Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jwiede

C4D future info & development

9 minutes ago, DPangel said:

Kent went on to start Game Logic Design (GLD) in 2010.  Based on the LinkedIn information, it is still a 1 person company.  As it is based in Auckland, NZ you may no more but their web-site is really basic (no more than a splash screen).  There is nothing else listed on him on LinkedIn...that does not mean he is NOT working on anything else, but so far I cannot find anything other than GLD against his name.

Dave

He is working at authoring tool for c4d, look at

It's very weird to see how people are so quick to blame the "community" as a whole.

Most of us were very grateful for the blog post, the way I see it the only concerns left are:
- The blog post is still not saying that much. Does "massive data-parallelism" include hardware acceleration? Will the SDK be deprecated again before core is complete? Don't get me wrong the blog post is really great but, personally, HSrdelic's and RBarrett's post on this thread is the kind of stuff I want to read:

20 hours ago, RBarrett said:

This has actually happened in a number of places - I don't have a list handy, but I know that we saw speedups in some render calculations like caustics early on because they were rewired to the new core. Why caustics? It was a relatively disconnected area where the concept could be tested easily without affecting other things.

- Most members think several years before complete transition is too long (the whole stability vs speed of improvement tread-off). I personally prefer the After Effects approach were they asked the users on the official blog what they though of spending a whole year on increasing speed and nothing else, got good feedback, so they did and overhauled the entire architecture. Now we have a broken preview in CC2015 but you can still use CC2014 if you need stability over speed for certain projects. I know a lot of people hate it but even if I curse a lot when using CC2015 I like the fact that I know what happened behind the scenes, that I was prepared for it and that the choice is left to me.

Am I missing anything?

Also it's important to note that a lot of C4D users asked and waited for this specific kind of statement for a very long time. And some of us are still pissed off about the waiting. And it's understandable, there is a lot at stake for freelancers and small companies in the choice of software licenses.

And I don't think it's fair to compare C4D and Houdini: You wouldn't want to do a quick motion graphics gig on Houdini the same way you wouldn't want to do a complex fluid simulation with Thinking Particles. Different tools for different jobs.

1 hour ago, DPangel said:

Nigel,

To be fair, "nobody" really "got" those three....so "Well they've got three of them so far" gives the impression that they were snatched up by the competition.  In reality, nothing could be farther from the truth.  Here is where they all ended up:

1. Kent went on to start Game Logic Design (GLD) in 2010.  Based on the LinkedIn information, it is still a 1 person company.  As it is based in Auckland, NZ you may no more but their web-site is really basic (no more than a splash screen).  There is nothing else listed on him on LinkedIn...that does not mean he is NOT working on anything else, but so far I cannot find anything other than GLD against his name.
  2. Alexander Stompel was always a freelancer at MAXON...or so he indicates on his resume .  The very nature of freelancer work is that you will be working for others...in fact, per his resume, he still indicates that he freelances for Pangolin while working at Microsoft (HoloLens), his current job.  HoloLens is a 3D virtual interface or holographic computer...and as such, completely outside of MAXON's market.  
  3. David O'Reilley ---- not sure what happened to him!  ;-)  Actually, David is the only one still working in the same market as C4D...but to C4D's benefit with the awesome X-Particles plugin.

So at first read, your post gives the impression that the developers who made big impacts to C4D development were now working for The Foundry or Autodesk.  Fortunately, that is not the case.

Dave

Spoiler

Actually, the truth is that some developers that used to work on 3DSMax, Softimage, Maya, Motion builder, Game authoring tools etc. are now in MAXON. This is public knowledge so it is surprising to see that nobody posted that?

3 developers that left certainly don't represent some sort of a "blow" to company. All 3 very nice and fun guys :)

In fact, I think that in this times were people frequently move from one job to another in short time span, it is quite rare to see almost all initial developers being still there after all this years.

47 minutes ago, HSrdelic said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Actually, the truth is that some developers that used to work on 3DSMax, Softimage, Maya, Motion builder, Game authoring tools etc. are now in MAXON. This is public knowledge so it is surprising to see that nobody posted that?

3 developers that left certainly don't represent some sort of a "blow" to company. All 3 very nice and fun guys :)

In fact, I think that in this times were people frequently move from one job to another in short time span, it is quite rare to see almost all initial developers being still there after all this years.

I'm starting to feel that with Hair and S&T is something wrong. And physical render with these modules. I mean who currently maintain them, is doing something wrong... they do not look solid products(crashes, a few features are not work, as i remmeber S&T has modes as simple or full levels for workflow, why need to remove them... from 16 or even 15 versions). So leaving of Alexander and David were faults of MAXON management - my imho.

@ilayspire

All aspects of Cinema you mention never had less bugs, less crashes and less problems :)
I can guarantee you that from first hand. If you are experiencing something that you can reproduce please file a bugreport.

Thought I would chime in here since I see my name popping up.

So to get things into perspective a bit, only 3 developers left in the past 7 years. Out of the past 25 years maybe a total of 5 developers moved on. The core team who first brought C4D into existence are still there. And they are some of the most talented developers I have ever had the privilege of working with. If you have been checking the job postings on MAXON.net  you would have seen many developer jobs advertised and filled. Including a brand new office in Canada, picking up a lot of other extremely talented devs who other companies foolishly made redundant (their loss Maxons gain).

I am really happy to see that MAXON has announced the new core being developed. And the fact that it has been in C4D since R16 and no one noticed (i.e. its stable and not crashing all the time) is a testament to their dev and planning skills. The new threading has been talked about and this has already made it into various parts of C4D already. Previous announcements were made regarding speed ups for rendering, deformers and many other parts. You may not have noticed a massive speed boost since C4D is huge and you can do so much. But you might have noticed certain things feel smoother to use.  Maybe that deformer now updates in 1 second instead of 2.  Multiply that through your scenes and animations and you start to see a difference.  As each release comes out you will start to see more parts working faster and smoother.

The core is the foundation on what the entire application is built upon. This is not something simple that can be thrown together over 1 year. This takes very careful planning and even more careful integration and testing. And as said, its in there! From now on you will start to see more new and exciting features and speed improvements. 

These guys and gals are doing an extremely impressive job here. This is not a new app. You are getting (or will get ) all the benefits of the new core without interrupting your workflow. You won't have to change to use a different app, C5D? Instead the devs have been swapping out the old for the new right under your nose, and have been doing so for the past 3 years without anyone noticing. And each following release is only going to get better. 

MAXON has made the announcement but people will still want more (more blog posts, faster this, feature X). But I think they are doing a great job. They are posting updates to the blog, they are working on "faster this", which threading is the backbone for, and this will  lead onto features XYZ. They have a bigger dev team now, lots of great people working in QA, Support (and SDK Support) and Product Management. 

I myself am now on the MSA train and am happily going to pay to get R18. Get excited people. This is good news!

52 minutes ago, rmercier said:

It's very weird to see how people are so quick to blame the "community" as a whole.

Poor Patrick seems to have taken my comment a little too personally. I hope his fawning Twitter followers were able to massage his bent ego back into shape?

He says 'community' what he meant to say was 'customers'. I am a customer and I have paid many thousands of pounds of my money for the right to air my opinion. Tuff sh** if you don't like it Patrick.

5 minutes ago, HSrdelic said:

@ilayspire

All aspects of Cinema you mention never had less bugs, less crashes and less problems :)
I can guarantee you that from first hand. If you are experiencing something that you can reproduce please file a bugreport.

thanks. Yes any bug is feature :lol:

7 minutes ago, kbar said:

Thought I would chime in here since I see my name popping up.

Hello Kent

You made wonderful solutions at both sides: for users(who has not zbrush and etc.) and developer side(wonderful pyapi, capi examples)

1 minute ago, ilayspire said:

Hello Kent

You made wonderful solutions at both sides: for users(who has not zbrush and etc.) and developer side(wonderful pyapi, capi examples)

Thanks mate. Just so you know, I have full confidence in the guys I handed it all over to as well. I myself am excited to see what new tools they add to R18.