Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bpotstra

Rendering feedback, please

• Topic Author
  • Hi all, I've been working on rendering a product I designed, and trying out many different materials and render settings.

Please have a look at my attached rendering and let me know if anything stands out or what can be improved. 

I'm really new to this, so please any feedback would be most appreciated, thanks!!

pulse-3-knobs-dof.png

Looks good to me, only thing I'd point out is it looks too perfect some slight wear/inperfections would go along way to making it look more realistic 

Yeah there's not much wrong with that... Are the buttons really that smooth and textureless ?

I like factory-direct renderings, but Vector is right about wear & tear adding realism, even if it's really subtle.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks @Vector and @cerbera! Good point about some wear and tear... my only question is would I do that in C4D? Or post w/ Photoshop?

I only ask because this render (800x600) already took 9.5 hours on a current and top of the line MacBook Pro. I suppose this is normal though? Or am I doing it wrong?

Again, thanks for the replies and thanks for the compliments as well.

Good god  man !:ohmy: 9/5 hours for an 800 x 600 ??! I'd have a look at some render optimisation  while you're adding W&T in photoshop !!

What were your render settings, just out of interest ?

2 hours ago, bpotstra said:

Thanks @Vector and @cerbera! Good point about some wear and tear... my only question is would I do that in C4D? Or post w/ Photoshop?

I only ask because this render (800x600) already took 9.5 hours on a current and top of the line MacBook Pro. I suppose this is normal though? Or am I doing it wrong?

Again, thanks for the replies and thanks for the compliments as well.

You could add it in post or in c4d even a little subtle noise to give the surface a little variation as @cerbera pointed out it depends what look your going for, if it's brand spanking new straight from the factory kind of product render you're after I think you achieved that, as for the render time nearly 10 hours seems like a pretty long time for what I'm seeing, especially at that resolution I think you could definitely optimise that a bit btw are you adding that dof in post ? That's longer than it takes me to render a full HD character turntable with all the goodies like gi AO and area shadows, subsurface scattering ect

• Topic Author
  • Is there a way to easily share my render settings?

PLEASE - If I can optimize the settings that would be amazing... please help!

Save an empty scene file with the render settings as part of it, if you don't just want to share the file itself.

One thing you could do to save time would be Zblur in post. 

• Topic Author
  • Thanks @grain I've saved a blank scene with the render settings, but for some reason, it says I can only attach files to this post that are Max total size 0.01MB ... not sure how to get around that :/

Wow, that is small. Sounds like a website bug maybe

Guest dataflow

try lowering your "Ray Depth" and "Shadow Depth" to about 5 or until you dont see any difference in quality.

in the render settings "Options"