Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fastbee

Leaving or staying with C4D for what and why?

Anyone seen further videos on the Takes workflow, specifically ones working with third party plugins?

Anyone seen further videos on the Takes workflow, specifically ones working with third party plugins?

Helllo
If 3d party renderer somehow not support new takes system, developer of renderer can get api of takes and apply it

Regarding news in the R17 SDK, here are a the most important points:

Python
- Take System Support
- More C++ API Coverage
- Sculpting Additions
- Fixes

C++
- Take System Support
- Token System Support
- UTF-32 Unicode Strings
- Removed Legacy Defines
- SculptBrush MouseData
- Sculpting Additions
- SplineHelp Enhancements
- Spline Functions
- Spline Brush SDK Example
- CKey Autotangent Support
- New Color Chooser Support
- Hover menu
- New Motion Blur API

----------------

Also if you have plug-ins earlier 15 or mawbe 16 sp2 - they will not work properly(a few features) or completely will not - https://developers.MAXON.net/?p=2700

need to recompile to brand new sdk and python sdk

I will stay with CINEMA 4D. Even if the last three Releases where a little weak. I think longterm. And I have good feelings about the generell path C4D is going. Also I am very sure MAXON is working on a lot more than we currently know of. You just need to look at the amount of Developers MAXON employed the last Years. MAXON is many times bigger than a few years ago...there must be something going on what we can not see yet.

I have made this Video about takes and tokens...not about Plugins with takes...but you can think of takes this way: You can store any Parameter that is available in the Attributesmanager in a separate take. So if a Plugin has parameter that are vissible in the Attributesmanager Takes can use them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u94QfzjW7WU

I hear Kent Barber left MAXON in July, he developed sculpt for c4d and was involved in substance shader development.

MAXON will find replacement ... but how, seems they still have not second Dave O'Reilly, who made hair and sketch&toon. r15-16 had poor development of these modules

----------------

Also if you have plug-ins earlier 15 or mawbe 16 sp2 - they will not work properly(a few features) or completely will not - https://developers.MAXON.net/?p=2700

need to recompile to brand new sdk and python sdk

More good news! So we can't even rely upon our plugins working...

It would be cooler if it had a substract function

In any case I just wanted to emphasise the difference in the development of other packages

i just watched another video for r17 (https://vimeo.com/135794929) and as a matter of fact the metaballs do have a substract function. it's called "negative influence" inside the metaball tag. ok it looks cool but also too slow (gpu demanding) and that with just simple objects

More good news! So we can't even rely upon our plugins working...

yeah, a few developers left their business. for example, i can not hear Keith(developer or riptide and etc.). i don't know will be work or not

I will stay with CINEMA 4D. Even if the last three Releases where a little weak. I think longterm. And I have good feelings about the generell path C4D is going. Also I am very sure MAXON is working on a lot more than we currently know of. You just need to look at the amount of Developers MAXON employed the last Years. MAXON is many times bigger than a few years ago...there must be something going on what we can not see yet.

But you don't know do you, you have no idea what they're working on and certainly not if they're going to address our major concerns in good time. There's no effective communication at all. It doesn't make business sense to keep hoping MAXON is going to deliver I want to hear from them that they do understand the concerns and are actively addressing them and it is their intention to deliver asap.

The MAXON representative on CGS has decided to take his ball home because he doesn't like the critique of the very weak R17 by forum users much preferring to hear from Studio customers. Those studio customers probably aren't hampered as much as those relying upon C4D for the core workflow because they can just choose to use Houdini or XSI or Zbrush or whatever to work round C4D deficiencies. The best he could do to show MAXON communicating was to post that cliched video from a few years ago which showed MAXON being rather top heavy with marketing people instead of developers. Pfft.

The danger for MAXON not taking the R17 feedback seriously is that when an option becomes available for example Modo+Fabric e.g. then they'll lose a lot of custom quickly because while MAXON refuse to keep their customers informed the competition is doing a very nice job of warming them to their products.

I hear Kent Barber left MAXON in July, he developed sculpt for c4d and was involved in substance shader development.

MAXON will find replacement ... but how, seems they still have not second Dave O'Reilly, who made hair and sketch&toon. r15-16 had poor development of these modules

I heard the developer who made the Physical Render left also not so long ago. I forget another one Nigel told here the other day. So MAXON hires developers but some others left, I don't think it's good news as a new developer has to dive into a code he doesn't know. Sure it must slow down the development.