Hole in sphere

Guest Kima

This forum is a bit buggy. I posted a jpg (you still see the icon attached to my post above.). But then it also showed up in the thread in the Lounge called 18.5 / 19. I deleted it there but then it also deleted it here. I'm going to re-attach it and see what happens.

Another option for a simple hole in a sphere, or symmetrical hole-thru would be a lathe NURBS ... easy, flexible, intricate shaping at the edges. As mentioned, if you work with a dense enough mesh and have time for tweaking the result, a Boole will work. For elaborate, and precise, boolean cutting operations, MoI is hard to beat. 

Sphere&Hole.jpg

you could select the polygon you want to put a hole in, use subdivide, select the center point, bevel, increase the subdivision on bevel, decrease the depth to zero, select LIMIT, then select corner N-Gons, delete the polygon and you have your hole.  

I tried this and mine looks c_ra_p plus the subdivide makes loads of triangles on surrounding faces.

Edited by Kima

Create a sphere 24 subdivisions should be fine depending in the size of the hole. Create a circle spline as reference and in on orthographic place the circle where you and it and project. It works better if the polys that will be deleted are all contained within the circle. Use the slide tool to move the points on to the circle. Try to keep them equidistant. Delete the circle and delete the polys. Loop select the hole and extrude. Chuck it all under a hypernurb.

Screenshot_2015-08-31_09-31-32.png

Screenshot_2015-08-31_09-31-58.png

The plugin I linked too automates the excellent approach suggested by @RokenPrice.

I'm not so sure. Looking at the video it looks like it moves the points rather than sliding, which won't preserve the spherical shape around the hole. That's also why I suggest making sure that all the polys defining the hole are kept inside the reference rather than outside. Sliding them out preserves the sphere, whilst sliding them in can deform it.

Create a sphere 24 subdivisions should be fine depending in the size of the hole. Create a circle spline as reference and in on orthographic place the circle where you and it and project. It works better if the polys that will be deleted are all contained within the circle. Use the slide tool to move the points on to the circle. Try to keep them equidistant. Delete the circle and delete the polys. Loop select the hole and extrude. Chuck it all under a hypernurb.

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong but I just tried this and it looks like a dogs breakfast.  Not sure how to make the points equally around the spline, my edge ended up sticking out everywhere all lumpy and then I selected the edge to extrude it but that also does not seem to work. My edge just extrudes toward the centre of the hole to make more thin polys. How do I extrude an edge loop?  And how do I make the points neatly onto the spline?

I'm not so sure. Looking at the video it looks like it moves the points rather than sliding, which won't preserve the spherical shape around the hole. That's also why I suggest making sure that all the polys defining the hole are kept inside the reference rather than outside. Sliding them out preserves the sphere, whilst sliding them in can deform it.

The latest version does slide the points as is demonstrated in this video (perfect circles with no smoothing/deformation issues). But always good to know the manual way too if that's what floats your boat. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q55_MbdyB_8