Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fastbee

Leaving or staying with C4D for what and why?

• Topic Author
  • As some know 3DKiwi left C4D and after this horrible R17 release I'm thinking of doing the same thing.  If you, like me, are thinking of switching to something else please let me know what you gain by switching.  If your thinking of staying please also let me know what is wrong with the other options that is making you stick with C4D.

For me Maya is the industry standard in the US.  This means more jobs if you know Maya.  Maya also has built a ton of features that C4D does not have.  Features like hair physics working with cloth and regular physics.  Cloth physics that work way better.  Character animation tools far beyond what C4D has in both what can be done and the speed at which they work.  Vray is updated quickly for Maya as now they have Vray 3.1 for Maya.  I would prefer Thea Render working with Maya, but I guess I could export Maya to 3DMax or C4D to render with Thea Render.  Maya also works better with video game engines.  Animations and models from c4d can have problems as files need to be in fbx to import right and the fbx exporter sucked.  Even with plugins in C4D it took me a while to get something simple to export right along with a email to a plugin developer saying their plugin was not working.  Maybe it's fixed with the update to fbx export in R17, but who knows.  Maya also has a way better looking viewport with real time SSS and other things, the viewport can be rendered out if it's good enough, nodal material system, better UV tools, Ptex support, Pixar open subdiv.  The list is just too long for me to keep ignoring it.

Sure the learning curve and price is going to suck, but I can't keep waiting for C4D to fix things.  I'll be keeping C4D around until I feel better with Maya, but it's really not looking good.  The next release of C4D is going to have to be something amazing for me to keep using it or maybe I'll just find thing I really hate about Maya as I learn it.

Hi ... I only had a student version, but anyway ... I've decided to jump too.

For now ... Maya and possibly Modo, both student edition. Reason is I want to focus on modeling, rigging and animation. Maya would satisfy me completely on those fields but since I don't like/trust Autodesk, I'm keeping Modo as well since the modeling is great, the rigging as well and I'm hoping for more animation upgrades in later versions.

In any case, I'll continue to follow MAXON presentations at Siggraph, Nab, Ibc, etc, since there's a lot of cool stuff for ideas and inspiration.

Hi ... I only had a student version, but anyway ... I've decided to jump too.

For now ... Maya and possibly Modo, both student edition. Reason is I want to focus on modeling, rigging and animation. Maya would satisfy me completely on those fields but since I don't like/trust Autodesk, I'm keeping Modo as well since the modeling is great, the rigging as well and I'm hoping for more animation upgrades in later versions.

In any case, I'll continue to follow MAXON presentations at Siggraph, Nab, Ibc, etc, since there's a lot of cool stuff for ideas and inspiration.

You were a fierce C4D defender, what happened!? :-) 

I'm not sure if I'll switch to another app but I'm off the upgrade path now. I may keep R16 and keep playing with that but I'm fairly disgusted at the lack of care given to to the stuff that's been laid by the wayside. That's been going on for a long time now and this release is that straw that broke the camels back. I've been thinking of jacking it in for the last few releases but R17 has just drained any enthusiasm or hope for C4D (for me). As a Studio owner I just feel that MAXON are dipping my pocket and as the victim of a pickpocket you don't get your money back anytime. They really need to slash the price if they are going to offer up the measly morsels they've been handing out.

I'll keep my v 15 for mograph and the fact that I have the Octane plugin but I have Maya 15 to edit animation with a reasonable viewport response (C4D will drive an animator mad). CD FBX tool allows exporting the edited animation back for rendering. Clunky but cost efficient.

For the moment I keep current licenses of both Maya and Cinema. A lot of my jobs for C4D clients are rigging only so I do that and then they animate them. For animation jobs I find I prefer to animate in Maya and in many cases I do that and then export the results for my C4D clients to render in Cinema via FBX and Alembic. On other jobs where I work for studios that have already rigged the characters in Cinema it makes sense that I animate in that too, so I do. Things seem to take a little longer and I have some frustrations with how slow C4D is with characters but I am being paid to do the job so I get it done.

Recently some of my clients have switched to Maya so I've switched with them, others are still using C4D and I'll continue to support those for as long as the work is there.

I should clarify that my work is almost exclusively character animation and rigging, I do almost no modeling and rendering etc. So that's where my biases lie.

Cheers,

Brian

I didn't upgrade from version 11 until version 16 which I did for a job and I was surprised at lack of improvements between 11 and 16 with some core elements so yup can imagine I'm not impressed with this next release. I am planning to stay with 16 for work, for now... but seriously thinking of MAYA, it's new release looks pretty good and I do character animation which is difficult in the c4d viewport. I have been looking into Blender but not getting very far, it might be something for personal projects as it is affordable if nothing else. If C4D was reasonably priced for what it is (It used to be) I would stay for the ease of use and my comfort with it. 

I'll upgrade to R17 because I'm still making money with C4D. I guess that when we're professionals, the right moment to switch applications is when you stop making money out of the current one. 
    I like everything MAXON is updating on this R17 version, although it still feels more like a R16.5 to me. We'll see after I start working with it. 

I'll upgrade to R17 because I'm still making money with C4D. I guess that when we're professionals, the right moment to switch applications is when you stop making money out of the current one. 
    I like everything MAXON is updating on this R17 version, although it still feels more like a R16.5 to me. We'll see after I start working with it. 

I'm with pBarrelas and Horganovski. Besides my own work I also have to be compatible with area studios I work with and they are excited about the new features in R17. (If you have ever had a producer looking over your shoulder telling you to make last minute changes you will realize how exciting the new"Takes" system looks.) The $60/month I budget for the MSA is a no-brainer for me, at this time, and I am looking forward to using some of the new features in R17.

I was tinkering with the idea of jumping ship in March a bit before Nigel said he was leaving C4D, I thought I would give MAXON one more chance, now I wish I hadn't.  I will probably jump ship after I get my copy of R17. I may move to Modo or give Blender a shot, I will play with both demos.  

I can't say at this point if I'm going to move on or not but this release has motivated me to take a proper look at MAYA, so I'll be doing that once I've got a job I'm working on out of the way. I'm also going to dig into MODO to see if that might be a realistic alternative. So, although I've no grand plan to move on, the idea has certainly popped up on my radar and that's something that's not happened before. I've also got an app/game idea I want to think about so I might actually jack the 3D in altogether and concentrate on that. Anybody know of good resources for someone who has no idea how you make apps/games?  :)

I am skipping a version and I got a copy of Unfold 3D for my Udim needs. Next up will be Arnold.

If you get a render engine and other apps which use plugins then you are not so much at the mercy of MAXON. Plus if you get Modo, well you can skip a year or even two if you like and the upgrade is the same and your render engine etc can be used with any 3d app.

Zbrush is going ahead at warp five as well.

I am done waiting on MAXON to update stuff that was asked for years ago, which apparently was not asked for at all, according to them.

As soon as modules went away and BP was integrated updates stopped. I think that should tell us something.

Of course if your clients upgrade then you have to as well, but it doesn't hurt, when you can afford to that is, to insulate yourself from C4d as much as possible.

I have lost count of the amount of times I stood up for C4d over the years ( started at R6 ), or the amount of licenses I helped sell upon recommending it. Makes me sad, but I can't remember recommending it to anyone in the last year or so.