Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fastbee

Leaving or staying with C4D for what and why?

I heard the developer who made the Physical Render left also not so long ago. I forget another one Nigel told here the other day. So MAXON hires developers but some others left, I don't think it's good news as a new developer has to dive in a code he don't know. Sure it must slow down the development.

Yes, Alexandr, left at end of 2014. Shrek showed whoisMaxon video, half of these people don't work at MAXON.

I see such situation, Shrek moved from forum leaders(but still he has flag of it in profile, maybe it was trick) - he run from upcoming problems, which don't want to solve

More good news! So we can't even rely upon our plugins working...

No way... really? :ohmy:

Cheers,

Juan

No way... really? :ohmy:

Cheers,

Juan

please, don't panic...ok-ok you can to panic. of course we can to lost a few old abandoned plug-ins.
if developer is smart and has automatic refactoring tools, he/she easily will to transfer a few old stuff.

But you don't know do you, you have no idea what they're working on and certainly not if they're going to address our major concerns in good time. There's no effective communication at all.

But I do. Currently the communication policy in the company is simply like that, which doesn't mean it won't change in future. As far as I am aware MAXON decided not to communicate about future development mostly to be responsible and not promising something that for some reason it couldn't potentially deliver. I simply don't understand why people are so focused on that? I never saw anyone questioning similar policy in other companies? For example, nobody is questioning a car or smartphone company to reveal what they are working on, but somehow MAXON is not entitled to keep it's technology and development plans for themselves as others are.

The best he could do to show MAXON communicating was to post that cliched video from a few years ago which showed MAXON being rather top heavy with marketing people instead of developers. Pfft.

And that is exactly why he is leaving cgtalk as moderator because he is frustrated that people are drawing conclusions and speculate with his every post among other things. Here you are falsely, with no insight or inhouse knowledge at all presuming that marketing people exceed developers and other employees. You couldn't be me more wrong but regardless you stated it as fact as though you are sure that is the case. I can see how he became tired after years and years on forum in regard to that.

The MAXON representative on CGS has decided to take his ball home because he doesn't like the critique of the very weak R17 by forum users much preferring to hear from Studio customers.

But he is not MAXON representative. It is incredible that people simply can't understand this and regardless of how many times he stated this in bold, the conclusion is that since he works for MAXON he must be by default, by nature of things their spokesmen. Imagine that you work in car company and that your neighbors who happen to have those cars knock on your doors and see you as representative? I simply fail to see the logic behind this.

@ilayspire

I am not sure why are you disinforming people about half of people shown in MAXON video are not working there anymore? That is simply not true.
It is perfectly normal in software development that people are coming and leaving, depending on various factors. Fact that one developer leaves has no impact on any larger company such as MAXON. In recent years there was far, far more people coming in that leaving but somehow people seem to concentrate on event that can be perceived as negative (developer leaving) instead of 10 or 50 coming.

@ilayspire

I am not sure why are you disinforming people about half of people shown in MAXON video are not working there anymore? That is simply not true.
It is perfectly normal in software development that people are coming and leaving, depending on various factors. Fact that one developer leaves has no impact on any larger company such as MAXON. In recent years there was far, far more people coming in that leaving but somehow people seem to concentrate on event that can be perceived as negative (developer leaving) instead of 10 or 50 coming.

open linkedin and search over MAXON profile

Well, I will most probably renew my MSA for those reasons:

- taxe purpose

- no time yet to learn properly for instance Houdini

- Take system

However, I do still really feel R17 is a good R16.5 only IMO.

Anyway, does it worth the money, not sure but I guess that's life ;o)

Cheers

Regis

But I do. Currently the communication policy in the company is simply like that, which doesn't mean it won't change in future. As far as I am aware MAXON decided not to communicate about future development mostly to be responsible and not promising something that for some reason it couldn't potentially deliver. I simply don't understand why people are so focused on that? I never saw anyone questioning similar policy in other companies? For example, nobody is questioning a car or smartphone company to reveal what they are working on, but somehow MAXON is not entitled to keep it's technology and development plans for themselves as others are.

My business is built on C4D. The way that I put a roof over my family's head is entirely through the use of C4D. Without communication or a 'road map' MAXON is expecting me to plan the future of my business and my long term prosperity based on absolutely nothing. It is utterly bizarre that they think this acceptable and, please, spare me the 'don't want to over promise' BS that they've been peddling for years. MAXON are acting like a 10 year old covering up their writing so no-one can see. Unless they have something revolutionary that's going to be an industry game changer, there really is no reason to keep secrets from the people that they expect to invest both time and money, long term, into their app.

As for cars, I knew the new Ferrari 488 was going to be turbocharged about a year before it was release and very few people's business is based on a smart phone.

And that is exactly why he is leaving cgtalk as moderator because he is frustrated that people are drawing conclusions and speculate with his every post among other things. Here you are falsely, with no insight or inhouse knowledge at all presuming that marketing people exceed developers and other employees. You couldn't be me more wrong but regardless you stated it as fact as though you are sure that is the case. I can see how he became tired after years and years on forum in regard to that.

And that's entirely MAXON's fault for not communicating with its users.

But he is not MAXON representative. It is incredible that people simply can't understand this and regardless of how many times he stated this in bold, the conclusion is that since he works for MAXON he must be by default, by nature of things their spokesmen. Imagine that you work in car company and that your neighbors who happen to have those cars knock on your doors and see you as representative? I simply fail to see the logic behind this.

To a degree this is a fair point and srek shouldn't have to take abuse. But, again, this is entirely a result of MAXON acting like North Korea.

No-one is expecting them to tell us every last detail of their business or to reveal a game changer they may have tucked up their sleeve. But a level of disclosure that allows us to project forward and make informed decisions about the future of our businesses is not too much to ask. This much they owe their users if they expect us to make long term plans in their favour.

Oh...this story just gets better and better.  R15 plugins no longer work (unless recompiled) is just one more bitter pill to swallow.  I would also imagine that R16 plugins, while possibly still working in R17, would still need to be recompiled to take advantage of the new Take System.

Kind of interested in watching the Siggraph presentations this week.  Seeing how they fill 5 days of presentations with R17 content will be interesting.  Also wondering if they will show any wide shots of the attendance at their booth.

Dave

Oh...this story just gets better and better.  R15 plugins no longer work (unless recompiled) is just one more bitter pill to swallow.  I would also imagine that R16 plugins, while possibly still working in R17, would still need to be recompiled to take advantage of the new Take System.

A few old plugins may work, i'm not sure - need to test in September

• at one side it optimize app and renew ecosystem. Lightwave still alive with old stuff
  • at other - > when you try to move user to new version, cut out "uncomfortable" tails

Kind of interested in watching the Siggraph presentations this week.  Seeing how they fill 5 days of presentations with R17 content will be interesting.  Also wondering if they will show any wide shots of the attendance at their booth.

Dave

It'll probably be similar to NAB with 5 days of XParticles demos...if Insydium have managed to recompile it for R17!!! Arf!