Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Masterpie

large file optimization

• Topic Author
  • ok i understand,thanks  

i kinda slightly deviate the topic from my first question....so aelhofy..or any other- what do you think about using instances or connect objects as one,which is better?

for example in a building

11 minutes ago, Masterpie said:

ok i understand,thanks  

i kinda slightly deviate the topic from my first question....so aelhofy..or any other- what do you think about using instances or connect objects as one,which is better?

for example in a building

I'm not sure if there's a noticeable performance improvement when connecting objects. I personally would approach a similar project by using Xrefs for the actual "unique" objects, so I can easily edit them without having to solo things and waste time and then use Instances if you're having multiple copies of it.

• Topic Author
  • but does C4d will runs better if i use Xrefs? then why not using also Xrefs on this textures?

Just now, Masterpie said:

but does C4d will runs better if i use Xrefs?

Technically, it should.

then why not using also Xrefs on this textures?

I'm not sure you understand exactly how Xrefs works.

XRefs are references to external Project files and make it easier for Projects to be edited by several people. 

FpqNCGE.jpg

If you won't be doing any animations to these building, Keep the Xref as a generator. That should make loading the file faster.

Generator

XRef objects can now be defined as Generators. No individual objects will then not be imported into the master Project and the XRef object will quasi instance the reference Project (as was done with older XRef projects). This lets you keep the master Project’s file size to a minimum. The disadvantage: Individual objects can no longer be modified, linked to Expressions or animated within the master Project. The XRef object itself can, however, still be animated or deformed.

pWzuvQ2.jpg

• Topic Author
  • 3 minutes ago, aelhofy said:

I'm not sure you understand exactly how Xrefs works.

XRefs are references to external Project files and make it easier for Projects to be edited by several people. 

yes i maybe don't understand exactly.....i was referring to use Xrefs on objects on which these textures are applied,can't i do that? 

and if it's possible wouldn't be that better?

yes i maybe don't understand exactly.....i was referring to use Xrefs on objects on which these textures are applied,can't i do that? 

and if it's possible wouldn't be that better?

Since the floor is a single plane. Xrefs would be quite useless there.

• Topic Author
  •  

2 minutes ago, aelhofy said:

Since the floor is a single plane. Xrefs would be quite useless there.

that i surely don't understand,why is that?

1 minute ago, Masterpie said:

that i surely don't understand,why is that?

Well, I advice you to read more about Xrefs from the Help

Manual -> Reference -> CINEMA 4D -> CINEMA 4D Prime -> Create Menu -> XRefs

• Topic Author
  • :) ok that i was intending to do also

• Topic Author
  • so i read it but i still don't understand why you say it's quite useless in this case...maybe i'm quit tired already,here it's late in the night

but i find that instead,i don't know for sure if that helps for my project - i think it does

For example, it could also really be useful for architectural visualization work, with one member of the team working on geometry, while another one works specifically on materials and shaders, and one person assigning XRef materials to specific XRef objects (or regular objects) in the Master Project as the project moves along

i'm mentioning once again that my textures are very big,around 20000x20000

connect object works better than instances if you poly count is reasonable , for example 3-5 million , but if your poly count above that (10-30 million ) instances works better 

this is a video that I made earlier 

ps: you can use the technique in the video with one object , by making the clones count = 1