Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jwiede

C4D future info & development

Recommended Posts

I'd like to see that those same 2 or 3 people who hijack every thread about C4Ds development for the last 2 or 3 years to make fun of it could calm down a little.

 

I would also like to know more about the team and where they come from. Where can I find out more about this public knowledge?

 

So (with some wishful thinking) what my conclusion is when thinking about all the interesting stuff I read on the blog yesterday and in the forums since then.... the new core is already there (of course also still being worked on)... so now what MAXON is doing is transitioning all the existing stuff to the new core. So what that means is that everything that gets transitioned could be improved at the same time. That would be awesome :D Because it means that they'll have to look at everything anyway. And while doing this they can add a few things here and there ;) So when the UV tools get transitioned they can be improved at the same time. Same with many other things.

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, StefanR said:

I would also like to know more about the team and where they come from. Where can I find out more about this public knowledge?

You can find developer names in about window. Seems that quite a few are missing in there.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
10 hours ago, pgoski said:

 

I wish MAXON had stated this at R16, as it could have helped smooth things out...but now you know that features were light because MAXON was working on something bigger, when people on forums were demanding a focus on architecture, rather than new features, it was actually already happening.

Let's rewind to why the blog exists in the first place. On the release of R17 it was widely felt that it was one of the weakest releases of C4D ever and out of that discussion customers requested better/more communication from MAXON because customers felt that their requests for features and performance improvements had been ignored.

Fast forward to this week's blog entry where we find out the good news that rewriting of the C4D has been going on and indeed we have been using it for a whole release and a half although without seeing a shred of benefit in performance terms. So the core has been rewritten and delivered in R16 so it begs the obvious question why was R17 "Landmark Release" so light on features and performance improvements? The core had been delivered in R16 so what were MAXON waiting for? Wouldn't R17 have been the ideal opportunity to demonstrate what all the hard work and successive weak releases customers have put up with were for?

The "Landmark Release' moniker might've been a bit more applicable if MAXON had announced R17 with new core and new multithreaded completely rewritten and improved Xpresso so customers could start benefitting immediately, but no, we got the other R17 didn't we and now we've got a royal dose of good old fashioned vapourware in the form of vague promises of what's going to happen over 'several' more releases?

What will be the excuse when R18 is announced and is similarly light on features and doesn't address performance issues that all C4D users are well aware of?

I suspect I'll be taking what's said by MAXON representatives about the future of C4D with a pinch of salt for 'several' more years. No?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, StefanR said:

 

I would also like to know more about the team and where they come from. Where can I find out more about this public knowledge?

 

please be aware that not all devs, or all MAXON employees want to be publicly known. only a few actively participate on public forums and even then under a differnent name. im sorry but someone on the outside simply wont be able to have access to this infomation unless individuals decide to do so of their own free will. 

Share this post


Link to post

@Cutman

Now I understand the issue. The problem is that you are missing even fundamental knowledge about software development and matter at hand at all, so all that was written is misinterpreted or misunderstood by you due to that simple fact. What was stated in blog and by Rick, Kent, Patrick or even me should have been more than enough to explain and answer all your questions and concerns, however it seems that you either didn't take the effort to objectively go through posts, or you simply don't have the capacity to understand which is perfectly fine - happens to me a lot and often when talking to developers and it is normal.

 

In lame terms, what MAXON tried to say is something like :
"Dude, we resolved the core issues, have new architecture and we are on the roll, sit back and enjoy the next few releases, future is bright"

Does that clear up things a bit? :)

 

By the way , by saying "vapourware" you are implying that all of us who either work or freelance for MAXON are liars and that we are trying to do what? Deceive customers? I have nothing against heated discussion but come on, you really believe all of us would risk our careers and reputation, including the complete company? Let's not stretch this conversation into absurdity.

Announcement from MAXON CEO was perfectly clear and all subsequent explanations were more than suitable for all people her on Cafe (even cgtalk) and those who understood the matter are quite happy. Once again, I fully support your right to voice anything you want and express your concerns, disappointment , frustration or anything else for that matter, even though most of your conclusions are based on lack of understanding or misunderstanding of facts.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I purchased C4D 2-3 months ago. Also use MODO (not so much anymore) and Houdini (a lot). And Blender too :D But I really do enjoy working with C4D and Arnold.  Would like to see more developers interact here,  get used on that at Foundry forum, but what I read on blog and what hsrdelic said, makes me happy about my decision to go C4D road.  I really like C4D ease of use and stability.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
50 minutes ago, HSrdelic said:

@Cutman

Now I understand the issue. The problem is that you are missing even fundamental knowledge about software development and matter at hand at all, so all that was written is misinterpreted or misunderstood by you due to that simple fact. What was stated in blog and by Rick, Kent, Patrick or even me should have been more than enough to explain and answer all your questions and concerns, however it seems that you either didn't take the effort to objectively go through posts, or you simply don't have the capacity to understand which is perfectly fine - happens to me a lot and often when talking to developers and it is normal.

 

In lame terms, what MAXON tried to say is something like :
"Dude, we resolved the core issues, have new architecture and we are on the roll, sit back and enjoy the next few releases, future is bright"

Does that clear up things a bit? :)

 

By the way , by saying "vapourware" you are implying that all of us who either work or freelance for MAXON are liars and that we are trying to do what? Deceive customers? I have nothing against heated discussion but come on, you really believe all of us would risk our careers and reputation, including the complete company? Let's not stretch this conversation into absurdity.

Announcement from MAXON CEO was perfectly clear and all subsequent explanations were more than suitable for all people her on Cafe (even cgtalk) and those who understood the matter are quite happy. Once again, I fully support your right to voice anything you want and express your concerns, disappointment , frustration or anything else for that matter, even though most of your conclusions are based on lack of understanding or misunderstanding of facts.

 

 

 

@HSrdic

You are being consumed by your own codswallop. I'm sure this plays well to your handlers at MAXON HQ but it doesn't wash with me. Unfortunately you went down in my estimations when you claimed to know Autodesk and SideFX future development. Yes, I'm taking what you say with a huge pinch of salt.

MAXON clearly said the Core 'upgrade' was in place with R16 and we had already been using it. You have no reasonable narrative to explain why R17 was so light on features despite the Core being shipped in R16? If the future is so bright why didn't the future start with R17? A reasonable question, no?

The term 'vapourware' is universally understood but you decided to use the opportunity to feign ignorance of the term and build up a straw man attack and put words into my mouth. You are certainly trying to deceive other forum readers that my use of the term had nastier connotations than I intended. For the avoidance of doubt if you really are that ignorant of the term, vapourware is the mythical product that has yet to be shipped, it is nothing but hot air until the product is in the hands of customers. So the mythical new version of C4D that you wouldn't look at Autodesk or SideFX for is still very much in the realm of vapourware...until MAXON have the temerity to ship it that is...in or over the course of  'several' years time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Cutman said:

Unfortunately you went down in my estimations when you claimed to know Autodesk and SideFX future development. Yes, I'm taking what you say with a huge pinch of salt.

So I am liar? :)

 

1 hour ago, Cutman said:

codswallop

Using English native phrases which I can't really decipher shows how superficial you are in communication and thinking things through...

On my language you would be a typical "serator"

 

1 hour ago, Cutman said:

MAXON clearly said the Core 'upgrade' was in place with R16 and we had already been using it. You have no reasonable narrative to explain why R17 was so light on features despite the Core being shipped in R16? If the future is so bright why didn't the future start with R17? A reasonable question, no?

Yes! And it takes just a pinch of intelligence and objectivity to answer that one since the answer itself is in the question you ask. You can't "flip a switch", this leads to catastrophic repercussions such as instability, frequent crashes and freezes, broken tools etc. This is delicate and can't be done instantly. This is exactly what I am trying to convey to you when I say that you simply don't understand the process. When you are referring to R17 being thin, bear in mind that Takes, although to you they may not seem as a big deal are a in fact massive feature (mostly appreciated by pros and studios) and are not an afterthought. They are deeply integrated scene management tool. Spline tools also - seemingly simple but they are not.

 

1 hour ago, Cutman said:

vapourware is the mythical product that has yet to be shipped, it is nothing but hot air until the product is in the hands of customers

Again, shows that you simply don't understand :)
You already have parts of new Core in R16, it is already inside and existing. It is not vapourware if it is already present.

 

One more thing to understand is following. This is common knowledge, you can google it. When you are creating a software of this magnitude there are many stages of development. It is not a matter of writing a code and releasing it into wild. The simplest breakdown is that One (many) has to conceive, conceptualize, design, code and document the code, test, pass all stages from Prototype to RC, write documentation and help, bugfix and maintain with service packs etc. If that would be easy task then there would be hundreds of generalist 3D apps, where in fact there are just few. The scope of the job is unimaginable to people not acquainted with software development.

Now please forgive me, I will excuse myself from further communication with you on this matter, I would rather prefer other members voice themselves and express their opinions, questions, reactions, concerns etc. It is simply not fair to other members that we have this discussion on public topic anymore.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

It is simply not fair to other members that we have this discussion on public topic anymore.

Hear, Hear, I will second that.

Share this post


Link to post

If you can’t stand the heat you get out of the kitchen.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Latest Topics

Latest Comments

×
×
  • Create New...