Here's a file which allows you to make your own cloth using the tips of invisible Hair but it allows all the effectors, such as Shader, Random, Formula, etc, to be used on the cloth to give the precise look you want instead of being at the mercy of dynamics.

Cloth With Controls.c4d.zip

Whoever said that things don't make you happy obviously didn't have Cinema 4D

That is great and makes my head hurt in the correct fashion. Thanks for sharing!

• Topic Author
  • Thank you!  Glad you like it 

Wait till you see some of the incredibly cool spinoffs I'm going to do from this technique

It's like having the X particles XP skinner built into Cinema 4D without the expense 

Thanks again for all your help with this. I'm starting to understand expresso a little better now. Here's a scene i was able to create by adopting your layout.

Sketch_062916.c4d

My expresso group is far from elegant though. basically I had to copy the entire chain for each segment and reference a different hierarchy each time. I also had to add in increments of ten on each chain to the index output of the object index node before sending it into the point index input.

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Very clever! It shows you now really know your Xpresso.

I couldn't think of a way to not make it modular like you did. Iteration Node wouldn't work.

• Topic Author
  • Alec: I figured out how to do it with the single module after all.

The code might have a few new tricks for you. Check out how the stream of 0-99 index numbers is used to cycle through the Guides and the Segments sequentially.

Cloth Plane 3.c4d.zip

(high resolution revised file uploaded and prior one deleted)

Wow nice job. Modulo seems like a very powerful function. I'm glad I know what it does now and that it's there.

So that should make it easier to add in more segments and get more details without having to make individual settings for each segment.

• Topic Author
  • Thank you

Yes, Modulo is really handy

Now you should be able to make really high resolution cloth objects. I'm going to make a practice one now so I can see fine displacements from the shaders and effectors.

Have fun!

• Topic Author
  • airbusch: Thanks!

I'm having fun doing a million spinoffs with Hair Xpresso. It's amazing what you can do with it.