Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

carlk

"Reversibility", 50-second physics video

• Topic Author
  • Two years ago, I got help in the Xpresso forum here and learned how to reverse the direction of dynamic objects on a given frame. I just got around to finishing that video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2ye8JtNMFQ&list=PLyBBVRUm1CyScgmzqpLGiKqwM-BxaiCnE&index=1

I created this 50-second physics video (& poem) to demonstrate the Principle of Reversibility. The principle makes this claim: if you could reverse the direction of billiard balls, they would re-form a triangle and spit out the cue ball – indistinguishable from reversing time! This video puts that prediction to the test (via a C3D modeling & physics simulation).

In a Newtonian universe, what works for billiard balls works everything. So, if this works, it means our universe includes an UNDO button. [Best in HD]

- Carl

Great job, it came out really well. Think I would have used coloured Pool balls rather than glass balls. That way you can see them rotating rather than just sliding as they appear to do here.

Admin

Very interesting, glad to see stuff like this. Good job! :smile:

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Igor

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

Thanks all. The observation that the balls appear to slide is useful.

I did have one visual joke that I left out. I was going to have a picture of me holding a GoPro (just a 2-D cutout) behind the virtual camera. I thought it would be funny if my reflection "mistakenly" appeared in the glass balls. I tested it a bit, but the reflection was so small that the joke didn't work.

Now I'm thinking of making a stereoscopic VR version of the same video. Instead of VR 360 degrees (which seems really hard), I've been testing just doing 153 degrees. In a little test with Google Cardboard, this seemed to work pretty well and it seems to be about 100 times easier than stereo-360. Have others tried this?

- Carl