Leaving or staying with C4D for what and why?

Fastbee

I'm tossing and turning about this also. I can see two possible directions: one, jump ship entirely and sell the license for whatever I can get for it, or two, not upgrade but still use R16 and see what next year brings. It's a rats nest of financial decisions. 

If I sell the license and abandon c4d altogether that would free up a lot of time to learn another program. I have a monthly subscription to Maya LT which I like a lot and that could get a lot more attention. I'm not sure how much I'd get for the license but it would probably cover the cost of several years of a Maya LT subscription (although less than a year of full Maya or Max)

If I keep the license and keep using c4d then I could put a little bit of the upgrade money I'm not going to give to MAXON into some plugins like the HB bundle

And ... I don't want to waste a lot of time making the decision.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You were a fierce C4D defender, what happened!? :-) 

I just changed my priorities. I still like C4D, it has the best UI and it's rock solid. But I feel that modeling and animation (characters) are never going to be something MAXON really delves into, so it makes no sense. But I still like C4D and seeing the great work done with it.

I mentioned on the announcement thread that I wasn't going to upgrade but I have changed my mind. It's not because I am head over heels for R17 because it is not true. It has more to do with finances than anything. If I skip out on the MSA this year I likely won't ever upgrade again. The biggest feature I could see me using is the spline tool. I know I will like the take system as well though I could live without it. I am going to see what R18 has to offer next year. If it is slim pickings like R17 I will most likely jump off the MSA and MAXON upgrades for good.

I really wish that MAXON had an upgrade policy like the Foundry because it puts small studios, freelancers and hobbyists in a tough position if they don't have an MSA. 

Although I´m not happy/impress with the features that lately are in a "milestone" version I will keep using C4D, I have huge load of plugins, custom scripts, beta and alpha plugins, custom shorcuts, etc, etc, you name it, and honestly I don´t have the time and energy to start learning a new software, between house, baby, kids, dog, no thank you, I will keep using it, besides, the works that I have done with previous versions are going to be possible in the new versions as well so why to change?

My two cents.

Cheers,

Juan

I need to check if El Capitan is compatible with R16 and if it is I'll not upgrade and build a PC for 3D work and keep it in a sandbox. I intend to stay at R16 until MAXON sorts out the long standing issues. I can do everything I need to do with R16 and my plugin suite. If it wasn't for the plugins I would've already transitioned away from C4D. Being busy makes it hard to spend the time learning new software especially software at the fringes of your work. More and more good training is available for Houdini.

I am busy expanding my business and have sunk £13k into new camera gear and lenses and have another £5k to spend on lighting and audio gear so the MSA is a drop in the ocean but the big difference is the camera stuff has exceeded my expectations and so I feel great about it while the R17 upgrade didn't even meet my pitifully low expectations so buying it feels like burning money.

It's times like this I lament LW Core. If only Newtek hadn't been so dumb there would've been an excellent alternative. Raises mug of hot tea to Jay Roth, you were on the right path mate!

I'm on the fence. C4D is my main breadwinning bit of kit, and the money is not really an issue. However even though I've got r16 sitting there on MSA, I am still using r15 daily. Since most of my work is mograph and I'm rendering with octane, I haven't used most of the new r16 features in production besides the motion tracker once or twice.

I can see the takes system helping me a lot. I currently work like that (in a much more laborious fashion) using multiple file versions and file names. If I can get away having less files like Test2_Cloner_no_Gravity_09.c4d sitting around on my HDD then that's a win.

The animation tweaks will help me a lot. Nitroman's MagicCurve plugin is pretty good but the new solution looks much better.

But, if someone said octane 3 was coming out next month and it's worth 400 quid, I'd upgrade that in a second. Or maybe I should buy 3d coat, the new PBR material painting is nice. Or possibly I should get substance designer, since I've got substance painter and it's amazing. There are so many tools around that are really exciting and cost about the same as the MSA..  I don't really want to go back to Maya but the new updates make it look really appealing.

tl;dr Blender is the future. 

Sticking around for sure, Takes alone is worth the few days work it'll cost for the MSA renewal. If I wasn't with the MSA, I'd still go for it, there's plenty in it for me personally that will be a big help. That's not to say there's a lot of room for improvements across the board. The thread Hrvoje started a while back on feedback gives me hope they'll work on some of the important issues we all have.

cheers

brasc

The thread Hjorve started a while back on feedback gives me hope they'll work on some of the important issues we all have.

Don't forget that, although Hrvoje works for MAXON, that thread was not anything officially sanctioned and was just off his own back so gives no indication that anything is going to change.

Don't forget that, although Hjorve works for MAXON, that thread was not anything officially sanctioned and was just off his own back so gives no indication that anything is going to change.

Plus virtually everything that people brought up Maxon already knew about. What's coming in R18 will have already been decided  and coding will be well advanced.

The trouble with the, "it's only a couple of days work for the MSA" attitude however correct that may be is that there is still a shear lack of features in the R17 update. If everyone found every single new feature useful it would STILL be a very light release. It's not the money that's the problem it's the lack of ambition MAXON have for bringing C4D up to date and keeping features moving forward all the while we're told they've employed more developers.

I was drawn to C4D due to the developments of Mograph and what now seems like halcyon days in the life of C4D where Mograph was being developed, bullet dynamics were added, more deformers were added etc etc. There was a great period where features were added and workflow was being addressed. Fast forward a few years and Mograph is tired, dynamics is tired, Xpresso is a joke for performance and the object handling is a real impediment for anyone trying to time action in complex scene.

If R17 that is billed as a milestone release is what we're to expect from future updates then more and more of C4D will be going the way of Bodypaint and atrophy into uselessness. XParticles is actually replacing a lot of what I used Mograph for because even within the constraints of the C4D API it performs better than MAXON's own toolset, I wonder how many more plugins I'll require to pick up the slack because MAXON cannot be bothered to keep the application current?

Plus virtually everything that people brought up MAXON already knew about. What's coming in R18 will have already been decided  and coding will be well advanced.

Like most software companies they have a roadmap for upcoming features and which release will have them. I am surprised why this release was light compared to R16 and some earlier versions.

I wonder if Cinema 4D is getting to be like Adobe Photoshop where there are fewer features on the roadmap so they spread it out with subsequent versions. I don't think Cinema 4D is at the feature saturation point that Adobe Photoshop is currently but if you look at Maya releases the past few years the number of new features has been slim also.

and the object handling is a real impediment for anyone trying to time action in complex scene.

^This! Yes, yes, THIS. Dear God, THIS!!!  I challenge anyone trying to chop up photoreal strands of DNA to not pull their hair out in the process.

Archived