Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jwiede

C4D future info & development

Good news about that core rewrite... too bad it's still going to take some time :D But good to know that this is what's happening and using up developers' time. I also hope the additional manpower can push "normal" feature development a little more.

Just now, StefanR said:

. I also hope the additional manpower can push "normal" feature development a little more.

Of course :)

55 minutes ago, HSrdelic said:

hm..really? :)

So, let me just sum things up which happened in last few months. MAXON was bashed for R17, then bashed for not communicating at all, then bashed all over again for not saying anything about future and so on. As a result, company changes policy, start communicating more, employees start being more frequent on forums, and CEO even reveals that senior devs have been working on high end core architecture for years with hints of future release features in blog post from CEO, which is the best possible piece of information one could hope for.

Must say that I am quite confused. Isn't this what people wanted?

@Mauricio

Thanks!

We do appreciate the information....but you have to consider how that information is being received within the context of past releases.  Honestly, people have been waiting for major improvements since R9 (starting with Bodypaint).  Now I am not sure when the new core started development, but now that it is completed we are told "several more releases" until we can see the full benefit of that core.  That at least takes us up to R20 or longer.  That is a whole decade of waiting....a decade.  One-fourth to one-fifth of the  entire life-span of the DCC industry!

And what is scary is that your competition is not standing still.  So by the time you do get to R20, then you will be still be behind.  So what I would like to hear about is how this new core positions you to be competitive for the next decade....or how MAXON is making staffing decisions for you to be competitive for the next decade.  Now what is NOT working in your favor is the pricing.  When you are paying close to the same for Houdini, Max and Maya, you expect progress at the same rate as those applications.   It is that simple.  Also, remember that it takes more than just C4D to get the same results --- you need X-Particles, TFD, Cactus Dan's tools, Allegoritmic, etc.  That pretty much puts you on price parity with your competitors.  So with that said, we expect MAXON to be growing development staff to the same levels as your competitors and with that staffing a much more accelerated level of development than what you have stated so far.

I don't think our expectations are unfair as you are alluding too by your confusion.  As a MAXON employee you are failing to have empathy for your users relative to what they are paying and what they are receiving in comparison to the competition.

I will say it again though....I love the program...but something has to give in the next few years for that love to remain.

Dave

41 minutes ago, HSrdelic said:

If you step back and look at few releases you will see that when MAXON does things it does them "right". I can take simple examples such as Bevel tool (So anyone can relate) and you can see how good those are. Here MAXON didn't just opt to improve with what can also be described as bug fix, but really intended to do the best bevel possible. Same principle applies elsewhere, so new Core is not just a slight improvement, rather the best, state of the art that it can be development.

Actually not really, you forgot that TRS and the new reflectance channel UI seem to be hastily developed and didn't get much love among C4D users.  A lot consider those two as a step back.  You have to admit it could be much better here.

Guest Weezer
8 hours ago, 3DKiwi said:

Okay, so you poor bastards still using C4D have to wait several more release cycles to really get the benefit of the new core. Looks like I was right to jump ship when I did. I can't wait around forever for MAXON to get their act together and make C4D perform as it should.

So my prediction for R18 is it will be another yawn release like R17 was. No doubt there will be one stand out new feature or enhanced feature that will be really well done but stuff like UV editing or a Material node system will still be lacking. And from MAXON's point of view, why rush things? They will have hooked a lot of people into staying with C4D for the next few releases and can sell them a MSA every year and keep the money coming in.

Fun times ahead.

I appreciate all the hard work you did while you were a C4D user Nigel, but this kind of snippy, holier-than-thou, schadenfreude-loving response is beneath  you. (Also, having owned and loathed the bug-fest that was Modo, you're welcome to it - so this 'poor bastard' will see where the C4D train takes me, thanks.)

19 hours ago, HSrdelic said:

One thing that I can guarantee you is that given all my experience, knowledge and insight,  I certainly won't look into Maya, Houdini, Modo or anything else for that matter ;)

I'm sure you don't want to suggest that MAXON is the only contender that has cool technology at hands. I'm very happy in the The Foundry Universe. And I have to thank MAXON to have steered me there. I have not given up on C4D at all. But, isn't that cool?

cheers

celke

What I can tell you is that currently there are people in MAXON for which other companies would kill for.

Well they've got 3 of them so far. The following key programmers have all been snapped up by other companies:

Alexander Stompel - the render engine / material system guy.

David O'Reilley - now doing X-Particles. Did rigging tools and lots of other cool stuff in C4D.

Kent Barber - the guy that did all of the sculpting tools

51 minutes ago, 3DKiwi said:

Well they've got 3 of them so far. The following key programmers have all been snapped up by other companies:

David O'Reilley - now doing X-Particles. Did rigging tools and lots of other cool stuff in C4D.

I think the guy behind the hair tool also but as Harald said in the blog they also hired a bunch of people. Sure it's not enough to hire, I suppose it takes time for a new developper to dig into the code of his predecessor.

I remember dialog from somebody(MAXON or other developers) at cgtalk that MAXON are not working at core rewriting.

Only one thing i understand if they want to involve in cg work at PIXAR's USD(new format of scene), i think they will rewrite several core mechanisms.

or simply will make "reflection" algorithm to usd-system, without full forces of MAXON.

41 minutes ago, 3DKiwi said:

Nigel,

To be fair, "nobody" really "got" those three....so "Well they've got three of them so far" gives the impression that they were snatched up by the competition.  In reality, nothing could be farther from the truth.  Here is where they all ended up:

1. Kent went on to start Game Logic Design (GLD) in 2010.  Based on the LinkedIn information, it is still a 1 person company.  As it is based in Auckland, NZ you may no more but their web-site is really basic (no more than a splash screen).  There is nothing else listed on him on LinkedIn...that does not mean he is NOT working on anything else, but so far I cannot find anything other than GLD against his name.
  2. Alexander Stompel was always a freelancer at MAXON...or so he indicates on his resume .  The very nature of freelancer work is that you will be working for others...in fact, per his resume, he still indicates that he freelances for Pangolin while working at Microsoft (HoloLens), his current job.  HoloLens is a 3D virtual interface or holographic computer...and as such, completely outside of MAXON's market.  
  3. David O'Reilley ---- not sure what happened to him!  ;-)  Actually, David is the only one still working in the same market as C4D...but to C4D's benefit with the awesome X-Particles plugin.

So at first read, your post gives the impression that the developers who made big impacts to C4D development were now working for The Foundry or Autodesk.  Fortunately, that is not the case.

Dave