Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest storrence

Can a line be created to follow an object?

Guest storrence
  • Topic Author
  • I have an object following a helix and would like to show it's path like a line coming from behind. Not it's path in front of it but the path it leaves as it makes it's motions. Like a smoke trail but with a line that doesn't go away. Is there a way to do that in c4d?

Tracer, my friend...

Or you can sweep the helix and animate the start and end positions of the sweep. You've got your spline (helix) already and you'll have to sweep the tracer anyway, may as well do it without extra objects.

Guest storrence
  • Topic Author
  • I think the problem with sweeping the helix is my starting and ending radius are the same and I vary them over time with keyframes. I will try tracer! Thanks.

You can shape a sweep with the details tab

Guest storrence
  • Topic Author
  • The details tab is where? I checked the object and the helix but am not finding any detail tab. First time user obviously :)

I found this in the help about sweep but it doesn't say much on how to access it.

Sweep Object

The Sweep object requires two or three splines. The first spline, the contour spline, defines the cross section and is swept along the second spline, the path, to create the object. The optional third spline Rail Spline can be used to modify the scale of the contour spline over the object’s length. Alternatively, the function graphs can be used, with which all pertinent Rail Spline functions can be adjusted.

The contour spline should lie on the local XY plane.

You can use splines with multiple segments, e.g., you can sweep an entire word along the path.

Guest storrence
  • Topic Author
  • I figured this out a few days ago and want to show what I came up with. Only estimated 82 hours and 40 minutes left :-) I need a render farm!

Hi,

You need to increase the intermediate points:setting_helix.jpg

Guest storrence
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks. I didn't see that option because I have it set to adaptive. What should I set it to? Natural or uniform? Will increasing the intermediate points increase render time a lot?

I would use natural. It could increase your render. You need to experiment.

Guest storrence
  • Topic Author
  • I set it to as high as 300 but don't see any change but do see it getting a lot slower. I think if I go higher, the render will take months. 

settings.png