Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fastbee

Leaving or staying with C4D for what and why?

@JuanF

Pretty much impossible given the amount and would probably confuse the user since it is quite technical in it's nature. For example, Rendering got overall speed improvement of roughly 10%. Some scenes will render much faster, some marginally faster, but all in all, rendering got faster.

@jonmoore

Yes, we tend to rely on good judgement which is heavily in favor of not censoring or deleting anything unless it is quite out of the scope, rude and impolite. For example, personal insults towards members and such. Good thing is that Nigel managed to build up a Cafe as it is, and people rarely go overboard as on on, sadly, other forums...

i won't jump ship yet but no upgrade either! :) happy r14 user, seemed to go downhill from there.

r17 seems like a mighty weak rls... shouldnt be more than a .point update.

mlon

@JuanF

Pretty much impossible given the amount and would probably confuse the user since it is quite technical in it's nature. For example, Rendering got overall speed improvement of roughly 10%. Some scenes will render much faster, some marginally faster, but all in all, rendering got faster.

Thanks, yes I bet there are things more technicals that will not do anything knowing it, but so far you have mentioned two very very important things here that AFAIK we didnt know: the improvement on the constrain and now render speed. From my point of view this things add more value to this release.

Are some improvements over xpresso as well?

Some new more multithreaded things that wasnt in the R16? 

Sorry to keep asking this things but as you know the devil is in the details :)

Cheers,

Juan

As a hobbiest I make no money from c4d whatsoever, so I need to feel like iam getting something back from paying over £500 a year for the MSA.  This year R17 really has nothing iam interested in, not even 'takes' which may be a game changer for the few that work this way but certainly not all.  I also don't have much time to do cg stuff anymore either and the time I do have I find myself using plugins (xp, tfd, octane), so this release would really feel like throwing a wad of cash on the fire.

I will probably sell c4d soon, but i am still tossing the idea of upgrading to r17, wondering if just selling r16 would be a bette deal for me or not.  Then I think I will take a look at blender and houdini indie who seem to actually think about the hobby users!

Maybe MAXON could do a 17.5 release with a few extra features as imo r17 has received the most negative response ive ever known since I started with r12.

ten

Are some improvements over xpresso as well?

Some new more multithreaded things that wasnt in the R16? 

1. There is new takes related node only

2. Multithreading, yes, but too technical and spread out throughout. Mostly in rendering and MoGraph. Not sure if any cumulative effect will be seen outside specific situations and rendering itself.

Wait until people work out that the MAXON excuse for not being able to add features during a cycle due to US accountancy law is horse doo doo.

The Sarbanes-Oxley law, as far as I can see reading it only applies to EU companies if they are dual listed on EU and US stock markets. Correct me if I'm wrong but MAXON or Parent company is not listed in the US. It's a limit of liability company in Germany.

Also, I purchased FCPX, Motion and Compressor from Apple some years ago and I haven't paid for a single upgrade of which there have been numerous every single year. So even a US firm can work around this requirement for the benefit of their customers if they have the will.

Anyone at MAXON like to prove me wrong?

The nature of my career has changed lately. I'm making a lot of my income outside of 3d. Meanwhile I enjoy less discretionary time so I don't think I can focus on learning a new 3d program.

So I'll be in a position where I stay with c4d of necessity for now, though I own Modo 901 and Houdini Indie.

But I am not happy with the upgrade in terms of it's lack of depth and it's continued neglect of key features. I can benefit from 'takes' so I'll probably upgrade for that. Bug again, with many here: I'm not a happy c4d camper.

Sorry to see you guys thinking about switching or jumping ship, hard to see such sentiment on cafe :/

Not sure if we're jumping ship or MAXON's jumping ship. I just found out about the '2 machines only if you have a current MSA' policy. Didn't know about that. So if I don't pony up $650 I have to uninstall c4d on my laptop? MAXON is really not what you'd call a customer friendly company, is it? Autodesk is like a teddy bear compared to them.

Not sure if we're jumping ship or MAXON's jumping ship. I just found out about the '2 machines only if you have a current MSA' policy. Didn't know about that. So if I don't pony up $650 I have to uninstall c4d on my laptop? MAXON is really not what you'd call a customer friendly company, is it? Autodesk is like a teddy bear compared to them.

My license of Maya has pretty much exactly the same terms, because I'm a subscription customer I can install and activate Maya on 2 separate machines. Otherwise it's a single license/single machine only. Pixologic on the other hand let all users install ZBrush on 2 machines (they only have one kind of license though). In both of those cases though the install has to be authenticated online.. not so with Cinema.. so technically there's nothing preventing you from continuing to run C4D on two machines...

Really I don't see this as a big deal. It's not like MAXON are going to come knocking on your door demanding to check your laptop to see if you've installed C4D on it too.

Cheers,

Brian

My license of Maya has pretty much exactly the same terms, because I'm a subscription customer I can install and activate Maya on 2 separate machines.

Brian

I didn't know that's the way Maya subscriptions work. I have Maya LT but I've never looked at the subscription terms. I assumed it was the same as my AutoCAD LT subscription which let's me install it on any machine I want but only use it on one. Same as modo and Rhino (non subscription licenses).