Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Masterpie

large file optimization

• Topic Author
  • Hello,i have a quite big scene here,a village(it's not complete yet) with a lots of objects and materials,what are the best optimization methods for reducing the file size,better viewport performance e.t.c.

firstly i want to tell you that i have a 2 very large jpegs (20000X20000) which i use them on my ground - how to deal with them - is it better to use xref for them or which is best way to deal with such a large textures

or you can't do nothing about it?,it's just about your hardware specs?

and secondly is it better to convert every object to instance or to connect as many objects as you can into one,because i read somewhere that if you have less objects is better - like,for example, is better if you have 1 object with 1000 polygons rather than having 100 objects with 10 polygons on each of them(same amount geometry)

so does C4d  is dealing better with a lot of instances or less objects(we're talking about same amount of geometry)

Using the Connect and Delete command can reduce the number of individual objects which helps a lot. Baking textures is another way to speed things.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks,so you say making less objects is better than having many instances?

so when is better than to you use instances?,because i'm quite confused

3 minutes ago, Masterpie said:

Thanks,so you say making less objects is better than having many instances?

so when is better than to you use instances?,because i'm quite confused

connecting object is faster than instances , but instances can be edited very easy 

• Topic Author
  • ok,i quite thought that to,that's why i had to ask this again....because someone else here said that instances are better

so what about the big textures that i have - how to bake them? i can tell you that the textures are applied  to a simple planes,don't need reflections or something else on them,i have just an alpha channel on one of them...so is there a reason to bake them? - i'm not familiar with baking

or is it better to use Xref with these objects on which these textures are applied?

Leave the textures as is. Just make sure you scale them down in the viewport, or disable 'em completely with a display tag.

I personally would keep every building in this village in a separate c4d file and use Xrefs at the end to merge everything in a single project but from my experience with Xrefs, they tend to make the loading time of the project significantly longer.

Ahmed

• Topic Author
  • yes,thanks, i understand that,but i quite need this textures to be shown very often (they are scaled down already...but is this really matters?) and i was thinking maybe i could do something also to speed up the rendering...or there's nothing that can be done about it?

also does more ram will help for viewport with these large textures or just the graphics card matters?...by the way i'm on 16gb ram and GTX770

for the texture , in the material , got to defter tab , then define the preview size 

and use the physical renderer will give you faster renders 

6 minutes ago, Masterpie said:

yes,thanks, i understand that,but i quite need this textures to be shown very often and i was thinking maybe i could do something also to speed up the rendering...or there's nothing that can be done about it?

also does more ram will help for viewport with these large textures or just the graphics card matters?...by the way i'm on 16gb ram and GTX770

More (Unused) RAM won't help. Keep a look at the task manager. If your RAM is getting filled up, then yes, you need more RAM, otherwise, don't bother.

Don't bother with a new GPU too, It won't help either. CINEMA 4D's viewport performance is terrible, going over the top with a 980TI even won't help that much as you think.

For the texture, keep 'em scaled 2048 or 4096 max, higher than that and you definitely would experience even lower performance

Proceed with caution when increasing the Texture Preview Size. Higher settings require more RAM and increase the file size of the CINEMA 4D scene. OpenGL is also affected because the texture previews must be loaded into the graphics card’s memory.

Rendering wise, This depends on the project itself. Are you using GI ? Standard or Physical or 3rd-party ? AO ? Blurry reflection ? 
    Give me more details and a few screenshots from the project itself if possible.

• Topic Author
  •  

13 minutes ago, aelhofy said:

Proceed with caution when increasing the Texture Preview Size. Higher settings require more RAM and increase the file size of the CINEMA 4D scene. OpenGL is also affected because the texture previews must be loaded into the graphics card’s memory

so ram and graphics card do count after all for the viewport if you using higher preview size

• Topic Author
  • 13 minutes ago, maliohammad said:

for the texture , in the material , got to defter tab , then define the preview size 

maybe you wanna say editor tab...i know about that

2 minutes ago, Masterpie said:

so ram and graphics do count after all for the viewport if you using higher preview size

They do IF yours is getting filled. If they're not getting filled, then no.