Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fastbee

Leaving or staying with C4D for what and why?

All I can say is thank God I qualify for a student license. If MAXON had a more realistic upgrade path, I would have probably kept my full license. Instead I'll stick with modo to earn a little money.

Something that occurs to me is that MAXON have traded for a long time on C4D being the easiest program to use, and that may have been true in the past, but it seems like the other apps are catching up in that area.

New video from AD discusses this directly.

Something that occurs to me is that MAXON have traded for a long time on C4D being the easiest program to use, and that may have been true in the past, but it seems like the other apps are catching up in that area.

Thanks for the video, very interesting. I knew Autodesk worked a lot with XSI users to make Maya more artist friendly and I heard it's just the beginning. 

I'm a hobbyist - and two versions behind currently anyway, but I'll carry on with C4D (either as I am now, or if I find a compelling reason to shell out my hard earned, upgrade). The why is simple, I've used C4D since the Amiga days. I know the software, and I've known the evolution. V15 and 16 didn't give me a reason to upgrade. Maybe 17 (not likely from what I've read) or 18 will give me a reason. For now, 14 does what I need. I emphasise, hobbyist.

EDIT: It's a shame Real3D never progressed. That was a true vertex modeller. I shudder to think what it could have become.

EDIT2: I've started playing with Blender over the past 12 months. The interface and workflow is so far removed from everything else, but I'm starting to get used to it, and it could become my goto place, not least because of Cycles and GPU rendering, which is an order of magnitude faster, and since my preferred OS is Linux, native.

I've been working with Maya LT and I don't find it any more difficult than Cinema. The buttons are in different places but other than that ...

Fabric Engine 2 does look to have some nice motion graphics potential, maybe even some mograph-like potential. Albeit in a nodal setup it will have a different learning curve. Still. . . makes Modo 901 all the more tempting.

I need to check if El Capitan is compatible with R16 and if it is I'll not upgrade and build a PC for 3D work and keep it in a sandbox. I intend to stay at R16 until MAXON sorts out the long standing issues. I can do everything I need to do with R16 and my plugin suite. If it wasn't for the plugins I would've already transitioned away from C4D. Being busy makes it hard to spend the time learning new software especially software at the fringes of your work. More and more good training is available for Houdini.

I am busy expanding my business and have sunk £13k into new camera gear and lenses and have another £5k to spend on lighting and audio gear so the MSA is a drop in the ocean but the big difference is the camera stuff has exceeded my expectations and so I feel great about it while the R17 upgrade didn't even meet my pitifully low expectations so buying it feels like burning money.

It's times like this I lament LW Core. If only Newtek hadn't been so dumb there would've been an excellent alternative. Raises mug of hot tea to Jay Roth, you were on the right path mate!

R16 worked great on 10.11DP2, on DP1 it was way to buggy, on DP5/PB2 it works ok but it took a performance hit, frame rates on El Cap are considerably higher, but still considerably lower than on windows... Overall 10.11 feels snappier and more polished. On a side note Apple started to dabble with game development in Xcode... so as an added bonus now you can quicklook and tumble around obj, fbx, abc, didn't test the other formats... provided that you install xcode :)'

Don't worry Cutman, MAXON will probably devote precious dev time to that too, and the only thing you'll need in the end is c4d viewport :)

To stay or go?

The first image is a JPG from modo. Modo's preview renderer is the renderer in most circumstances. What you see is exactly what you get.

The second image is a screen shot from Cinema, the left panel is what I see in the viewport, the right panel is the render. Now I will begin the process of trying to make the render look like what I see in the viewport.

Notice that the texture in the c4d viewport is arguably more beautiful than the texture in the modo render but - so what? If I have to spend an hour or more to bring the render into line with the c4d viewport than it's not worth it. Furthermore, if you look closely at the seams in the c4d viewport you'll see that the bump is doing something funny there. To work with that on a UV level I'd have to re-watch Kiwi's Bodypaint tutorial and I'd still probably not get it. Working with UVs in modo is a snap.

And going forward, we've been told over and over again, even by the MAXON people on these forums that R18 was probably already in beta before the summer revolt so it's not realistic to assume the changes we need will be reflected in that release. So I'll wait 2 years minimum and pay $650 X 3 with no guarantee that I'll get a product that could be called state of the art? And we know MAXON isn't going to tell us anything (compare that to posts by the developers of Fabric Engine over on the modo forums that talk openly and explicitly about their plans going forward).

Someone tell me why that would be sensible.

8OldFultonAug8_1.JPG

c4d.jpg

And going forward, we've been told over and over again, even by the MAXON people on these forums that R18 was probably already in beta before the summer revolt so it's not realistic to assume the changes we need will be reflected in that release.

It's not in Beta. Parts of it will be in Alpha state at this point in time. Other parts will still be getting coded. Maxon however knows with 95% certainty what will be in R18. The 5% is for minor modifications that may crop up during testing. They won't spill the beans on what's in it in case they pull something or hold it back for R19 because it didn't get finished in time or was too buggy to release. About the best that we can hope for is they'll say something like "Yeah we hear you and yes UV editing is being worked on". No mention of when we can expect those enhancements. If the rewritten core is coming in R18 then it's probably finished now.

My suggestion is you run with Modo and hang on to your money until at some point in the future Maxon finally delivers the goods.

My suggestion is you run with Modo and hang on to your money until at some point in the future MAXON finally delivers the goods.

I was thinking about that too... but now i am also thinking about houdini. Motion graphics is not really my thing but watching some videos i realize there is much more inside houdini.  

Modo is giving me the chance to get better in what i do which is model/uv/texture/render... but to be honest i can do that with cinema4d also... with all the frustrating anyway..

Houdini on the other hand is another world which can add a lot to our arsenal.. hmmm difficult decisions ahead

What i mean is that by sticking to c4d and at the same time learning houdini, i will gain much more than jumping ship to modo