PBR Renderer
PBR Renderer
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blatman

UVW and Normals pass aliasing

7 posts in this topic

Hello all !

I have a little project in Cinema4D, let's say a simple cube with a camera and on each sides of the cube there is a picture.

If I generate the render inside C4D, it looks perfect. If I try to export multipasses with UV pass, object buffer.... and try to composite the scene Inside After Effects using UV pass to replace pictures on the cube, I have aliased edges and the result is ugly :(. I know that it is because C4D does anti-aliasing during the render and the UV pass cannot be antialiased, but my question is : How I can use UV pass to composite the scene in AE and have a similar result that I have in C4D (with anti-aliasing) ?

I found a trick in a videocopilot video but I think it is not the best solution : the guy is rendering the scene twice (4K), or more (8K....), the resolution he wants, then, composites the scene in AE and at the end he downsizes the composition with bilinear resize or something similar to reach the HD resolution with "anti-aliasing". It works, but the bad thing about this solution is the rendering time.... could be very slow with 8K scene... !

Is there a way in C4D to generate (easily) an upsampled UV pass (the same for normals...) ? Or is there a trick that I missed ?

Here is my scene sample rendered in C4D :

c4d.png

And the same one composited in After Effects using the UV pass :

afx.png

Thank you for your help !!!

I believe the Re:map UV mip-mapping settings have some options that allow you to set thresholds and soften the transition in these areas.

Thank you for your reply. In my tests, Re:map can improve a little the render but can't fix it correctly :(

Apologies, reading over your problem again has made it clearer for me.

You can render a UV pass using a material in a main render pass, which will allow it to be anti-aliased.

The material will need a black to red linear U gradient added to a black to green linear V gradient using either the layer or fusion shader. I recommend putting this shader in the luminance channel.

If you have R17 then you can create a UV take and override the materials in the texture tags of your objects. If you have an earlier version then it's a bit more of a pain to manage, I would usually duplicate the scene file and replace the materials.

Thank you for your reply darby, I will try your solution ! Have a nice day :)

I just did the UV material override trick - still aliased as hell. Oh well...

Export your Multi-Passes using Physical, because for some reason it anti-aliases the Material UVW channel correctly.