Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jwiede

C4D future info & development

The whole notion that disclosing plans to customers is risky because it could somehow trigger ceding major competitive advantage for competing large-scale/complex app developers falls somewhere between absurdly naive and complete logistical folly.

Development of large, complex software applications simply does not occur in a way that generally:  Allows teams to massively revise their own development plans in response to hearing of a competitor's interest in something;  Allows teams to complete restart their integration and QA processes and schedules at a moment's notice to accommodate such development revisions; Nor allows teams to modify any of the myriad other non-sw-development product dev processes in a timely-enough manner for them to complete them before the source of the info -- for anything they weren't already in a position to achieve in the first place.

6 hours ago, 3DKiwi said:

R18 will be feature frozen right now apart from maybe a few minor tweaks. Beta testers will be starting to get their hands on the new R18 stuff as it rolls out over the next month or so. It then gets 3-4 months Beta testing and bug fixing before release date.

95% of what's coming in R19 will be all planned out and some coding will be being done for it right now.

Fair enough, R18 would be frozen to feature-level changes, agreed.  I disagree that R19 would be beyond significant feature adjustment if determined to be a priority need, though, and so the closing of that window would be a reasonable an example.

My main point stands, MAXON creating a blog was never the end goal.  The blog was simply a vehicle intended to help facilitate reaching that end goal, that it wasn't even achieving that purpose raises questions about MAXON's commitment to reaching that end goal.

10 hours ago, jwiede said:

The whole notion that disclosing plans to customers is risky because it could somehow trigger ceding major competitive advantage for competing large-scale/complex app developers falls somewhere between absurdly naive and complete logistical folly.

Development of large, complex software applications simply does not occur in a way that generally:  Allows teams to massively revise their own development plans in response to hearing of a competitor's interest in something;  Allows teams to complete restart their integration and QA processes and schedules at a moment's notice to accommodate such development revisions; Nor allows teams to modify any of the myriad other non-sw-development product dev processes in a timely-enough manner for them to complete them before the source of the info -- for anything they weren't already in a position to achieve in the first place.

Spot on jweide.

MAXON announcing sculpting tools or the rebirth of Bodypaint is not going to cause a seismic shift in the VFX industry because MAXON will never be competing with ZBrush and Mari, the people who would be really interested inhering of serious developments would be long suffering C4D users who've all but given up hope of Bodypaint being brought up to date and made usable by contemporary standards.

If MAXON really did have a crack team of developers hidden away working on C4DX a completely reimagined application that has been written from the ground up with modern code and modern hardware in mind and it will address all the concerns about object handling, be completely multi threaded and have a high performance nodal programming environment like Houdini as a replacement for XPresso. There's nothing to stop them saying to their customers, yep we're working on object handling issues etc with a view to giving the user a step change in performance without giving the game away they're working on a completely ground up version of C4D. It's not happening BTW I was just using a bit of fantasy to illustrate a point.

With the huge development times it's looking like it's going to be many years before the key performance issues are going to be addressed which leaves users wondering if anything is happening at all......which is why users want more and better communication!!!!!!

On January 14, 2016 at 1:27 AM, caliburn said:

What i think is happening is that you need to look more at who the people are and what they DO in the company before

getting worked up in this blog, i mean the CEO isnt going to say "yeah were going to have realtime gpu rendering next version - look out for it guys!" he is mainly responsible for the company direction as a whole and delegates all the other stuff downwards.

so i expect there to be quite a few more people start to post on the blog and talk about things that are relevant to what they do/are working on.

A month later, no further posts, and your expectations are looking less and less likely.

Perhaps MAXON can blog about why they're not blogging?

I liked the potential subscription announcement, though that may not be of much use to many others.

The blog seemed so cool when Rick B. indicated that we'd be hearing from different voices around the world, and when MAXON said around Christmas that they had lots of cool plans for it.  I want that version of the blog.  This current version makes me wonder why they spent so many months setting it up if all they really wanted to do was ignore it.

On 14/02/2016 at 0:44 AM, jwiede said:

A month later, no further posts, and your expectations are looking less and less likely.

yep its looking that way :/ talk about missed opportunies........

i mean even if they had no idea what to put in the blog,could just look at competitors efforts,its not rocket science....

Anybody feel like revising their earlier pessimistic judgements?

http://www.MAXON.net/en/news/MAXON-blog/blog-singleview/article/foundations-for-the-future.html

Core rewrites.  CONFIRMED!!!  

The only argument left is time between posts, to which I answer: Your expectations are too high! This isn't your facebook feed!

Every month a post.  Every post relevant and informative.  Thank you MAXON for following through!

-kvb

"Transitioning Cinema 4D fully to the new core will still take several more releases."

I admire the candour but that's the last straw, I'm out.

In several years time I'm gong to be competent in Houdini and the core rewrite won't be remotely relevant.

4 minutes ago, Cutman said:

"Transitioning Cinema 4D fully to the new core will still take several more releases."

I admire the candour but that's the last straw, I'm out.

In several years time I'm gong to be competent in Houdini and the core rewrite won't be remotely relevant.

something I worry about as well.