Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fastbee

Leaving or staying with C4D for what and why?

Maybe not all new features from R15, 16, 17 are useless even if they're unused for now...

For example -> maybe they started the sculpting tools so that they could incorporate Bodypaint at some point? "Just" add painting and UVs to the sculpting part and rename it and bodypaint is redone without touching the original codebase of BP. Other programs like zBrush and Moodbox started as sculpting tools and then grew bigger with painting and UVs. Maybe that's what they planned from the start, so while we are whining about not getting a bodypaint update it might already be happening. Of course this is no help at this point because UVs are still old, but maybe there's hope ;)

Of course I'm not satisfied with R17s new features but just wanted to add that some of the things that are already there might turn into something good not too far away from now. I hope.

I'll stay, the take system is going to save so much time and filespace on my SSD it's not even funny ^^ Here's a quote from Tolkien/Gandalf: "I will not say, do not weep, for not all tears are an evil."  :D :D :D

Maybe not all new features from R15, 16, 17 are useless even if they're unused for now...

For example -> maybe they started the sculpting tools so that they could incorporate Bodypaint at some point? "Just" add painting and UVs to the sculpting part and rename it and bodypaint is redone without touching the original codebase of BP. Other programs like zBrush and Moodbox started as sculpting tools and then grew bigger with painting and UVs. Maybe that's what they planned from the start, so while we are whining about not getting a bodypaint update it might already be happening. Of course this is no help at this point because UVs are still old, but maybe there's hope ;)

Of course I'm not satisfied with R17s new features but just wanted to add that some of the things that are already there might turn into something good not too far away from now. I hope.

All quite possible, and that's why they need to communicate with their users.

The Cafe is overflowing with threads that list people's wish lists for upcoming releases and these threads have been popping up for as long as I can remember. I don't remember render layers being a recurring theme.

Requested and request supported by quite a few Beta testers. No doubt studios as well. Many of the Beta testers work for one person or small studios. I have no problem with R17 including the new Takes system.

When I decided to jump ship I knew in advance that the R17 announced was going to be a very rocky one with many people unimpressed with Maxon. Many of Maxon's problems apart from under delivering stem from their code of silence in social media. The following is a post by Modo developer in the Modo forums yesterday. Can anyone recall anything similar from Maxon. I struggle to recall any over the last 11 years. This is one of many. Posts like this go a long way to calm things down and reassure users that they are being listened to.

Slow weight editing is a well known problem and very much at the top of the list for things we want to fix. It is a hard problem though which requires deep changes and that is why it is taking time, but you can be sure that we are very well aware of the problem and working on it.

Just a reminder folks to keep things civil here. The R17 threads over at CG Talk have got quite bitter. Not something we want here.

Nigel

modo.png

Gladly the cafe is not CGTalk. People mistake censorship with deleting trolling posts. And there was a lot of posts in there that should have been deleted. 

This upfront position on the Modo forums is quite cool.  Similar to the MCG group on Facebook. I asked a question and I was answered by the guy who coded MCG. Can't get better than this right? 

All quite possible, and that's why they need to communicate with their users.

Can't argue with that ;) I'd also like to hear just a few bits about the roadmap.

Question about Modo.  is there a type of MSA or how do they handle version updates as far as costs?

I have been having a change of heart about jumping ship mostly because of cost but also having to learn a new system. IF I could see my R17 Broadcast then that could help with the decision to jump ship to Modo. That said I am comfortable with C4D and am used to the work flow so I guess I will await my copy of R17 to play with, see if things change at MAXON in regards of communication then go from there.

Question about Modo.  is there a type of MSA or how do they handle version updates as far as costs?

Currently no MSA.

To upgrade from 801 or earlier version to 901 is US $499 (or $474 from an online reseller). You are not penalized by skipping a version as you are with C4D.

Correct me if I've got it wrong anyone. You're also best to buy from an online reseller as you can save money from the list $1799.

That's my understanding of Modo's upgrade policy. You can upgrade from any version at the same upgrade price - no penalty. I think it is a great policy. I understand as a company that penalizing someone for skipping a version is a way to increase revenue since you didn't receive their money for the previous upgrade, but I would imagine it drives away others from ever upgrading.

By the way, I took your advice and started the Rich Hurrey's Rigging Master Course. I'm about an hour and a half into it, and I've loved it so far. Only 58 and a half hours left.

I think Modo's upgrade policy is very user friendly. The onus is on The Foundry to deliver an upgrade that people are willing to pay for. If they aren't then they can skip the upgrade until the next year. This all makes for much more happy users.

Also with no MSA currently although I think they are looking at it for corporate customers it doesn't tie them down to having to put out an upgrade every 12 months, it could be 14 months for example between versions.

The Rich Hurrey rigging course is just fantastic as apart from the rigging tools he covers virtually every schematic node (XPresso equivalent). I've done the first version and bought the upgrade to the latest version but haven't got around to starting it yet. I'm still getting up to speed with the modelling tools.

Another thing with Modo is you can shop around for the best deal. Once purchased the download appears your Foundry account as if you had purchased direct from The Foundry. They don't restrict their resellers from selling to overseas customers. For example I bought Modo 801 with free upgrade to 901 from sharbor.com for US $1299 The same reseller is not allowed to sell me Cinema 4D. I then downloaded 801 and 901 from my Foundry account.  There is no boxed version.

p.s. Every time I see a Modo ad here at the cafe I have to smile :)

modoad.png