Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Krazee

Photomanipulation, Opinions please

• Topic Author
  • So I'm working on this new photo manipulation and some feed back/opinions on it would be really appreciated, thank you. I couldn't upload the image so here's a link to it https://gyazo.com/74eb5baef8909d44437ba69da331a3c4

Nice work @Krazee- I think the main thing that jumps out to me is the lighting.  It looks as if you started cutting your assets together and left it at that, without factoring in the fore and back ground lighting.  Your grass/land area should fall back into perspective, fading in color and saturation as it meets the sky.  Even with your theme of the cliff, if could use better persecutive blending.  You also have these huge god lights coming from the background that aren't doing anything to the foreground and that's just not real life!  All of that light would bounce around off all your objects.  Use some photoshop lights, or gradients to emphasize your light and dark areas.

That'll get you a bit further.  Take a step back from your design and look at it with fresh eyes.  Ask yourself, "is that the way the sun would bounce off that tree, or that girl, or that part of the ground in real life?  If not, fix it :)

Good luck!

• Topic Author
  • 13 hours ago, haam said:

Nice work @Krazee- I think the main thing that jumps out to me is the lighting.  It looks as if you started cutting your assets together and left it at that, without factoring in the fore and back ground lighting.  Your grass/land area should fall back into perspective, fading in color and saturation as it meets the sky.  Even with your theme of the cliff, if could use better persecutive blending.  You also have these huge god lights coming from the background that aren't doing anything to the foreground and that's just not real life!  All of that light would bounce around off all your objects.  Use some photoshop lights, or gradients to emphasize your light and dark areas.

That'll get you a bit further.  Take a step back from your design and look at it with fresh eyes.  Ask yourself, "is that the way the sun would bounce off that tree, or that girl, or that part of the ground in real life?  If not, fix it :)

Good luck!

Thank you for the feedback it really helps a lot, not sure why but I always seem to somewhat struggle with getting the lighting right.  I'll go back to it sometime today and make a few fixes :)   

levels/Color needs a bit of love too I think. Those Ravens (crows) are black, and should have 100% black areas if the dark areas in the FG do. Make sure you go through the levels on everything and match them up better. Also put some more thought into the varying levels of color in the different objects. The tree and the ravens have a green cast to them, the BG has a blue cast to it, and the foreground seems to have a purple color to it. You'll want to match those up as best you can to sell this image.

Gotta get in there and break up that soft transition between the cloudy BG and the FG. 

Great start though, I think it's gonna look really cool.

19 hours ago, Rafael said:

levels/Color needs a bit of love too I think. Those Ravens (crows) are black, and should have 100% black areas if the dark areas in the FG do. Make sure you go through the levels on everything and match them up better. Also put some more thought into the varying levels of color in the different objects. The tree and the ravens have a green cast to them, the BG has a blue cast to it, and the foreground seems to have a purple color to it. You'll want to match those up as best you can to sell this image.

Great direction! Making sure colors are correct as they go back into the scene will go a long way to making it look more realistic.

@Krazee look for some landscape illustration/painting tutorials, there are rules that you can follow such as, things in foreground are warm and background are cool, things fade as they get farther away.  Color theories like–when things get darker their colors also become more saturated–will also help you in getting a great final image.

Agree with haam. Also! You may find it easier to match up the levels of the various "objects", by viewing your image in greyscale. Taking the color aspect out of it can help immensely. 

Guest darby

Instead of working in grayscale you might find it more helpful to work channel by channel. View the red channel while you adjust the red levels, view the green channel as you adjust the green levels, etc.

13 hours ago, darby said:

Instead of working in grayscale you might find it more helpful to work channel by channel. View the red channel while you adjust the red levels, view the green channel as you adjust the green levels, etc.

Was totally coming back to mention that! Much easier to match up value than color by eye. Also might not hurt to move things around a bit since the right side of the frame is a bit empty. Just something to balance it maybe? I don't know. Your call Krazee!

• Topic Author
  • @haam @Rafael Thank you guys for the tips and advice, I really appreciate it. I haven't had any time to go back to this due to college but I've had the day off today so have went back and made quite a few drastic changes, I've decided to go for a slightly different style and have hopefully fixed the majority of small mistakes mentioned. Haven't been able to put as much time as I'd like into it so it may still be in the works. 

Here's where it's at now : https://gyazo.com/371c1066bcac6ef952eaa165a1796989