Leaving or staying with C4D for what and why?

Fastbee

Sorry to see you guys thinking about switching or jumping ship, hard to see such sentiment on cafe :/
This release certainly may not be suiting to everyone, but Takes are really big feature. A long requested one from vast pool of users. Same goes for improved spline tools. Animation improvements also. Not to mention that there are thigns that are not listed, for example improvements of constraints.
I definitely just want to state out that if I wouldn't truly believe in MAXON and current development I would be the first one to leave. Please have in mind that I was a freelancer for 10 years before I joined MAXON and was actually quite capable user and know Cinema practically inside out, therefore I know all the good things and shortcomings of it. What you may not know is that software development is intricate and delicate process to maximum extent you can imagine. It is relatively easy to deliver new features and power but that is almost always wrapped up in very complex and difficult form for final user, usually quite unstable across platform or the entry ticket for most users is simply too high (think Houdini - very powerful but not user friendly). On the other hand, creating equally powerful, fast performing, modern, easy to use, reliable and stable application of such scope is very difficult task. That is why there are just handful of 3D applications in the world. Takes system was a massive undertaking and I can already see shift in thoughts from watching videos alone, yet the shift which will happen once users start to use it.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The box hasn't arrived yet. That's my answer to this.
@Hjorve
The more I look at the new features, the more I feel that R17 is right up my alley. I agree that Takes is something that will be a game changer. 
> That is why there are just handful of 3D applications in the world.
Good point!

-Ingvar

Much respect to you @Hjorve for not interceding to every negative sentiment posted on the forum. It's very difficult when you have such a passion for a product to allow people to freely let off steam about their disappointments. If you're to continue to run the Cafe in this manner it will continue to be a fantastic resource. 

Enabling people to spout off their concerns in an uncensored fashion without a barrage of evangelical defences (even when the negative comments are unfair) is the sign of a healthy forum. Long may you continue this approach here.

jm

... Not to mention that there are thigns that are not listed, for example improvements of constraints.

Ahaaaa :) now this is something that should/must be somewhere to read, ok MAXON plublished the biggests features BUT this "small" things can make a huge difference in the opinions of this new release.

Is it possible to have a detail list of all this "small" improvements, please?

Cheers,

Juan

I was never against heated argument, neither Nigel was, even when it turns out into bashing and trolling I think censoring is simply not good idea. Yes, we will remove cursing, insults, inappropriate language or similar according to cafe rules :=)

Easier said than done. A few people have commented to me over the years that they've always appreciated the approach Nigel (and now you) take with the Cafe. This compares very differently to the atmosphere over on CGTalk where negative complaints are often shouted down in a barrage of evangelical zeal from some quarters. People have individual needs and experiences in the DCC packages they choose to use, especially with packages such as C4D and Modo, which have huge swathes of hobbyists amongst their users; so all views (negative or positive) have importance.

@JuanF

Pretty much impossible given the amount and would probably confuse the user since it is quite technical in it's nature. For example, Rendering got overall speed improvement of roughly 10%. Some scenes will render much faster, some marginally faster, but all in all, rendering got faster.

@jonmoore

Yes, we tend to rely on good judgement which is heavily in favor of not censoring or deleting anything unless it is quite out of the scope, rude and impolite. For example, personal insults towards members and such. Good thing is that Nigel managed to build up a Cafe as it is, and people rarely go overboard as on on, sadly, other forums...

i won't jump ship yet but no upgrade either! :) happy r14 user, seemed to go downhill from there.

r17 seems like a mighty weak rls... shouldnt be more than a .point update.

mlon

@JuanF

Pretty much impossible given the amount and would probably confuse the user since it is quite technical in it's nature. For example, Rendering got overall speed improvement of roughly 10%. Some scenes will render much faster, some marginally faster, but all in all, rendering got faster.

Thanks, yes I bet there are things more technicals that will not do anything knowing it, but so far you have mentioned two very very important things here that AFAIK we didnt know: the improvement on the constrain and now render speed. From my point of view this things add more value to this release.

Are some improvements over xpresso as well?

Some new more multithreaded things that wasnt in the R16? 

Sorry to keep asking this things but as you know the devil is in the details :)

Cheers,

Juan

As a hobbiest I make no money from c4d whatsoever, so I need to feel like iam getting something back from paying over £500 a year for the MSA.  This year R17 really has nothing iam interested in, not even 'takes' which may be a game changer for the few that work this way but certainly not all.  I also don't have much time to do cg stuff anymore either and the time I do have I find myself using plugins (xp, tfd, octane), so this release would really feel like throwing a wad of cash on the fire.

I will probably sell c4d soon, but i am still tossing the idea of upgrading to r17, wondering if just selling r16 would be a bette deal for me or not.  Then I think I will take a look at blender and houdini indie who seem to actually think about the hobby users!

Maybe MAXON could do a 17.5 release with a few extra features as imo r17 has received the most negative response ive ever known since I started with r12.

ten

Are some improvements over xpresso as well?

Some new more multithreaded things that wasnt in the R16? 

1. There is new takes related node only

2. Multithreading, yes, but too technical and spread out throughout. Mostly in rendering and MoGraph. Not sure if any cumulative effect will be seen outside specific situations and rendering itself.

Wait until people work out that the MAXON excuse for not being able to add features during a cycle due to US accountancy law is horse doo doo.

The Sarbanes-Oxley law, as far as I can see reading it only applies to EU companies if they are dual listed on EU and US stock markets. Correct me if I'm wrong but MAXON or Parent company is not listed in the US. It's a limit of liability company in Germany.

Also, I purchased FCPX, Motion and Compressor from Apple some years ago and I haven't paid for a single upgrade of which there have been numerous every single year. So even a US firm can work around this requirement for the benefit of their customers if they have the will.

Anyone at MAXON like to prove me wrong?

Archived