Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GaryAbrehart

Humpback Whale

I have been itching to do an underwater scene with caustics, visible light etc and so I revisited an old project from many years ago (2002 to be exact) of a whale model that I started (I did want to do a Dunkleosteus) and thought it would be a great thing to refine and then use the scultping tools on which I have never really used. So here is the model so far...

Whale v03.jpg

OK so I am now at the stage where I can merge the two halves, make it less symmetrical and then layout the UVs. I am assuming that you have to layout UVs before you start sculpting or else it won't work when you apply the created normal and displacement maps - correct? This sculpting is something I wish to get to grips with so that I can add it to my repertoire of skills.

Nomi

The rigging is the easy bit for me done loads of it and character animation too. BIts I am not so good on are sculpting and some of the fancier VFX stuff. I have jumped the gun a bit and rendered this scene od the whale out using caustics, fog and volumetric light. I am hoping that once I have a fully modelled/textured whale it will look much better and I can add extras like bubbles a bit of weed etc...

Whale Scene v01.jpg

Nomi

The rigging is the easy bit for me done loads of it and character animation too. BIts I am not so good on are sculpting and some of the fancier VFX stuff. I have jumped the gun a bit and rendered this scene od the whale out using caustics, fog and volumetric light. I am hoping that once I have a fully modelled/textured whale it will look much better and I can add extras like bubbles a bit of weed etc...

Whale Scene v01.jpg

I couldn't figure out the joint structure for the body so the head and tail could move up and down in unison. I am a lot better at rigging than I ui ever was before, but that isn't saying  a whole lot! Bubble and footy things I added in after effects and really plated with the colours and overall look there as well. It was a lot easier than trying to get it exactly right in c4d alone. 

Nomi

Trick is to work out the COG (center of gravity) which with humans is the hips. With a horse it is the middle of the back and would be the same as the whale so you need to have a joint in the middle of the back and joints off of that which are parented to nulls so that you can move front and back separately from each other. I won't go much further than this since it is starting to go off topic :-)