Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

teknow

Hair question

• Topic Author
  • Does anyone know of a way to pin the end points of the hairs rigidly so they don't flop around dynamically yet leave the rest of the hair dynamic. It's easy with the base but I can't find a way for the end points.

Astrocyte.c4d.zip

I don't know how to do this , but may this plugin helps :Spline Guide /code.vonc.fr

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the link! That may do it and I'm looking forward to exploring uses of that plug-in. It looks powerful.

His Proc3Durale is superb.

I'm also going to try and fix the positions of not just the last point of a guide as I do currently but the last 4-5 and moved sequentially out from the last one using Xpresso.

You can use the xpresso Hair Point node to give a hair guide's point  a mass of zero, then it won't move.  I think you have to use the Hair Selection node to iterate through the points you want to freeze the position and pipe the hair selection node into the index port of the Hair Points node.

I did something similar a while ago, when I needed to attach some geometry to individual points on a Hair guide.

Hope this helps.

49 minutes ago, southpaw said:

You can use the xpresso Hair Point node to give a hair guide's point  a mass of zero, then it won't move.  I think you have to use the Hair Selection node to iterate through the points you want to freeze the position and pipe the hair selection node into the index port of the Hair Points node.

I did something similar a while ago, when I needed to attach some geometry to individual points on a Hair guide.

Hope this helps.

I will try this method

didn't know about this node before 

• Topic Author
  • That was just the kind of answer I was hoping for!

Thank you

I've gleaned a bunch of pearls from you over the years

• Topic Author
  • southpaw: any chance you can post an example file on how you got that to work?

On 23 July 2016 at 11:47 AM, teknow said:

southpaw: any chance you can post an example file on how you got that to work?

Here you go. It's a very basic test file. I've commented the expresso as best I can, although it's nothing complex. If you look in the documentation for Hair Nodes, and Hair Selection Nodes, you'll understand what I've done. 

Hope this helps.

Hair Frozen Points.c4d

• Topic Author
  • Very clever. I had read the documentation but because I was trying to do the effect on all 20 end feet I was doing it wrong but now I see the what I was doing.

I'm also seeing that the Hair Collision Tag has some major limitations for preventing transections.

Thank you!

1 minute ago, teknow said:

Very clever. I had read the documentation but because I was trying to do the effect on all 20 end feet I was doing it wrong but now I see the what I was doing.

I'm also seeing that the Hair Collision Tag has some major limitations for preventing transactions.

Thank you!

Glad it helps, I've had trouble in the past but I think it was to do with priorities, which i've never really understood, despite coming back time and time again to the documentation. I found that the regular dynamics tags and connectors etc work better for collisions, there's also joints. But i guess it depends on your needs. 

Good luck.

• Topic Author
  • Here's a fun example file using your technique. I see that I will be using this technique a lot for organic modeling.

Hair Mass.c4d.zip

I see also that when I pin the end segments they stay in their original location rather than glued to the blood vessel. Now to work on some kind of file using both your technique and my original pinning technique using the Formula Node.

I still cannot do what I set out to do which is attach each Astrocyte project including its end foot to the blood vessel wall. I can get it to attach as in my original example file but then there is so much collision intersection of the blood vessel as to make it useless. But I will keep plodding along trying to discover a magical anti-intersection technique.

Thanks again!

Nice example,great idea.