Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fastbee

Leaving or staying with C4D for what and why?

I always use both installs here which is probably why I'm conscious of it. I always like to keep all of my main apps installed on my older machine here too just in case my work machine craps out on me in the the middle of a job. It's never happened.. but better to be safe than sorry :)

Cheers,

Brian

I always use both installs here which is probably why I'm conscious of it. I always like to keep all of my main apps installed on my older machine here too just in case my work machine craps out on me in the the middle of a job. It's never happened.. but better to be safe than sorry :)

Cheers,

Brian

Happened to me 3 months ago and I wasn't set up like you are. MB failure. By the time it was all done I was out a week of billable hours (close to what it would have cost me to buy a 2nd stripped down machine as a backup). So I'll take your advice and let the 2nd license languish on the laptop - until 2 guys in trench coats show up in the middle of the night.

I really like Cinema 4D although regarding character modeling I look into the direction of 3D Coat or zBrush. I prefer to render in Vray.

I'm also lucky to have Hrvoje's trainings about rigging and limitations can often be solved with xpresso or phyton scripts. I like to use C4D as well in future, but I also work with R15 as well although I have an MSA. So I think about cancelling the MSA, because the new versions need new versions of plugins and maybe new scripts without providing a lot of benefit for me.

I think MAXON has 2 options for the future.

- Bring new features, that other programs have without being good at it.

- Concentrate on some key features and provide stable and simple interfaces (modular) to other software that is best in class in other areas. Just like they did with Houdini.

By the way: I still wonder, why MAXON had implemented that strange incompatible displacement concept. The maps resulting from sculpting cannot be used in 3rd party render engines. They really should try to stick to industry standards and improve some of their file import/exports.

i'm a freelancer doing a little bit of everything, motion graphics, product visualisations (mostly audio equipment), character modeling/animation and graphic design. and i'm not planning on jumping ship. i can understand if pure modelers like nigel are switching to modo or pure animators to maya, but for me c4d is still the best allrounder. as for the upgrade: seems a bit thin, but r17 provides much more useful improvements to me than r16. so i'll be getting the upgrade. even if MAXON has some management issues, c4d is still the best fit for what i do. i really hope for some more animation improvements and better viewport performance in r18... we'll see. 

Greetings guys

I am a bit all arounder myself but my main focus is model/uv/texture/render. I am a very disappointed with r17 but I am giving one last chance to MAXON. The reason I give this chance is because MODO with which I am playing the last month, has no parametric spline modeling that I am used to a lot. This is the ONLY reason I am sticking to c4d for now.

If R18 does not have some major improvements on these 3 fundamental aspects of 3D…modeling/uving/texturing I am out of here.

This is really a joke for me…Modo has mesh fusion..LW has meta-mesh and we have updated metaballs….UNBELIEVABLE

I started 3D right after r12 was released. The only 3d package I had heard about back then was 3ds max. I was a photoshop guy before that. I studied a lot which package I should follow and at that time C4D was gaining a lot of territory, so I chose it. Last year I decided to learn 3ds max because I wanted to get into arch viz. I was impressed with the modeling tools, the uv tools, the modifier stack which is super parametric (you can build a whole floor and still have the parameters of the initial cube). I spent 3 full months with 3ds max so that I could be productive and I really enjoyed it. I use both software but I am faster in c4d and I like it more. With mograph you can do so many things..not just for motion graphics but for modeling too. This year, after I got to know MODO i really believe it is the next big thing. The foundry is a superb company.

MAXON…I really hope you are listening….MODEL  / UV / TEXTURE + OBJECT HANDLING

Cheers..

@#@!@# Metaballs…..UNBELIEVABLE

I thought the metaballs update was pretty cool, actually. Random, but cool.

I thought the metaballs update was pretty cool, actually. Random, but cool.

I think also, happy to see that it's not yet a feature left for dead like Bodypaint.

It would be cooler if it had a substract function

In any case I just wanted to emphasise the difference in the development of other packages

Freelancer. Not upgrading to R17 (unless they cut the MSA price in half - this is inarguably a .5 release, to suggest otherwise is wholly disingenuous - no matter how cool Takes and Tokens are). 

Tentatively keeping my investment in C4D R16. Might sell my license if Houdini 15 has major UI improvements and/or if The Foundry releases a version of Modo in the next 12 months that has improved motion graphics capabilities.

Given that R16 is still sitting unused on my hard drive it makes no sense for me to shell out on the underwhelming R17. R18 might be the last straw...