Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rectro

C4D / Vray Pipeline for Character design

• Topic Author
  • Another Vray4C4D skin shader test.  Getting to grips with the Vray Skin shader.  This is a model I purchased many years ago called MIKI 2, she was a good model to do another test on.  All of this should help get me up and running with my own future works.  I had to re work maps, sculpted details, added C4D hair brows, and peach fuzz.

Full size image link full size

e0wMBY1.jpg

Dan

• Topic Author
  • Started working back on Hair, and Skin in Vray, this time working with Alsurface.   She is a low polygon mesh I made a while ago and have been adapting her.  This is a W.I.P and rendered the full body in 25min, this is a cropped version.

CHEI3wD.png

Slight different Hue

ujEOq0U.png

Great image. I wish I could reach this quality already. I'm still struggling with Vray 3.4 and the new features. Seems that you are far ahead here, especially regarding skin.

Really great work Rectro. I'm especially admiring the eyes because I'm struggling at the moment on creating eyes for an old sculpture I'm bringing back to life. Did you create seperate objects for the cornea, sclera, iris and such?

• Topic Author
  • 52 minutes ago, Visionnext said:

Great image. I wish I could reach this quality already. I'm still struggling with Vray 3.4 and the new features. Seems that you are far ahead here, especially regarding skin.

Thanks, appreciate your comments. Because Im working on a likeness, this set up is to give me fast visual feedback, the texture map is hand painted, the final map will have more detail in it. The SSS is using one hand painted diffuse  colour map, the ALsurface is doing the rest.  Very important is the skin detail, and getting the Reflection amount, and roughness right with the maps.  Iv got a kind of formula that seems to work with using the right values, il post my findings. (see image below, may need to click see full size a few times)  The secondary Refection has a IOR at 0 so it shows directly at the front of face, the Primary IOR is 1.7 pushing the reflection with a gloss of 0.5 to outer edge.  Both Reflections use same amount map, only the Primary has its exposure at 2.

Dan

48 minutes ago, PrivatePolygon said:

Really great work Rectro. I'm especially admiring the eyes because I'm struggling at the moment on creating eyes for an old sculpture I'm bringing back to life. Did you create seperate objects for the cornea, sclera, iris and such?

Thanks, glad you like it so far.  The eyes are two shells.  Inner shell which has the flat diffuse colour map.  The material is using a blend of diffuse and SSS from the Advanced Vray Material.  Outer Shell is reflection, and refraction.  Just one key Area light, no Gi, and one Rim light.

apZACuu.jpg

cSwfmMF.jpg

Dan

• Topic Author
  • GI

tpQzsHm.jpg

Dan

Nice GI image. Love the eyes with the reflection. Not so sure about the texture structure on the nose tip, but as I understood this is only a test texture for the skin shader.

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, Visionnext said:

Nice GI image. Love the eyes with the reflection. Not so sure about the texture structure on the nose tip, but as I understood this is only a test texture for the skin shader.

Thanks and yes it's a basic zbrush spray and dot alpha all over.  Will be tweaking face today, then start doing proper texturing.  Xyz alphas may be my choice along with some hand painted colour maps.  There is 3 bump slots so I will do 3 separate layers.  I need to do these temp phases to keep me motivated.

These may be enough for mu purpose.  https://texturing.xyz/collections/human/products/alphaskinface-01

Dan 

• Topic Author
  • New in Vray 3.5 we have a Hair shader (Vray-HairTxtInfo) that works with both Vray hair materal and the new ALhair.  This lets you control many aspects of the hair including the opacity along the length.  This gets you a nice soft look to the tips without making the hair thin at the tips.  Also it doubles as a nice Alpha maker for transparency maps.

For still renders one can wait for 40 min for a render but for animation thats not a choice so other hair solutions is needed.  Hair cards are the way to go that can be made dynamic.  The problem is getting a decent hair texture and alpha that matches the hair your rendered.

Below is a example of using the new shader to aid in producing both the hair texture colour and alpha, and how well it looks at render time.  It looks as good as the real hair render, yet a 1hr render on a laptop takes only a 26 seconds on a plan geometry card.  Further tests coming soon with the actualy application of it in use.

zvc3WL4.jpg

Dan

• Topic Author
  • 6min on slow laptop  one single plane with texture and alpha.

engi5oT.jpg