Leaving or staying with C4D for what and why?

Fastbee

Freelancer. Not upgrading to R17 (unless they cut the MSA price in half - this is inarguably a .5 release, to suggest otherwise is wholly disingenuous - no matter how cool Takes and Tokens are). 

Tentatively keeping my investment in C4D R16. Might sell my license if Houdini 15 has major UI improvements and/or if The Foundry releases a version of Modo in the next 12 months that has improved motion graphics capabilities.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Freelancer. Not upgrading to R17 (unless they cut the MSA price in half - this is inarguably a .5 release, to suggest otherwise is wholly disingenuous - no matter how cool Takes and Tokens are). 

Tentatively keeping my investment in C4D R16. Might sell my license if Houdini 15 has major UI improvements and/or if The Foundry releases a version of Modo in the next 12 months that has improved motion graphics capabilities.

I set a lot of hope into FabricEngine 2:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/135558017

https://player.vimeo.com/video/135353349

http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=4&t=113850

http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=4&t=108330

http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=3&t=108351

Soon, we will know more.

cheers

celke

Guest jjpainter

Does this mean I can't keep C4d going as a render node on my 2nd computer if I drop my MSA?
If so, that really would be the last straw for me.

I believe render nodes are only limited by the version you purchased. If you have Studio you can install and launch Team Render Client and render on unlimited nodes

Guest Harrybee

I believe render nodes are only limited by the version you purchased. If you have Studio you can install and launch Team Render Client and render on unlimited nodes

Right.
It has nothing to do if you have a MSA or not.

BTW: You can always bypass this 'Install C4D only on one (or 2 in case of MSA) computer' thing if you install C4D on one mobile harddrive and use this with different computers.
CU ;-)

I will admit that I don't quite understand what Fabric Engine is. Could someone enlighten me? Thanks.

The Fabric engine could be described as super optimised multithreaded GPU accelerated Xpresso on steroids and is developed by the guys who developed ICE in XSI. It started out as a programming environment but has gained a nodal workflow which should make it more appealing to more people.

It's an development environment for TDs to build tools and rigs for any application that has the bridge. C4D currently does not....

Fabric 2 (with canvas) looks amazing, I can't wait to play with it. Also, it will work with Cinema! So that means they'll never have to update mograph </sarcasm>.

Well I've been humming and haa-ing for the last couple of days, and as a mere hobbyist I think I am coming down on the side of staying with R16 and building a new quadcopter with the money. £500. It's too much for too little at the end of the day.

As a Studio owner I just feel that MAXON are dipping my pocket and as the victim of a pickpocket you don't get your money back anytime. They really need to slash the price if they are going to offer up the measly morsels they've been handing out.

Amen.  This is exactly how I feel as well.  I don't relish switching as I have an extensive investment in C4D plugins, but then again, packages like Maya and Houdini don't _need_ so many commercial third-party plugins to address feature lacks, because they include so many more (working, maintained) features in the package itself.  MAXON charges as if they are feature-comparable with market leaders like Maya, but they haven't even been close for some time, and are falling further behind each release -- yet their pricing hasn't changed.

The last few releases have been feature/improvement-weak, quality has been seriously slipping, and their expecting us to pay over and over for their (unsuccessful) attempts to fix problems is wholly unacceptable.  I've given them multiple releases to realize and address such issues, expressing my dissatisfaction but still paying, and C4D's value-for-cost has only worsened with each release.  R17 is, IMO, the weakest release and poorest value-for-cost yet (esp. for Studio customers), and IMO, that strongly negates all the "lip service" they've been giving to customers over the last few months.  IMO, they'll keep sending increasingly lower value-for-cost releases unless and until customers stand up against such mistreatment.

Anyway, I'm not completely decided yet which package will be my new "main" package.  I already have a modo 901 license, and will probably see how that works as my "main" package for a while.  I'm also thinking it is perhaps time for me to give Maya another try as my "main" package.

MAXON could still fix this, by recognizing R17's lack of value and lowering MSA/upgrade pricing accordingly.  It wouldn't solve all my issues with them, but I'd be willing to give them a bit longer to solve the bigger competitive issues.

Archived