Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kima

Hole in sphere

Guest Kima
  • Topic Author
  • I have another problem to solve. Suppose I have a hole on the other side too so that you can see through and will be able to see that the extrusion is only an edge. What would be the best way to make the entire inside of the sphere thicker so you won't see that the thickness is fake?

Guest darby
  • Topic Author
  • Why would the thickness be fake? If you want the hole to go all the way through just Stitch and Sew the extruded edges together to create a tunnel. If you don't want the holes to go all the way through then extrude the inside edge and collapse it to create a cap.

If I've misunderstood please try to describe the problem in more detail.

Guest Kima
  • Topic Author
  • Why would the thickness be fake? If you want the hole to go all the way through just Stitch and Sew the extruded edges together to create a tunnel. If you don't want the holes to go all the way through then extrude the inside edge and collapse it to create a cap.

If I've misunderstood please try to describe the problem in more detail.

ok so say there are several so the camera can see from different directions. I'm not wanting a tunnel just a sphere with holes.  When you extrude the edge your just getting an illusion of thickness. If you look from another hole you can see that it's just an edge extruding inward.    I got a good result with the cloth surface, is there any other way? 

ok so say there are several so the camera can see from different directions. I'm not wanting a tunnel just a sphere with holes.  When you extrude the edge your just getting an illusion of thickness. If you look from another hole you can see that it's just an edge extruding inward.    I got a good result with the cloth surface, is there any other way? 

Just extrude the entire thing with the "Caps" option enabled. This then gives all of you holes some depth. You may have to add in some edge loops to tighten up the thickness part of the hole.

HEC4D and houdini's cookie(booleans), very simple asset

hec4d_h_sph.thumb.jpg.74a77eec51ca15cb1e

Guest darby
  • Topic Author
  • HEC4D and houdini's cookie(booleans), very simple asset

hec4d_h_sph.thumb.jpg.74a77eec51ca15cb1e

Why bother with Houdini?  A Boole can do that just fine but the N-Gons will eat you up if you're not careful!

Why bother with Houdini?  A Boole can do that just fine but the N-Gons will eat you up if you're not careful!

just for fun. and one of main features for r17 is hec4d.

also i like re-meshing and vdb features of houdini

Now here's how a REAL man makes a sphere with a hole in it:

1) Create a small sphere

2) Create a bigger sphere

3) Clone the smaller sphere and have it fill the volume of the bigger sphere

4) Set the clone count to something outrageously high. When in doubt, just add a few more zeros. (Pro Tip: save time by multiplying your outrageous value by something like 100)

5) Create a cylinder and make them both dynamic

6) Press play and gently -BUT CONFIDENTLY-  press the cylinder into the ball of spheres

7) Make it editable, delete the cylinder

8) Place into a metaball editor subdivision to around 5. Begin lowering in single value increments continuously smelling your computer's air vent. When you start to smell burning plastic back up one value.

If you weren't too cowardly with your clone count, and are a REAL man (I can't stress this part enough) then, and only then, will you have the most perfect of spheres with a hole in it.

Untitled_5.thumb.jpg.f578be298c3e2c59c91

Now here's how a REAL man makes a sphere with a hole in it:

Now that is just insane lol. I'l love to see you do anything useful with the resulting geometry lol

also i like re-meshing and vdb features of houdini

All well and good, but why have to re-mesh when your mesh can be clean to start with?