Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jwiede

C4D future info & development

Monthly posts do seem to be the schedule.  With this now apparently it'll help view the blog in a different light - though I still feel they could benefit from a more informative feed.  The core rewrite is good news.

54 minutes ago, Cutman said:

In several years time I'm gong to be competent in Houdini and the core rewrite won't be remotely relevant.

Hehe you would be surprised :)

Folks, what you might not understand and is not showing up yet in C4D is the fact you are already using a lot of new, top end modern technology which, due to remaining work ahead is not showing it's power in full, but it will.

One thing that I can guarantee you is that given all my experience, knowledge and insight,  I certainly won't look into Maya, Houdini, Modo or anything else for that matter ;)

10 minutes ago, HSrdelic said:

Folks, what you might not understand and is not showing up yet in C4D is the fact you are already using a lot of new, top end modern technology which, due to remaining work ahead is not showing it's power in full, but it will.

One thing that I can guarantee you is that given all my experience, knowledge and insight,  I certainly won't look into Maya, Houdini, Modo or anything else for that matter ;)

That is very encouraging!! But, what was wrong with saying all this before?

And you don't want to mess around with Maya.. it is the beast in CA remember!!

Here is quote from blog which is very important

"A rich foundation of groundbreaking fundamental technologies have been created, including a highly-efficient threading system for massive data-parallelism and new optimized data structures, to name just a few. We are using the latest state of the art algorithms, compilers, tools and technologies to build the foundation that will drive Cinema 4D's progress and innovation for the next decade."

@RLaskey

I don't make decisions on what is revealed, but can reiterate already stated in more friendly, forum like fashion.

All in all, This is a big step forward in communication from MAXON.

@Cutman

MAXON knows how to do things, quality takes time. Look at it this way - You would rather want luxury German than Prius ;)

3 minutes ago, HSrdelic said:

I don't make decisions on what is revealed, but can reiterate already stated in more friendly, forum like fashion.

All in all, This is a big step forward in communication from MAXON.

Understood and agreed.

29 minutes ago, HSrdelic said:

@Cutman

MAXON knows how to do things, quality takes time. Look at it this way - You would rather want luxury German than Prius ;)

I drive a VW and we all learnt what a highly regarded German brand will get up to behind closed doors.

As far as I'm concerned if the new core has been around since R16 none of us were aware because none of us received any performance increase whatsoever. You are privy to what's going on in MAXON but you are not privy to what is happening at Autodesk or SideFX and their current technology is streets ahead in many areas and who's to say when C4D is finally brought up to date the competitors won't be even further down the road. The pace of development of SideFX is impressiveand I simply do not believe MAXON has the developers that will bring Houdini level features to the table. I suspect that C4D will end up with a much better core than it currently has but nowhere near the feature set of Houdini and will rely upon 3rd party plugin developers. 

I'm not going to wait around for several more years to find out the promise of great performance turns out be be a VW emissions test. I'm grateful for the blog post because I'm no longer in a position to wonder if the next version of C4D will improve the viewport performance or a replacement for Xpresso is on the way, I now know it's still several years away.

I wish you well but I'm done waiting for Godot.

How ironic. The very same information that has me now twitching with expectation for the next version has made Cutman walk.

7 minutes ago, Cutman said:

but you are not privy to what is happening at Autodesk or SideFX and their current technology is streets ahead in many areas

You couldn't be more wrong here. I do have a personal insight in current (and future) technological state of both.

10 minutes ago, Cutman said:

I simply do not believe MAXON has the developers that will bring Houdini level features to the table

Really?  Hm, why would you think that? I am just curious.?

btw I drive VW too. Emission? All politics to pressure big German car manufacturer since their competition can't really compete with VW anymore.

16 minutes ago, Cutman said:

As far as I'm concerned if the new core has been around since R16 none of us were aware because none of us received any performance increase whatsoever.

Hi Cutman,

You're certainly welcome to your opinion and your choice. I just want to clarify a couple of things because your comments might lead to others' misunderstanding.

As the blog says, Cinema 4D has run on top of the new core since R16. In order to see performance increases from the new core, existing functionality has to be wired in, bypassing the earlier Cinema 4D architecture. This has actually happened in a number of places - I don't have a list handy, but I know that we saw speedups in some render calculations like caustics early on because they were rewired to the new core. Why caustics? It was a relatively disconnected area where the concept could be tested easily without affecting other things. A more recent example is the relative pathing and token functionality in R17, which uses improved filename handling from the new core.

It's this tactic that allows MAXON to continue to deliver meaningful features as we transition Cinema 4D fully to the new core. As the blog says it'll be several releases before that transition is complete, and the main performance increases will of course come towards the end with object handling. But each release in the meantime (just as the past few) will include new features as well as continue the transition. Cinema 4D will not sit idle during this transition, but will continue to improve in both feature set and performance with each release.