My Wip's & Finals

Been working on this for a couple of weeks on and of now. I want to approach this project different than creating skin detail through hand painted methods. Instead I bought a high res facial displacement map with micro, secondairy and tertiary details to project on the face and extract it, Not really sure yet on how to approach this but I want to learn these techniques they use in vfx or game studios. 

The idea was to make a sort of half human/robot head so I'll probably apply some metal tech to the head.
As a base mesh I used the retopo'ed C4D mesh of my head scan I made a while back and spent an evening reshaping that and get the right proportions.

WipRender.jpg

Edited by PrivatePolygon
typo

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here you go guys, finally finished with this interior project. Was my first and probably only visualisation project with Corona. I'm going to learn Unreal Engine 4 next and stay with the physical rend

What's up people!?  Haven't been around the past few years due to the fact that my work requires me to sit behind a pc monitor all day and I would like to do things in the real world as well 😅

Hi all!  First of all, hope everyone's had a great Christmas, I'm stuffed lol! So here's a first look at my project with color on the character! I still have to do the hair but haven't had time to

Posted Images

1 hour ago, PrivatePolygon said:

Been working on this for a couple of weeks on and of now. I want to approach this project different than creating skin detail through hand painted methods. Instead I bought a high res facial displacement map with micro, secondairy and tertiary details to project on the face and extract it, Not really sure yet on how to approach this but I want to learn these techniques they use in vfx or game studios. 

The idea was to make a sort of half human/robot head so I'll probably apply some metal tech to the head.
As a base mesh I used the retopo'ed C4D mesh of my head scan I made a while back and spent an evening reshaping that and get the right proportions.

WipRender.jpg

Nice work.  For my last project I used XYZ full face textures directly on the Uv template within Photoshop, I then imported my displacement map and combined the two, I use overlay for all maps.  Anyway, so far its the best detail iv had.  The XYZ comes with 3 types of details as you mentioned, I worked on all 3 at the same time, combined them on export along with displacement map.

Dan

38 minutes ago, Rectro said:

Nice work.  For my last project I used XYZ full face textures directly on the Uv template within Photoshop, I then imported my displacement map and combined the two, I think it was multiply, or overlap will have to check.  Anyway, so far its the best detail iv had.  The XYZ comes with 3 types of details as you mentioned, I worked on all 3 at the same time, combined them on export along with displacement map.

Dan

Right, XYZ is where I bought them too! I was seriously impressed by the results of those maps. On their site there where some tutorials with projection in Mari but I don't have that. I already combined the maps in photoshop. 

How did you create the detail forthe rest of the head, since the texture is only of the front of the face?  Was it Hand painted details Or did you extract parts of the image and create a tilable texture?

I purchased both the full head textures, and the Alphas.  There are 7 heads in that pack and could be used with any sculpting app, You could even use these as patches to lay down and clone in Photoshop, but I sculpt directly on the mesh with them in Zbrush.

https://texturing.xyz/products/alphaskinface-01

Dan

13 minutes ago, Rectro said:

I purchased both the full head textures, and the Alphas.  There are 7 heads in that pack and could be used with any sculpting app, You could even use these as patches to lay down and clone in Photoshop, but I sculpt directly on the mesh with them in Zbrush.

https://texturing.xyz/products/alphaskinface-01

Dan

Right, there goes another €25 haha

4 minutes ago, PrivatePolygon said:

Right, there goes another €25 haha

You can always make your own alphas from  the full face textures you have, depends how accurate you want them and if your character is going to be bald when its done.  The Alpha pack still only contains the same areas as the full face, only not all levels of detail are seperate.

Dan

20 hours ago, Rectro said:

You can always make your own alphas from  the full face textures you have, depends how accurate you want them and if your character is going to be bald when its done.  The Alpha pack still only contains the same areas as the full face, only not all levels of detail are seperate.

Dan

So basically if I extract an area from the combined texture and make it greyscale it functions as just a normal alpha right?

2 hours ago, PrivatePolygon said:

So basically if I extract an area from the combined texture and make it greyscale it functions as just a normal alpha right?

Basicly yes.  If you make your base layer as Dot Gain 20, Grey scale, 16 bit, and fill the background RGB 149,149,149.  Use the Circle selection with a feather according to the size your copying.  Copy a consistent area and paste it into that doc.  In Zbrush set the Mid value to 50 and use the Rectagle Drag and your sorted.

Dan 

12 minutes ago, DeCarlo said:

Here's my first animated film, which I finished earlier this year.  I needed a break from a longer project and threw this together in a couple weeks. I picked the simplest idea I could come up so that I could turn around a film in as short a time as possible.  Enjoy!

Tip of the week: maybe start an own thread instead of posting this in mine ;)