free included in AE. These times we also ask/wait for some discount also for Cinema4D users to buy AE cheap...

Did you got it cheaper? Also on other side, if you allready own Houdini Engine?(but this is another story)

Hard to say what they mean "Houdini Engine Support"...

Lubo

• Topic Author
  • @Brian

The reason I thought it was a bit harsh is because you were directly involved and asked for feedback and input from developers themselves. I was not sure if I could mention that due to my NDA but glad you did. There was only so much that could have been done in single cycle regarding those requests...

But that's why I'm disappointed I guess - if I hadn't known the animation tools were being worked on I guess it would be a nice surprise to see the Euler Filter/Auto Tangents today but knowing there was work being done in that area made me optimistic that we would see more progress in that area for R17. We asked for a lot more in the hope we would get maybe 30-50% of what we asked for. But R17 seems to me more like 10-20% of those requests if even that. Maybe there's more in there but I'm sure if they had fixed/changed some of the major features we talked about we would have heard about them today.

Anyway, I want to get off this negative vibe, I'm happy that we do have the Euler Filter/Auto Tangents and I look forward to having R17 being a little easier to animate in. I just hope MAXON will keep that developer on the staff and will have more animation improvements in R18 rather than in several versions time.

Cheers,

Brian

Yep.  I hear that BUT..  the the default installation wiped cc2014 and left a lot of users scratching their heads.  Release it as a preview of things to come not a full blown release - sorry off-topic I know.

Because last release (2014) people were complaining that they had two installs of Creative Cloud Apps.

You just can't win when your in software development.